This tense gives difficulty because students look upon it as a past rather than a present tense.It's a present tense describes events which happened in the past but are closely connected with the present.
- I have been a teacher for 9 years " still teaching from past till this moment "
- I was a teacher for 9 years " I'm not teaching now".
- He Has broken his leg ." It's still broken now"
-He broke his leg ." In the past but not connected to the present ".
If we bear this important point in mind we will avoid many tense mistakes.
We use the present perfect tense to talk about:
1-Past events and activities with results in the present
- Her last book has been a great success.
-I have ( I've ) lost my keys ." I can't open the door ".
2-Things that started in the past and continue up till now
- Haven't you finished your homework yet?
- I have worked here for 3 years .
3-An action in the past when we don't know or not interested in exactly when it happened.
-I have always dreamt about going to Spain.
-She has written the report.
We form the present perfect tense with:
A present form of have " has with the third person singular" + the third form of the verb .
- He has had this cough for a long time.
-They haven't seen each other for ten years " Negative "
-Has he decided what to do? " Question"
Time adverbials :
We use the following time adverbials with this tense
- Before- ever - never-seldom-just -sometimes -often ...
- We have never heard such a horrible news.
-I have often tried to cook ,always with disastrous results .
I have already finished my homework .
- Yet:" at the end of the sentence in negative and question only"
- We haven't seen this film yet.
- I haven't repaired my car yet.
- Have you eaten yet ?
- For / Since:
For :" tells us a period of time which the activity has taken ... "
since: " tells us about a point in time when the activity began "
- I have lived in this town for 2 years .
- I have lived in this town since 2010.
Give four sentences in the present perfect tense using the following time adverbials in your sentences:
Fill in the spaces by either: since or for
1-We have been friends ............. we were at school.
2- I have lived in this flat .............. five years.
3- He hasn't played the piano ...........two months .
4- They have learned English ............. 2006
Thank you and if you have any question, don't hesitate to ask ,and I'll willingly answer you all .