SpamBuster

PRONUNCIATION of the DAY

I'll be posting the PRONUNCIATION (in the form of PHONETIC SPELLING) of a WORD everyday. My objective of doing this activity is to bring awarness among our Club members the importance of learning SPEECH SOUNDS and their SYMBOLS if they really want to solve their pronunciation problems.  

Now, this is what I want you to do! Look at the PRONUNCIATION for the day and type out the related WRITTEN WORD. I would appreciate it if you could also add your VOICE RECORDING of the pronunciation. It will help those who don't know how to read the PHONETIC TRANSCRIPTIONS. Make use of this opportuntiy to improve your pronunciation or help others with their pronunciation. Here's your very first PRONUNCIATION. 

PRONUNCIATION of the DAY - 1

2975793139?profile=RESIZE_710x

You can use the "voice recorder" below to record your pronunciation and play back the recording to listen to your pronunciation. This voice recorder does not save your recordings, thus you can record your voice as many times as you want until you perfect the pronunciation of a word.   

Powered by Vocaroo

If you want to RECORD the PRONUNCIATION given daily and SHARE it here with us, you can use the online tool called "CHIRTBIT". Check the home page of this group to learn how to use the tool.

NOTE: For your easy access and practice, I have compiled all the PRONUNCIATIONS posted below at the PHOTO page of the Group. Check it out!

You need to be a member of myEnglishClub to add comments!

Join myEnglishClub

Replies

• SpamBuster

@ SNY - There are TWO WORDS that have this PRONUNCIATION.
      ............ - colonel /ˈkɜː.nl/ (an officer of high rank in the army or air force)  
      ............ - kernel   /ˈkɜː.nl/ (a part of the nut inside the shell that can be eaten, e.g. "coconut kernel")   

If two or more words have the same pronunciation, they are called HOMOPHONES.  
      Here are a few more homophones:
      ............ - quay and key /kiː/ 
      ............ - suite and sweet /swiːt/
      ............ - aural and oral /ˈɔːrəl/ 
      ............ - flour and flower /flaʊə/

You see, how USEFUL it would be to non-native speakers of English if only they are able to read the PHONETIC SPELLINGS.  
      Note: I'm not using the Skype account of mine with the above "G" logo that for a long time. I couldn't access to it anymore as I've forgotten the password. What I'm using now is another account but with a different "G" logo. That has a 'baby angel'. (see below) I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused. Search for this one instead. This is the Skype name live:gabrielsowrian 

3277816815?profile=RESIZE_180x180

• Hi Gabriel, 

Lemme check n text you on gabrielsowrian. 

• Hey gab, 

Yes, my answer was Colonel but as I took help from Google I thought it wasn't wise to post answer. :(

Thanks a lot. Soon I will start learning phonetics. :) 

Did u see the pic in prevoous comment? Is that your active account on Skype? 

Mine is with same name and a blue haired girl pic. :D 

See u around. :)

• SpamBuster

The picture in your previous comment is my old account which is inactive / inaccessible. I have already explained about it earlier. I even gave you My Skype Name to the other account which I'm using. Please scroll up to the above comment of mine. Perhaps, you can leave your Skype here for me. I'll send you a request to your Skype instead. Thank you!

• You see, Gabriel )) ...I wasn't sure either...But still, I was right ))) lol.

Both words have a shwa sound...I would really add it in the transcription: /ˈkɝː.nəl/

• SpamBuster

Angy, for your info, my PHONETIC TRANSCRIPTIONS are based on RECEIVED PRONUNCIATION (Southern British English) which is a NON-RHOTIC ACCENT. This is why we don't see the sound of the letter "r" in the above phonetic transcription. 

• Yeah, I see, Gabriel. I just meant shwa sound which stands for unstressed vowels, like colonel/kernel - /ə/. It was just an addition. And, thanks for the information about non-rhotic accent (have no idea, actually, which it is..lol). I have been always thinking the symbols were all the same for all the dictionaries until I saw the American version, as an example, these two words will be shown like that: /ˈkərnl/:

Or..as an example, the word "nucleus" is /ˈn(y)o͞oklēəs/....God...I was really confused. If I read it according to this transcription,  I would never guess which word it is.

Just to show you a couple of your words:

/əˈnī-əˌlāt/
      /əˈfiSHēˌāt/

I got lost with these symbols...and what I read...has nothing to do with the real word.

• SpamBuster

Yes, you are right! The "symbols" used in the above sample words by the dictionary to show us the pronunciations are the normal letters of the English Alphabet, except the schwa. Thus, they look almost like the spelling of the word and even confuse us more. For example, the letter "e" can make 10 different SOUNDS. It's impossible to denote all the 10 SOUNDS just by using the letter "e" itself as their sound SYMBOLS. This is why the IPA SYMBOLS are indeed PRECISE in transcribing the PRONUNCIATIONS. The IPA uses different symbols for the different sounds that the letter "e" makes. It's crucial for speakers of English to learn the SPEECH SOUNDS, PHONETIC SYMBOLS and PHONETIC TRANSCRIPTIONS if they want to SOLVE their pronunciation PROBLEM. There is no best solution and effective way other than this if you ask me!      

• Lol, Gabriel ))) You are overestimating my skills. Though thank you. Nothing comes to mind but 

kernel

It might be this:

Resultado de imagen para kernel

Or that:

3277658246?profile=RESIZE_930x

• SpamBuster

Angy, you have nothing but praise, thus my words are no exaggeration. You don't know that you might be inspiring other fellow members of the Club to take part in this DAILY CHALLENGE. It's a matter of time to see them here!

Ok, you're right. Both the words "kernel" and "colonel" share the same pronunciation. Excellent job, Angy! Please check my reply to SNR about HOMOPHONES

This reply was deleted.