PRONUNCIATION of the DAY

I'll be posting the PRONUNCIATION (in the form of PHONETIC SPELLING) of a WORD everyday. My objective of doing this activity is to raise awarness among our Club members the importance of learning SPEECH SOUNDS and their SYMBOLS if they really want to solve their pronunciation problems.  

Now, this is what I want you to do! Look at the PRONUNCIATION for the day and type out the related WRITTEN WORD. I would appreciate it if you could also add your VOICE RECORDING of the pronunciation. It will help those who don't know how to read the PHONETIC TRANSCRIPTIONS. Make use of this opportuntiy to improve your pronunciation or help others with their pronunciation. Here's your very first PRONUNCIATION. 

PRONUNCIATION of the DAY - 1

2975793139?profile=RESIZE_710x

You can use the "voice recorder" below to record your pronunciation and play back the recording to listen to your pronunciation. This voice recorder does not save your recordings, thus you can record your voice as many times as you want until you perfect the pronunciation of a word.   

Powered by Vocaroo

If you want to RECORD the PRONUNCIATION given daily and SHARE it here with us, you can use the online tool called "CHIRTBIT". Check the home page of this group to learn how to use the tool.

NOTE: For your easy access and practice, I have compiled all the PRONUNCIATIONS posted below at the PHOTO page of the Group. Check it out!

You need to be a member of myEnglishClub to add comments!

Join myEnglishClub

Replies

• You said /ˈkɒmbɑːstəbl/. It should be /kəmˈbʌstəbl/.

• Hi Gabriel..Interesting observation. Would you mind posting your version of this word? It's just that not dropping that schwa sound after /k/  still sounds pretty good. I mean...for not a native speaker I think it is acceptable. Unless one wants to imitate natives 200%...which is practically impossible for the majority of learners.  

Thanks. I was wondering what you would say about this activity here. I find it pretty attractive and interesting for users. Shaheen seems to be brave enough to challenge himself. A good example for others.

• Hi, O.M. Thanks for your comment. I appreciate it!
      Sure, I can share my audio pronunciation!

It's not about dropping the /ə/ vowel sound.
      He replaced /kəm/ with /kɒm/; /bʌs/ with /bɑːs/ and shifted the stress from the second syllable to the first syllable. That changed the pronunciation sound different from the given phonemic transcription (pronunciation spelling). It's similar to changing /kəmˈpjuːtə/ to /ˈkɒmpjuːtə/ even though people will understand it is "computer". But I’ll still tell the participant that it should be /kəmˈpjuːtə/ not /ˈkɒmpjuːtə/. That's exactly what I'm doing here - making sure they use the correct sounds and stress the right syllable. 

Well, it's not about whether acceptable to the non-native speakers but can a person read the phonemic transcription correctly. That's what I pay attention to! 
      Again, I'm not asking anyone to imitate the native speakers 200% but only read as per the phonemic transcription. It is easy for any non-native speaker of English if he knows the 44 speech sounds and how to blend them. 

Yes, it's impossible to imitate or mimic like the native speaker but it is not impossible to read the phonemic transcriptions correctly. 
      I've been teaching people to read the phonemic transcriptions for past 9 years. My youngest student was only 10 years old and the eldest was 58. Every single one of them mastered the skill in just one month. They can pronounce all the words listed in the dictionary accurately as shown by the phonemic transcriptions! Please note that all the (British) phonemic transcriptions given in the dictionary are based on RP, short for Received Pronunciation. It is the neuturl accent taught all around the word in non-native speaking countries. 

Actually, when I first started this activity, I indeed asked people to share their audio pronunciations as well besides posting the written words.
      I'm glad to hear that you find this activity pretty attractive and interesting. Sadly, only ONE MyEC member is participating regularly. Yes, Shaheen deserves a round of applause for his courage to post his audio pronunciations with us.

• Thanks for such a detailed reply, Gabriel. It's nice what you do. Your students must be proud of their achievements )))

All the best )))

• Check this out on Chirbit

• Good pronunciation, indeed. Thanks for the example....But...have to admit the one that is below doesn't differ that much as I thought it could be )))

Thanks again.

• Mmm... you said "the one that is below doesn't differ that much". Meaning, you are admitting that there is still a slight difference somehow. That's the difference that I told Shaheen when I gave my feedback on his audio pronunciation of the word "combustible". 

May be, just may be, (no offence) it's because you don't the difference between /ə/ and /ɒ/; /ʌ/ and /ɑː/; stress on /bʌs/ instead of /kɒm/ (it should have been /kəm/ where we never stress the schwa or syllable with a schwa). Anyone that knows about phonemes and stressed syllables will tell the same thing that I told. But to those who don't know anything about phonemes (speech sounds) will say that either they find there's no difference between the two audios or there is only very slight difference and that it doesn't matter. That's understandable. Put it this way! If you were to be an examiner correcting phonetics test paper/auidos, your feedback would be exactly the same as mine. It's hard to make a person to understand all these if he has no knowledge in phonetics.

Do you remember my 10 years old boy that I mentioned earlier? Everytime I pointed out his mistakes (whenever he used the wrong the sound(s) and put the stress on the wrong syllable) he could immediately correct it and pronounce accurately. It was that simple for him! It's because he knows what is right and what is wrong. If Shaheen knows the 44 speech sounds, their correct articulation, their symbols, primary and secondary stresses, etc., he'll understand what I'm trying to say whenever I give my feedback using the sound symbols. I'm curious to know whether Shaheen could read the phonemic transcriptions or does he merely guess the word from the phonemic transcription and cross-check with a dictionary to find out whether he was right.Then, record his pronunciation after imitating the audio pronunciation. Note: The audio pronunciation of the Cambridge dictionary is a bad example to imitate! Quite often the speaker puts the stress on the wrong syllable.    

Again, as I mentioned in my previous comment, it's not about whether the pronunciation is acceptable; only a slight difference or close to the correct pronunciation, but it is  all about whether the correct phonemes are used and the correct syllable is stressed as shown by the phonemic transcription. Well, it's hard to explain to some about speech sounds and stresses via text comments, especially when the person doesn't know the two. He needs to listen to the person! Thanks again, O.M. 

• )))) I got your point, Gabriel )) Thanks for your time and attention ))

• Ok! ;-)

This reply was deleted.