PRONUNCIATION of the DAY

I'll be posting the PRONUNCIATION (in the form of PHONETIC SPELLING) of a WORD everyday. My objective of doing this activity is to raise awarness among our Club members the importance of learning SPEECH SOUNDS and their SYMBOLS if they really want to solve their pronunciation problems.  

Now, this is what I want you to do! Look at the PRONUNCIATION for the day and type out the related WRITTEN WORD. I would appreciate it if you could also add your VOICE RECORDING of the pronunciation. It will help those who don't know how to read the PHONETIC TRANSCRIPTIONS. Make use of this opportuntiy to improve your pronunciation or help others with their pronunciation. Here's your very first PRONUNCIATION. 

PRONUNCIATION of the DAY - 1

2975793139?profile=RESIZE_710x

You can use the "voice recorder" below to record your pronunciation and play back the recording to listen to your pronunciation. This voice recorder does not save your recordings, thus you can record your voice as many times as you want until you perfect the pronunciation of a word.   

Powered by Vocaroo

If you want to RECORD the PRONUNCIATION given daily and SHARE it here with us, you can use the online tool called "CHIRTBIT". Check the home page of this group to learn how to use the tool.

NOTE: For your easy access and practice, I have compiled all the PRONUNCIATIONS posted below at the PHOTO page of the Group. Check it out!

You need to be a member of myEnglishClub to add comments!

Join myEnglishClub

Replies

• Hey Gabriel, 

It's naive :D 

I did search on Skype but couldn't find your new account. Getting the old one in search results. 

See you around. 

• Good job, SNR. Yes, the written word of the above pronunciation is "naive". (also "naïve") 
      Well, since you couldn't find my new account, give me your Skype ID. I'll send you the request. Thank you!

• PRONUNCIATION of the DAY - 26

3276735367?profile=RESIZE_930x

This PRONUNCIATION SPELLING (phonetic transcription) must be easy for you to read. But, you may feel that the PRONUNCIATION doesn't seem agree with the SPELLING of the related WRITTEN WORD. This is because of the inconsistency in the relationship between a LETTER and SOUND and also the SILENT LETTERS in the word. Ok! Who can type out the WRITTEN WORD of the above PRONUNCIATION? You can add your VOICE RECORDING of the pronunciation too if you want!     

• Hey Gabriel, 

I don't know how to pronounce 3 in this word. I did find the word but this time I took help from Google. :/

Maybe I should wait for others to answer it. :)

• Hi, SNR. Symbol  / ɜː/ stands for such letter combinations like "ir, er, ur, ear, or, our, yr". Examples: bird, term, burn, pearl, word, journey, myrtle. You know how to read these words.

Now I am absolutely sure you know how to pronounce this sound and next time you will easily find the needed word )))).

Thank you both, Gabriel and SNR,  for being so active. I love this discussion. )))

• Hey Angy, 

Thank you so much for your explanation. :) Yes, I like this group and discussion. :D 

See you around. 

• Yes, the SYMBOL /ɜː/ could look weird to those who are not aware that the PRONUNCIATION of English WORDS are made up of  44 SOUNDS and each SOUND is given a SYMBOL. They'll never get a permanent SOLUTION for all their pronunciation PROBLEMS until they learn the SPEECH SOUNDS and able to read the PRONUNCIATION SPELLINGS. It's sad that they can't spend a mere 12 days of their life to master the skill. Lol...! If the others give the answer, it would be only ANGY. (My mind-voice: "Where are you Angy?"

By the way, why don't you attend my FREE "Pronunciation Guidance Session" to know more about the SPEECH SOUNDS and PRONUNCIATION SPELLINGS? This is my Skype Name - live:gabrielsowrian

• OMGGGGG

oppps it was kernel. I have been pronouncing it wrong till now. I didn't know R was silent. 

I will learn phonetics for sure. :)

I did text u on the same id, Gabriel It has letter G as your profile pic. 

where can I find your free "Pronunciation Guidance Session"? 

Thanks, Gabriel :)

3277679961?profile=RESIZE_930x

• @ SNY - There are TWO WORDS that have this PRONUNCIATION.
      ............ - colonel /ˈkɜː.nl/ (an officer of high rank in the army or air force)  
      ............ - kernel   /ˈkɜː.nl/ (a part of the nut inside the shell that can be eaten, e.g. "coconut kernel")   

If two or more words have the same pronunciation, they are called HOMOPHONES.  
      Here are a few more homophones:
      ............ - quay and key /kiː/ 
      ............ - suite and sweet /swiːt/
      ............ - aural and oral /ˈɔːrəl/ 
      ............ - flour and flower /flaʊə/

You see, how USEFUL it would be to non-native speakers of English if only they are able to read the PHONETIC SPELLINGS.  
      Note: I'm not using the Skype account of mine with the above "G" logo that for a long time. I couldn't access to it anymore as I've forgotten the password. What I'm using now is another account but with a different "G" logo. That has a 'baby angel'. (see below) I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused. Search for this one instead. This is the Skype name live:gabrielsowrian 

3277816815?profile=RESIZE_180x180

• Hi Gabriel, 

Lemme check n text you on gabrielsowrian. 

This reply was deleted.