Pronunciation Challenges!

I'll use this forum as a thread to post pronunciation related challenges every now and then. I would like to see your participation. Please don't hesitate to ask me if you have any questions regarding speech SOUNDS, speech sound SYMBOLS or the Phonetic SPELLINGS.  A phonetic spelling or PHONETIC TRANSCRIPTION is actually the PRONUNCIATION of a WORD in the form of TEXT. If you know how to read the PHONETIC TRANSCRIPTIONS, you can tell the PRONUNCIATION of ALL THE WORDS listed in the DICTIONARY even without listening to the audio. It's that effective!

PRONUNCIATION CHALLENGE #1

Here's the menu from my favourite restaurant. Just kidding! Do you know the food items on the menu below based on their PRONUNCIATIONS? If you do, type out the WRITTEN WORDS! If you don't, try to learn them. It will be useful to you when you want to make an order the next time.

3060704311?profile=RESIZE_710x     

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Replies

• PRONUNCIATION CHALLENGE #15

5133971065?profile=RESIZE_584x
    SPOKEN ENGLISH vs WRITTEN ENGLISH
    Convert the phonemic transcription (spoken English) to written English.

• naɪs wɜrk ˈgeɪbriəl. θæŋk ju.

bʌt wʌt du ju min baɪ "həʊldʒə" ?

du ju min "həʊld jɔː" (BrE) ?

ɪnˈdid, æz juv ˈnoʊtəst, prəˈfɜr əˈmɛrəkən ˈæksɛnt. 😎

• You're welcome, Mohammad!
      Yes, /həʊldʒə/ is "hold your" in British English. In connected speech, the two words become one and pronounced as I've shown.
      My phonemic transcriptions are based on British English speech.

• NOTE: Hover your mouse over an IPA transcription to see its equivalent word.

• JUST hold your horses till we have an official communication then you can let the news out.

• That's superb! 

• PRONUNCIATION CHALLENGE #14

5077898479?profile=RESIZE_584x

SPOKEN ENGLISH vs WRITTEN ENGLISH
    Convert the phonemic transcription (spoken English) to written English.

Note: Anyone can read the phonemic transcriptions and pronounce all the words listed in the dictionary ACCURATELY, even without listening to Google audio at all, in just 1 MONTH. Please don't hesitate to talk to me for info.

• Imagination's more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.

• Excellent work!

• Great as usual 

This reply was deleted.