It would be interesting to read the comments of people from different cultures about the myths and truths about their native cultures.I, for instance, do not agree that they say, Russian women are the most beautiful women on Earth. That's an exaggeration. It is surely nice for Russian women to hear that, but it just sounds too good to be true. :)What are the things you hear about your own culture? pls share.

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• People may have many prevalent impressions about a specific culture. The question is, whether those ideas are right or wrong. For me, it depends.

To begine with, bangali people love food. Many believe fish is so abandent in Bangladesh that it's a compulsory item in our daily meal. But the truth is, fish is still on damand and for poor people it's not easy to buy. Reather then fish, poultry items are now very populer among natives due to its availability and low price.

Although, many people have misconception about our food habit, we have a strong reputation regarding our language. Bengali is the state language and most of the population speak Bengali except some ethnic group of people lives at hill-track. Bengali is considered as the primary language of instruction in schools and colleges, however in university most of the courses are tought in English. 

In addition, we have unique trand of fashion. Women usually wear Shari and men wear Panjabi in major festivles.

In conclusion, people from abroad have few misconception about Bangali culture such as our food trand, however some of the ideas about our intence passion about Bengali language and our clothing is true.

• Such a nice thread!! and Once upon a time, there were really some serious persons about discussions, reading writing...

• I'd like to tell more about my nation. Ukrainians are said to be very hospitable people and that is true. We like to receive guests very much. We even enjoy parties during such hard times like now. It is just a pleasure to think a menu over, to buy all necessary foodstuffs, to cook and to lay the table. Most of women cook very well here and like to decorate the table and so do I. Besides, we like to sit at the table for long talking about everything. Certainly, we also listen to music and dance at the parties. But most of all we like to talk. And what do your parties look like? It will be very interesting to know! Please, reply!
  • Hi! Nice to have you in my group. I've read much about Oriental cultures but they have always been and will remain the mystery for Europeans. Thank you for the story about the Great wall. There is nothing inordinary that living there you had to look for information about it in the net. We are all the same all over the world. I have been born in a very ancient and beautiful Kiev city and what surrounds me is just natural for me for I've seen it since the birth. I do know history of my city but it is thanks to my grangfather who adored this city and my interest in history and some experiense in guiding. Thank you for your comment and , please, stay with us.
  • hi guys! i'm a Chinese girl. In China, there is a saying:"He who has never been to the Great Wall is not a true man."i prefer the Chinese words:"不到长城非好汉". Any traveller from another city(out of Beijing, the capital of china)or country does not want to miss the Great Wall. But as a local, i nearly know it about nothing, except "it is one of the wonders of the world." I find some info. from internet, and post here to share with you guys, hope you enjoy it,and welcome everybody come to visit:
    The Great Wall of China is called the "Ten thousand Ii Great Wall" in Chinese. In fact, it's more than 6 000 kilometres long. It winds its way from west to east, across deserts, over mountains, through valleys till at last it reaches the sea.
    The Great Wall has a history of over twenty centuries. The first part of it was built during the Spring and Autumn Period. During the Warring States Period, more walls were put up to defend the borders of the different kingdoms. It was during the Qin Dynasty that the kingdom of Qin united the dif ferent parts into one empire. To keep the enemy out of his empire, Emperor Qin Shi Huang had all the walls joined up. Thus, the Great Wall came into being.
  • I want to add about our countries. Both Russia and Ukraine are said to read very much. We are considered to be the most readable nations. And that is true. We love books and read much. You can hardly find at least one pesron who can't read here. And I was really surprised when about 10% of the most developed country, the US, turned out to be illiterate in direct sense of the word. Many people asked me to read something in the stores or to fill out some forms at the Post Office, bank, etc. I've started this discussion because I 'd like to know more about educational systems in different countries. I hope you will support me.
  • Dear Tosin,
    Thank you very much for a wonderful story about your culture. For me as a Siberian it is very interesting to learn more about Nigerian culture, as there is such a big georgaphic difference between our lands.
    I loved your story! Thanks again!

Tosin Simpson said:
    I am a Nigerian and one thing that is common to our culture is respect for elders, we always address people that we are not too conversant with as 'Mr' or 'Mrs'. You are not allowed to address someone that you are not too friendly with by their first name.Nigerian are very friendly and also good looking. Apart from this, we are also very religious.
  • I am a Nigerian and one thing that is common to our culture is respect for elders, we always address people that we are not too conversant with as 'Mr' or 'Mrs'. You are not allowed to address someone that you are not too friendly with by their first name.Nigerian are very friendly and also good looking. Apart from this, we are also very religious.
  • Spidy, the funniest thing is that both Russians and Ukrainians have splendid sense of humor. We joke at everything including ourselves. And you may know there is such a saying: "If the nation can laugh at itself, it is the healthy nation". Spidy, I hope you don't mind if I correct you. You should have written: "it is a very good feature of ...", not "character".

Spidy said:
    Tanya said:
    Irina! I completely agree with you. In America, especially in NYC, I could say at once who was from the former USSR on the street if I didn't even hear their speech and they were dressed like Americans. My ex-husband couldn't undestand how I identificated them. If those people were even smiling there was some special expression on their faces. I can easily recognize our people in any part of the world
    Hi Tanya, Really it is the first time I hear about it. But do you know, Egyptian people are known by jokes.They tell jokes even in bad times and I think it is a very good character of the Egyptian. Egyptian man is known as "Joke`s son". I believe it.....:-)
  • Interesting discussion.

I love to hear other people's opinions. Keep on sharing those with us all! Have a nice day!
This reply was deleted.