KDE.Org Released KDE SC 4.4.0

The KDE.ORG announces, of the release of the new version 4.4.0 (Codename: "Caikaku") of KDE desktop environment.

Kde desktop is a desktop environment for unix like operating systems. Like Linux, unix, bsd...

The announcement it self can be read at http://www.kde.org/announcements/4.4/

This means I have the update of  KDE on my schedule.. soon. Don't want to use outdated software. There seems to be many cool new features included and bugs fixed. Can't wait to see how will it work. :)

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I haven't used Fedora. I think I once tried to instal Fedora core a long ago, but failed.. Had some hardware issue. I believe Mandriva is easier. Mandriva is often considered as easiest linux.. So I suppose it's easier.

But it's not possible to compare.

Main difference is probably that.. Fedora is using Gnome as default GUI, while Mandriva uses KDE. Well, that is if I know right..
    But since user can chose which desktop environment he uses, it should not matter. You can install them all and make whatever one as default. Or install it without any Graphical User Interface at all and use just plain bash's prompt tro type commands. :)
  • Hello Dearest Hardi, i have not spent much more time in linux so i have not enough idea.
    i want to know from you which one is good " Mandriva or Fedora "?
  • I don't know.. If you don't have Linux yet, Then just chose one Linux distribution that is suitable for you and start to use it. :) That is how most linux users start it.

There are various ones. Some people recommend Gentoo linux to learn Linux throughly.. Some think it might be a bit difficult for beginner.

Well I like Arch linux, because it's pretty much universal.. All it's commands and architecture is similar for UNIX. So when you learn how to do something in Arch Linux you probably can do it also in other linux distributions.. Only Arch linux specific thing is Package manager "Pacman" That is program used for installing software, updating.. etc In Arch Linux.

Well just chose a linux distribution, with big community.. that have own support forums, wiki pages and etc. Then you won't have trouble to find help.
    Before I started to use Arch, I have used Mandriva.. Also tried Gentoo, Ubuntu, Suse and some others, but they weren't satisfiable for me..
  • Now available also for windows. http://windows.kde.org/news.php#itemKDESC440forWindowsavailable

Well I have updated and used KDE 4.4 now some days already. It's fine. It was worth to update. I made full system update. There was over 600 different updates available for my Linux system, all together with KDE, so it took some time to do, but it improved the system a lot. It was hard work to so many things at once. I should update more often, because it's really really difficult to find out where is problem when something is wrong among of all those 600 updates... to find out which one causes problems and how to fix it. :)
  • thank you for explaining about KDE, it will be very helpful who dont know about KDE
    Thank You Hardi............................................................................................

Hardi said:
    I gladly give all information I have. dear farid. :D

I made this topic, because I wanted to show people, that the screen of a computer isn't so poring as just could only display Ms. Windows or Mac Os. There's actually many other desktop environments that most computers users have maybe never seen or heard about. KDE is one of them.

Answering to your question. Yes KDE indeed contains applications that can be used for organizing and editing photos. There's also a portion of most powerful free photo editing software under linux "digikam" available for KDE.

But KDE is more than one application. It's a collection of software needed to draw the desktop to the screen.. decorate windows... Play sound, show messages... To make using computer easy and joyful. It deals with many things.

In early ages, every computer program looked different. They had different file open dialogs and file save dialogs. Everything looked and worked differently. Therefore it was very difficult for users to learn how to use computer programs. And that's where programmers came up with deskdop environment. In very simple, this is basically a collection of software that deals with all communication between user and applications. So now example the file open dialog looks exactly same in all programs that run in a computer.

While in Microsoft windows the desktop environment is a part of operating system. It's all integrated into system. You can only chose some few opinions, like what colors the windows are,.... U can change some themes, but you actually cant switch the program that deals with all that off and use another desktop in the place of the one that Microsoft included..(Well actually u can run whatever other desktop in windows too, but it would just be additional desktop the windows original would continue run somewhere in background).
    The Unix like systems have Desktop environment as a program that can be installed or uninstalled, or replaced with different one. And KDE is one of those programs.

As like in Microsoft Window and Mack, where you will get some additional software included with it. There is also a collection of software for KDE too. Like Games and a collection of educational software.. like a word game hangman example,.. And programs for Internet and for office work and so on.. And it's all free. :)
  • its good news for kde users
    its looking very nice
  • I gladly give all information I have. dear farid. :D

I made this topic, because I wanted to show people, that the screen of a computer isn't so poring as just could only display Ms. Windows or Mac Os. There's actually many other desktop environments that most computers users have maybe never seen or heard about. KDE is one of them.

Answering to your question. Yes KDE indeed contains applications that can be used for organizing and editing photos. There's also a portion of most powerful free photo editing software under linux "digikam" available for KDE.

But KDE is more than one application. It's a collection of software needed to draw the desktop to the screen.. decorate windows... Play sound, show messages... To make using computer easy and joyful. It deals with many things.

In early ages, every computer program looked different. They had different file open dialogs and file save dialogs. Everything looked and worked differently. Therefore it was very difficult for users to learn how to use computer programs. And that's where programmers came up with deskdop environment. In very simple, this is basically a collection of software that deals with all communication between user and applications. So now example the file open dialog looks exactly same in all programs that run in a computer.

While in Microsoft windows the desktop environment is a part of operating system. It's all integrated into system. You can only chose some few opinions, like what colors the windows are,.... U can change some themes, but you actually cant switch the program that deals with all that off and use another desktop in the place of the one that Microsoft included..(Well actually u can run whatever other desktop in windows too, but it would just be additional desktop the windows original would continue run somewhere in background).
    The Unix like systems have Desktop environment as a program that can be installed or uninstalled, or replaced with different one. And KDE is one of those programs.

As like in Microsoft Window and Mack, where you will get some additional software included with it. There is also a collection of software for KDE too. Like Games and a collection of educational software.. like a word game hangman example,.. And programs for Internet and for office work and so on.. And it's all free. :)
This reply was deleted.