Reading strategy

We call it selective attention,To help you focus, scan a reading for specific information and ignore other information.There are too many details in a reading,too many words.There is no need to worry about them all,know what you want and zero in on it.

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Students almost always start to engage themselves as soon as they decide to read a text. That is not a good way though. Before you read a text, simply take a look at the title of the reading, look at the pictures if there are any and mark the paragraphs in the reading you want to read. underline the first and last sentences in each paragraph. Read them quickly and try to get a general idea of the text. You'll be surprised by how much information you can get just by doing the above which we call "Skimming".

We do it often in our daily life as we come across an article or a magazine a newspaper. We don't start to read, but we flip through the pages and running our eyes on the sentences to get a general idea. If we then want to get more into detail we slow down and "Scan" the article to find the details.

That's enough for now. Try to practice skimming next time you grab a text before actually reading it.

Shoot your questions.

Regards,

Alireza

• Before you read, decide your reason for reading, are you reading for pleasure or for obtaining information?

There is a difference and the way you approach is therefore different. If you are reading for fun, you have complete freedom, you can skip information, skim through the story, or even you can stop reading if you become bored. You can speed up your reading or slow it down. You can read any way you please.

In the other hand if you are reading for information, the story is different. You need to pay attention to what you read and if the word is blocking your way you check it up, you read slowly and try to get as much as you can from the text, you as yourself questions about what you are reading and think about it. The topic sentences make you think and you search for the titles and you want to make sure you don't lose any thing.

So think about the reason you are reading then start to read.

• Hello Alireza,

Probably you are right. I even didn't think of it. I mean I did it but it was unnoticeable for me because I always tend to choose interesting pieces to read and become completely engaged by reading and grasping what I am reading at the moment.

Thanks to you I have picked up a new phrasal verb, "zero in on". It was the first time I met it. :)

Again to the reading issue. I always when possible try to read out loud or in an undertone at least. This helps me to notice the words which I am not sure how to pronounce or even to which group of other words to stick it and get the meaning. For a wonder or not, but when I read silently this doesn't work.
  • Hello to all,
    I would like to exchange of my own experience about reading. I think at the very beginning a dictionary is necessary because you need to catch the main idea of your book. But later you can try to read without the dictionary. Just enjoy and read. Later you will notice that your book has very special vocabulary. Some words you will found in every chapter of you novel. I’m sure that this word you will learn easy.
  • very infomative thankyou for sharing it with us

Alireza said:
    When you learn a new word try to explore everything about that ...

Ask yourself,

How many syllables does the word have?
    Which syllable has the strongest stress?

If you can pronounce it correctly, the person you are talking to understand you better.

So let's try it now:

write the number of the syllables in each word and put the stress mark " ' " on the part or syllable that has the strongest stress,read the words loud several times and share them with your friend.

1. managers _____
    2. athletes _____
    3. chefs _____
    4. engineers _____
    5. singers _____
    6. musicians _____
    7. scientists _____
    8. lawyers _____
    9. actors _____
    10. flight attendants
  • Learn how to scan an article. When you scan you don't read every word in the article. Just look for the words that will answer your questions. For example if you are reading an article and you want to find out how many people took the exam, you only search for a number in the article as fast as you can, you just ignore all the other information in the article.
  • Learn how to scan an article. When you scan you don't read every word in the article. Just look for the words that will answer your questions. For example if you are reading an article and you want to find out how many people took the exam, you only search for a number in the article as fast as you can, you just ignore all the other information in the article.
  • When you learn a new word try to explore everything about that ...

Ask yourself,

How many syllables does the word have?
    Which syllable has the strongest stress?

If you can pronounce it correctly, the person you are talking to understand you better.

So let's try it now:

write the number of the syllables in each word and put the stress mark " ' " on the part or syllable that has the strongest stress,read the words loud several times and share them with your friend.

1. managers _____
    2. athletes _____
    3. chefs _____
    4. engineers _____
    5. singers _____
    6. musicians _____
    7. scientists _____
    8. lawyers _____
    9. actors _____
    10. flight attendants
  • thank you sir for this group which is the most important inorder to be good teacher

l want to enjoy this group if do not mind.thank you for reading my comment.bye
  • Thanks for sharing with us
    sound interesting, it definitely helps me improve my reading skills
This reply was deleted.