Let’s try association technique

Hello, English language friends,I like learning new words by associations. It’s very funny. You can do it with your friends or colleagues.Just show a new word your friend and ask what association hi or she has and why, than say your own and than compare the explanations with the dictionary.e.g. What do you think about word ray? For me it sounds a little bit sharp and clear. I think that it should be a noun.So ray is a straight narrow beam of light from the sun or moon.Can we start?My new word is lane. How do you imagine it?

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello,
    Heaven(n): 1. The abode of God and the angels.
    2. Any place of complete bliss and delight and peace.
    3. Usually, heavens The sky, firmament, or expanse of space surrounding the earth.
    6. A place or state of supreme happiness: She made his life a heaven on earth.

The new word:Purpose(n)
  • Hi, everybody,
    I'd like to add more:
    A stork is any of various large wading birds, chiefly of the Eastern Hemisphere, having long legs,a long straight bill and typically having white-and-black plumage.
  • Hi,
    My association with tender is a song Love me tender, love me sweet….

For me celebrate sounds very ancient. How I imagine celebrate? It is the church and worship.
    Actually celebrate is an international word and it is clear for many nationality.
    Celebrate is a solemn rite, an adoration, a feast-day.
    E.G. Children like to celebrate a birthday.
    new word stork
  • Hi, The word Tender:

1)…showing gentleness, kindness, and affection…
    She was being so kind and tender.

2)…offer or present (something) formally…

He tendered his resignation as leader.What price should we tender for a contract?

3) …a vehicle used by a fire service for carrying specified supplies or equipment or fulfilling a specified role…
    Alexei signalled to one of the engine tenders.

These are not all the definitions, because there are too many of them.
    Here is another word:Celebrate (v)

s.a.bawazire said:
    Hi:
    first >>>it's good way for learning
    & thank u B.Aukse
    Dear` bentehawwagulzar
    PARTAKE= is to take or have a part or share, in anther word participate.
    the new one"Tender"
  • Hi Natasha, hi everybody,
    I agree with you. My idée was to discuss about association. You example is very attractive. I think this method helps to remember more words. It is like game how o make mountain out of molehill. In my view we can try this way. My idée was to discus how we feel the foreign language eg. how do you imagine word gloomy ? It is good think or bed, or word dawn. What it is an animal, a person or something related with nature… Do not check the words in dictionary just try to imagine what it is.
    Sometime when we read a book or new text we meet a lot of new words. To check all this words in dictionary is so boring… I think some word we can just guess….
    I suggest opening new discussion how to make mountain out of molehill and continue to discus about sense of words.

natasha yankovskaya said:
    Hello everybody! Hello B. Aukse!
    I see you give the definition for a new word, and it's the sense of your game. Actually, this game is played in another way:"Word Association is a common word game involving an exchange of words that are associated together". Once a word has been chosen, a player will find a word that they associate with it and make it known to all the players The next player must then do the same.The link

Here is an example: Dog,
    Cat,
    Fur,
    Coat,
    Enshroud,
    Night,
    Eye,
    Heart,
    Love,
    Hate,
    Dark

What would you suggest? Maybe,it's worth playing in another discussion?

Monika said:
    Hi,
    lawn has two meaning: 1)green grass around or front of the house the second meaning didn't come to my mind,just after i looked up the word in dictionary: 2)fine sheer linen of cloth or cotton

My next word:blossom
  • We can additionally make up sentences with these words.
  • Hello everybody! Hello B. Aukse!
    I see you give the definition for a new word, and it's the sense of your game. Actually, this game is played in another way:"Word Association is a common word game involving an exchange of words that are associated together". Once a word has been chosen, a player will find a word that they associate with it and make it known to all the players The next player must then do the same.The link

Here is an example: Dog,
    Cat,
    Fur,
    Coat,
    Enshroud,
    Night,
    Eye,
    Heart,
    Love,
    Hate,
    Dark

What would you suggest? Maybe,it's worth playing in another discussion?

Monika said:
    Hi,
    lawn has two meaning: 1)green grass around or front of the house the second meaning didn't come to my mind,just after i looked up the word in dictionary:2)fine sheer linen of cloth or cotton

• Hi,
    lawn has two meaning:
    1)green grass around or front of the house
    the second meaning didn't come to my mind,just after i looked up the word in dictionary:
    2)fine sheer linen of cloth or cotton

• Helo,
    Thank you, for dwarf. It is very interesting word. At first I thought that it is something related with courtyard:) Actually dwarf is an imaginary creature that looks like a small man.
    My new word “lawn”.
    See you
  • Hello B.!
    Your game is very interesting and useful at the same time,may I join you?
    For me lane is a narrow path or according to another meaning:a marked strip of road
    My question:dwarf,how would you described it?
This reply was deleted.