Let's DISCUSS: REDUCED ENGLISH

Hi and good morning. 

Let's discuss the problem of reducing English as a language. i want to illustrate what I mean:

Are you "FOR" or "AGAINST" such actions in any language? To my mind, when people try to make something easy and short somehow characterize them as lazy, not attentive and again lazy people. Personally I don't like when someone asks me using these reduced words and I usually ignore such messages as "HAI, H R U?" :) 

And what is your opinion?:) Thanks.

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I think there are many forms of English language communication...different genres of English. This is just a genre, and it's fine where it operates - on sms messages mostly, or sometimes in online chatting, or sometimes in emails. I teach at universities in UK and would obviously be horrified if someone used this genre of writing in an academic essay! So, it has it's place as a means of quick communication.

Don't forget that we speak different genres of English when we speak as well: formal English, friendly English, romantic English, flirting English, angry English, sad English, 'street' English with our 'hoes in da hood' etc...

Also we have loads of 'reduced English' in the form of Acronyms: UNESCO, FBI, NATO, NASA, CBRN, TGIA...etc

So I'm FOR reduced forms of English, in the right context. :-)

• I think people started to reduce or make shortcuts of english words when text message and chats were invented.
    Well, these reduced english words made chats more faster and easier,however, if we get used to it we tend to forget the correct spelling of the words.

Well, personally i dont recommend it especially for those people who are just starting to learn english.
  • Well, Valentina, maybe it's creative but I hope that reduced English won't become reduced thinking :) 

valentina said:

Dear Bee,

I understand that no hardworking bee can put up with laziness, but isn't it creative?:) I mean all those formulas (or formulae). By the way, thanks for the vocabulary (or chatabulary?:) If seriously, I can understand your feelings, but at the same time I realize that such changes in languages (not only in English) are inevitable. Language as well as clothes fashion  reflects our way of life whether we like it or not. If I used all that reduced stuff here or in a letter or in a private message, it wouldn't be appropriate I believe. But if someone is chatting to 3-5 or even more people at the same time, how can one use normal language? The problem really becomes problem when people use only that kind of language. They become poorer not only in words but in feelings and minds, I think. Most people in our club are here to improve their English, but some of them are staying only in the chatting room using just 'h r u', 'lol' etc.(etc. - you see? Poor Latin:) So how is it possible to improve something in that way except your typing speed? On the other hand, if you enter the chatting room you shouldn't ignore reduced language.   

Hi and good morning.  Let's discuss the problem of reducing English as a language. i want to illustrate what I mean: Are you FOR or AGAINST suc…

• Juhariyah Nur Hakim said:

NOW I know about the reduce words in english

Reducing words cause damage to the beauty of text.

Hi and good morning.  Let's discuss the problem of reducing English as a language. i want to illustrate what I mean: Are you FOR or AGAINST suc…
  • NOW I know about the reduce words in english

• My main job is to write on the computer, so I am fast while type running matters.  But when the matter of reduced words comes, I slowed down first to think then to write, otherwise it goes direct from brain to key board.  So reducing words is not help there either.

• Dear Bee,

I understand that no hardworking bee can put up with laziness, but isn't it creative?:) I mean all those formulas (or formulae). By the way, thanks for the vocabulary (or chatabulary?:) If seriously, I can understand your feelings, but at the same time I realize that such changes in languages (not only in English) are inevitable. Language as well as clothes fashion  reflects our way of life whether we like it or not. If I used all that reduced stuff here or in a letter or in a private message, it wouldn't be appropriate I believe. But if someone is chatting to 3-5 or even more people at the same time, how can one use normal language? The problem really becomes problem when people use only that kind of language. They become poorer not only in words but in feelings and minds, I think. Most people in our club are here to improve their English, but some of them are staying only in the chatting room using just 'h r u', 'lol' etc.(etc. - you see? Poor Latin:) So how is it possible to improve something in that way except your typing speed? On the other hand, if you enter the chatting room you shouldn't ignore reduced language.   

• I totally agree, Setareh :) Don't make this world reduced :)

• I just have started learning English, so for me lots of it is unclear or meaningless. If you know language realy good and know a lot of words you are able to associate-I have a lot of problems with some of it.

• In my opinion even for a native speaker and language lover this emotionless diminishing of words is not acceptable. Like I said in my earlier comments that it was used in machine to send messages to save telecommunication charges, but this 'reducing of word/s' destroys the beauty of text.

This reply was deleted.