Week 8a: Monday, 27 October 2014

(1) Discussion of the movie, The Ron Clark story

In the class on Monday, students can give a short oral review of the movie in small groups (with some random feedback to the class), but for your comments here, I want you to concentrate on a few questions:

1. What lesson(s) did you learn from the movie?

2. How would you describe Mr Clark (what kind of teacher is he)?

3. What impressed you the most of this movie (or what was the most interesting or exciting to you)?

(2) Identity: Picture association in small groups for discussion.

M - W8a - Identity.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I apologize for my late reply ,and what is another similar film about a female American teacher ,sir? ;-)

• It is called, "The Freedom Diaries".

• I like this teacher very much!I think he is a real teacher because he really care about his student,not only the marks.And I'm a little regret why he isn't my teacher.When he drunk milk as he said to his students,it really impressed me,because in China,this can't happen.I hope in the near future,there would be more teachers like him,all over the world.

• If you say something like this can't happen in China, Guo Hongtai, do you mean teachers aren't allowed to be like Mr Clark? Or do you only mean about that event where he taught them grammar and drank the milk every 15 seconds to get their attention? If this can't happen here, why do you want more teachers like Mr Clark?! But guess what, I had two teachers similar to him when I was at school, one in Primary school and one in High school! Okay, they weren't as perfect as Mr Clark, but they did shape my character for the rest of my life. But I guess there are not many such teachers and you're right, the world need more Mr Clarks!

• Yes,I will find the movies on the Internet later, I think it can give people strength, make the person become cheerful and optimistic when people fall into lonely . As saying gone, "no pain , no gain " On the road of growing up, I also should have a belief , and effort to accomplish the goal.
    • Zhao Ziwei, thank you for your reply, but why did you not do it directly after my comment to you? There is a function below each comment which you can use (click on "reply" and leave your reply!). You confuse me if you do it this way! Pse do it right next time - do you understand what I mean? ;-)

• I think this is a great movie and Mr Clark is a great teacher.Although most students have gave up and don't believe they can pass the exam,Mr Clark is patient and responsible and trys his best to help his students to restore confidence.And i think that Mr Clark not only help those students in learning ,but also let his student see the hope of life.I believe those studennt will succeed in the future and thank thier family and teacher-Mr Clark forever.
    • You are so right about that, Xu Yang, that Mr Clark also gave them hope for life. I believe that is one of the tasks of a teacher, apart from teaching, to guide the students on their life path and build life skills into them which they would require on their path. And like with Mr Clark, they would forever be grateful to such a teacher who cared enough to give of himself for their growth and benefit. ;-)

• I learn a lot from the movie,the most is that we are families in a class and we should respect each other.I appreciate most is a word" Dream big,take risks".Mr Clark is a kind people. He treated students as his childrens. I want to have a teacher like him.
    • I agree Zhang Tianjiao, Mr Clark is the ideal teacher as he had the ability to care for his students despite the difficulties he had experienced. Yes, he treated students as his children, but much more than that - he gave of himself in a selfless way and never thought of his own comforts first; it appeared that his students always came first in his life. What a good example to follow for us teachers .. ;-)

This reply was deleted.