Replies

• IS THIS CORRECT ? MISS TANYA
    THIS IS THE ONE OF THE FIVE BASIC SENTENCE PATTERNS.
    SUBJECT+ VERB =SV
    1. SUBJECT + VERB
    = SUBJECT MEANS NAMES THE PERSON OR THING.
    = VERB MEANS SHOWS ACTON, LINK WORD, HELPING VERB.
    EXAMPLE:

NAOMIE WINKED

NAOMIE IS A SUBJECT
    WINKED IS A VERB
    IN THIS CASE ALSO SOME VERBS LIKE WINKED ARE INTRANSITIVE.

INTRANSITIVE VERBS MEANS COMMUNICATE ACTION THAT'S COMPLETE IN ITSELF.THEY DO NOT NEED AN OBJECT TO RECEIVE THE ACTION.
    EX.
    MY NEW COLLEGE ROOM MATE SMILES AND LAUGHS A LOT.
    = SMILES AND LAUGHS ARE INTRANSITIVE VERB.

MISS TANYA THIS IS MY ANSWER IN THAT QUESTIONS.

THIS IS ALSO THE OTHER ANSWER IN THAT QUESTION WHICH IS MY CLASSMATE:
    she hits the man with a STICK.
    2 MEANING
    SHE HITS THE MAN WHO HAS A STICK

SHE HAS STICK AND HIT THE MAN WITH A STICK

COULD YOU PLEASE TELL ME WHATS THE CORRECT EXPLANATION IN THIS QUESTION. THANKYOU AND ,ORE POWER AGAIN.

imie said:
    hi.... Miss Tanya How are you! i have a problem im studying at the university. in Korean country majoring in English sophomore.
    my problems is we are different understanding this questions from my professor.
    this questions:
    THE SCHOOL GRAMMAR YOU'VE LEARNED SAYS THAT EVERY ENGLISH SENTENCE CAN BE ANALYZED IN TERMS OF FIVE BASIC SENTENCE PATTERNS.

DISCUSS ANY PROBLEMS WITH THE FIVE SENTENCE PATTERNS.
    WHEN DISCUSSING THE PROBLEM
    YOU NEED TO PROVIDE APPROPRIATE EXAMPLES THAT PROVIDE SUPPORT FOR YOUR POSITION.
    YOUR DISCUSSION SHOULD BE IN ENGLISH.
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH AND MORE POWER.......
  • hi.... Miss Tanya How are you! i have a problem im studying at the university. in Korean country majoring in English sophomore.
    my problems is we are different understanding this questions from my professor.
    this questions:
    THE SCHOOL GRAMMAR YOU'VE LEARNED SAYS THAT EVERY ENGLISH SENTENCE CAN BE ANALYZED IN TERMS OF FIVE BASIC SENTENCE PATTERNS.

DISCUSS ANY PROBLEMS WITH THE FIVE SENTENCE PATTERNS.
    WHEN DISCUSSING THE PROBLEM
    YOU NEED TO PROVIDE APPROPRIATE EXAMPLES THAT PROVIDE SUPPORT FOR YOUR POSITION.
    YOUR DISCUSSION SHOULD BE IN ENGLISH.
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH AND MORE POWER.......
  • Hi! Sure, I could explain myself I were not so busy now. So, now I am giving you two addresses where you can read about those tenses. If you still have some questions after reading, I will answer to them

http://www.englishclub.com/grammar/verb-tenses_future-perfect.htm (The Future Perfect Tense)

http://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/futureperfectcontinuous.html (The Future Perfect Continuous Tense)

poor_love said:
    hi tanya how r u ?
    would you mind giving me some information about futuer perfect tense and futuer perfect countiue tense? thank you
    poor love
  • Dear Poor Love! (as a matter of a fact, why have you chosen such a strange nick?). Here is the explanation of the Causative verbs.

Causative Verbs

Jack had his house painted.

This sentence is similar in meaning to: Someone painted Jack's house. OR Jack's house was painted by someone. Causative verbs express the idea of someone causing something to take place. Causative verbs can be similar in meaning to passive verbs.

Examples:

My hair was cut. (passive)
    I had my hair cut. (causative)

Both 'make' and 'have' can be used as causative verbs.

Make

'Make' as a causative verb expresses the idea that the person requires another person to do something.

Construction Chart

Subject + Make + Person + Base Form of Verb

Examples:

Peter made her do her homework.
    The teacher made the students stay after class.

Have

'Have' as a causative verb expresses the idea that the person wants something to be done for them. This causative verb is often used when speaking about various services. There are two forms of the causative verb 'have'.

Construction Chart: Use 1

Subject + Have + Person + Base Form of Verb

Examples:

They had John arrive early.
    She had her children cook dinner for her.

Construction Chart: Use 2 Subject + Have + Object + Past Participle

Examples:

I had my hair cut last Saturday.
    She had the car washed at the weekend.

Note: This form is similar in meaning to the passive.

poor_love said:
    hello tanya how r u ?
    let me know what is Causative verb , and how can we use it in the sentences?thank you
  • Dear Nabil! "Have" and "have got" are synonyms but they are not 100% ones. We use "have " in the Simple Tense (present, past, future and also in all Perfect Tenses). It means permanent ownership. At least, we don't say anything more. As to "have got" it is used only in The Present Perfect Tense and it means that an action has already taken place but there is still its result in the present. When I say "I have..." it means that it is my habitual state. When I say "I have got..." it means that I want to say:

1. That I've just got it

2. It is temporary

Here are a few examples:

1. I haven't got any money with me (means now, but doesn't mean that I am poor)
    Compare with:

I don't have money (means, I am poor)

2. We haven't got any bread at home ( means, we have forgotten to buy it)

Compare with:

We don't have any bread ( sounds like always)

if it is not clear enough, please ask me other questions.

nabil said:
    what is the difference between ,
    have you got ? and
    do you have ?
    thank you dear teacher in advance ,
  • I am sorry Iya! I don't teach here. I just give advices and explain some things. You should buy or download Murphy's Grammar. It is one of the best I know for the foreign students.

Iya Francesca said:
    hi tanya! I really had a bad english grammar. I always forgot the rules in grammar. Can you help me start in learning the most basic grammar rules.It will be a great help if you can site examplkes and give some exercises.thanks
  • hi tanya! I really had a bad english grammar. I always forgot the rules in grammar. Can you help me start in learning the most basic grammar rules.It will be a great help if you can site examplkes and give some exercises.thanks
  • what is the difference between ,
    have you got ? and
    do you have ?
    thank you dear teacher in advance ,
  • Watch the new videos on Grammar I've just added.
  • All 3 conditions are mixed. So, in the main clause you have to use would + infinitive

1.........., I wouldn't have to...
    2..........., the grammar and spelling rules wouldn't be ....
    3..........., most developing countrieswouldn't require students ...

xxxxpapillon said:

cite="http://my.englishclub.com/forum/topics/what-do-you-want-to-know-about?groupUrl=practiseenglishwithtanya&page=8&commentId=2524315%3AComment%3A222439&x=1#2524315Comment222439">
    hi Tanya ,
    thank you for your answer , it's realy heplful . I hope that i got it . I did an exercice on my worksheet packet but i don't have correction for it , so plz correct me .Exercice : change the nonhypothetical statements of condition and result to hypothetical conditionals .

1. My parents didn't speak English when i was a baby. I have to learn it in school .

* If my parents had spoken english ............... , i wouldn't have had to learn it in school .

2. Modern Englich developed from several different languages : Frensh , German , Latin and even Norwegian . As a result , the grammar and spelling rules are very irregular .

*If modern English hadn't developed from ............., the grammr and spelling rules wouldn't have been very irregular .

3. English became a language of international business after World War II . Most developing contries requires students to study it in high school .

* If English hadn't became a .................., most developing wouldn't have required students ...

have a nice day
    papillon

Tanya said:
    Here is an answer to your question. I believe it will be useful for many learners.

The Unreal Conditions

The unreal condition means that an action can't (couldn't) be executed. In other words, all unreal conditions contradict reality and say that the described action can't (couldn't) be realized.

There are three types of the Unreal Conditions. Let's consider each of them one by one.

1. The Unreal Conditions in the Present and the Future.

In this case, we must use The Subjunctive Past in the conditional clause. The form of a predicate is the Simple Past for all verbs except "to be". The last is used only in the plural form "were".

In the main clause a predicate is: would + infinitive without "to"

For example:

If I knew her phone #, I would call her right away. (now)
    If I were you, I would call her (now or later)

2. The Unreal Conditions in the Past

The form of a predicate in the conditional clause is the Past Perfect for all verbs. In the main clause, the form of a predicate is: would + Perfective. Perfective is Perfect Infinitive form without "to". For example:

If he had been here, he would have helped (some time ago).
    If I had known, you were in my city, I would have met with you (somewhen in the past).

In the past conditions we often use inversion, i.e.we say (write) the conditional clause in the interrogative form. For examle:

Had I known, you were in my city, I would have met with you.

It makes the sentence more emotional.

3. The Mixed (combined) Conditions

Such a condition means that one clause describes an unrealizable action in the present (future) while the other describes the same action in the past. For example:

If I hadn't got(ten) a pay raise(some time ago), I would be looking for a new job (now).

Have I answered your question? If not, please ask me more particular questions. In fact, I can tell more.

xxxxpapillon said:
    hi dear tanya ,
    first of all i'm so glad to be a member of this interesting group . I would like to ask you if there are any rules to follow while using the unreal conditionals ??? can you give us plz an explanation about this tense ?? have a great time papillon
This reply was deleted.