what daoes it mean : six pack ?

Hi guys,could you help me please?I was traslating from italian into english some descriptions about goods at work. In one of them , I found the description : six pieces into box. I tanslated it with : six pack forceps.it is right to say that in english?waiting for your help!Thank you allAstrid

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Further to Salem's "Due to my information"

Instead of "due" please consider saying:
    According to my information or Based on my information

cheers
    Richard

Astrid said:
    thank you very much for your help
    astrid

salem said:
    Due to my information , six pack is a set of cans sold together,they contain somekind of drink.
  • thank you very much for your help
    astrid

salem said:
    Due to my information , six pack is a set of cans sold together,they contain somekind of drink.
  • Due to my information , six pack is a set of cans sold together,they contain somekind of drink.
  • dear Tania
    thank you so much for your help.
    I have understand the sense now.
    thank you
    astrid
  • You should write "six pairs of forceps in one box" (if it is a box) or "in the set (kit/ pack)" (if it is not a box). "Box" is made from hard (not soft) material like plastic, wood, cardboard, etc. "Pack" is made from soft material like polyethilene, paper, etc. "Kit" is rather small. For example: first aid kit (we all have it in our cars). "Set" is more versatile. For example: set of furniture (rather big), tea set (dishes, not big), jewelry set ( a ring and earrings, maybe a neckless, very small)

Tanya said:
    It would sound funny! "Six pack" is slang, special slang as you see. It is not right for business letters unless beer or some gym apparatus are on the subject. Nobody likes to look or sound funny at business. So, it is always better to ask as you did.
    Astrid said:
    Dear Tania and Richard ,
    I wish to thank you for your help. Yes that's right. So i have to translate "six pairs of forcceps in one box". I wish to ask a question : as I wrote ( sixpack forceps) is not understandable to the reader? Thank you for your reply. Astrid
  • It would sound funny! "Six pack" is slang, special slang as you see. It is not right for business letters unless beer or some gym apparatus are on the subject. Nobody likes to look or sound funny at business. So, it is always better to ask as you did.

Astrid said:
    Dear Tania and Richard ,
    I wish to thank you for your help. Yes that's right. So i have to translate "six pairs of forcceps in one box".I wish to ask a question : as I wrote ( sixpack forceps) is not understandable to the reader?
    Thank you for your reply.
    Astrid
  • Dear Tania and Richard ,
    I wish to thank you for your help.
    Yes that's right. So i have to translate "six pairs of forcceps in one box".
    I wish to ask a question : as I wrote ( sixpack forceps) is not understandable to the reader?
    Thank you for your reply.
    Astrid
  • Thanks, Richard! I didn't know about that.

Richard Potvin said:
    Hi Astrid, we also say "six pack" to describe well developed abdominal muscles,
    as in the expression "six pack abs".
  • Hi Astrid, we also say "six pack" to describe well developed abdominal muscles,
    as in the expression "six pack abs".
  • Dear Astrid! I think you mean there are 6 pairs of forceps in one box. Is that right? If so, you should translate it as "six pairs of forceps in one set (or in one box)". We usually say "six pack" about beer.
This reply was deleted.