Week 8a: Monday, 27 October 2014

(1) Discussion of the movie, The Ron Clark story

In the class on Monday, students can give a short oral review of the movie in small groups (with some random feedback to the class), but for your comments here, I want you to concentrate on a few questions:

1. What lesson(s) did you learn from the movie?

2. How would you describe Mr Clark (what kind of teacher is he)?

3. What impressed you the most of this movie (or what was the most interesting or exciting to you)?

(2) Identity: Picture association in small groups for discussion.

M - W8a - Identity.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I was sure to be left deep impression by the film "The Ron Clark Story". That's just what a good teacher should be like.
    We all know that one's habits or minds are quite difficult to change. Although Mr.Clark also feels depressed, things get to be better after his perseverance.
    The most impressive scene to me is that Mr.Clark found Tayshawn who had been fought by his father.How many talents have been obliterated by this question? Fortunately,the boy became more confident because of Mr.Clark's encouragement.I believe he will be an artist one day.And Shameika,and every student of his class all do well in their exam.
    Wish more and more people can find their children‘s talent.
    • Yes Sun Huanmeng, this one teacher's love and care for his students changed many lives - not only his students', but it appears that the parents and some of his colleagues' lives were also touched by his selflessness. We need more such teachers in today's world. But where are they ..?

• After watching tis film,i was crie.And i believed that love has no border.Teaching is the most selfless job in the world.Maybe,everysthdent com from different places,have different experiences.But,the teacher love them and hope them to be best .After watching this film i hope to meet a teacher like him.
    • Feng Dongli, I absolutely agree with you that love has no borders. But I get the impression that not many people believe that as I don't often witness that around me. If the people of this world would just acknowledge that and apply it, the world would become a better place to live in. But I unfortunately can't agree with you about teaching being the most selfless job ... Because there are too many teachers (most) who are just doing it as a job and they don't care about the students (some pretend to, but they don't really mean it). I haven't seen too many selfless teachers so far. Those teachers are very rare. I hope you would meet one one day!

• I learned a lot from the movie.The teacher always say,dream big,take rists.where there is a wil,there is a way.We should believe we wil win after make efforts.Mr Clark is an excellent teacher of great intelligence.He can always think of kinds of methods to teach those students.What impress me most is that Mr Clark teach students the history of the USA using a song.I really admire Mr Clark.
    • I think we all admire Mr Clark after seeing what he'd achieved with his students, Men Yaqiong. But of course, what touched one most, was his humanity (kindheartedness, compassion, mercy, sympathy). Teachers need to be like that to get the best out of there students. Maybe we are not trying hard enough; not giving enough of ourselves (as selflessly as Mr Clark) ..

• I think Mr Clark is a modle for most teachers.He is patient for his students who are his kids.He has different ways for different students,In his life,students are the one.That Mr Clark helped a student do the housework impressed me.But after that, the student's mother gone to law against his to the schoolmaster.
    • Yeah, I agree Wu Ting, Mr Clark was a true model teacher. If there were more teachers like him, the world would have been a better place (and more happier students!). And yes, it was impressive that he was even prepared to help them with their homework and gave extra lessons after hours. What an example to us teachers ..!

• Teachers should have enough patience to students.Every student is a angle.For different students,teachers must have different ways.
    Mr Clark is a kind teacher,In his eyes,every student is his kids.He treats them by his heart.In this movie,what impressed me is that Mr Clark teached the history by sing the song.Students learned history easily.
    • What do you mean about every student being an 'angle', Xi Rui? Do you perhaps mean, 'angel'? Haha, I'm not so sure about that; I've seen really bad students too! But I think Mr Clark was a 'born' teacher as he applied effective teaching methods, and his initiative and total approach to teaching were proof of that.

This reply was deleted.