Week 15b: Friday, 19 December 2014

(1) Tara's News

This is the last time we'll do the news. Students who haven't done the comments during the past week, will tell us the news first. So, if you are serious about improving your listening skills, please listen to the news; this is probably also the last time you would ever do it as students just don't visit this website any longer to practice their language skills by themselves.

(2) Class activity: Describing a car accident.

We'll divide into 7 or 8 small groups and follow the script in the attachment. At the end of the role plays, each group will report back to the class about the outcome of the accident report.

M - W15b - Role play - car accident.rtf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Nowadays,there are more and more traffic accident caused by so many cars.No matter how old the person is,only if he has money ,he can drive car.In this picture showed above,although the other driver should stand part of the responsibility,the old lady shouldn't drive the car herself with a child in her car.If a policeman come to ask details about the accident, it may appears to a big arguement.

The news told about a gunman who break into a downtown cafe took 17 people hostages,after 16-hour lasting, the night came,and fnally he was killed by the commandos,the gunman was known by the police because he has a long criminal history.No matter what had happened, the end is very good. 

• Thank you, Katrina!

• Oh!sorry,my mistake.
    3 years ago~
    • I knew you didn't check what you were writing as it is impossible for a 3-year old to ride an e-bike (but I had to go along with what you wrote)!

• In the traffic accident,I think it's may not only one people who should responsible for the awkward consequence.As a police,I would first ask the witness what happened at that moment,taking down every word they say.And it's also necessary to inquire the parties involed.I would reach true conclusion by contrast what they say.As a police,it's so important to be fair for everyone that I will carefully investigate the truth of the accident.
    • Men Yaqiong, in a perfect society, I guess one can rely on honesty from the police! But I wonder if there are any honest and fair policemen left in today's world of corruption and dishonesty?! If you know of one, please tell me as I would like to meet him personally! ;-)

• I think the old lady would be regarded as the killer.If police came to see the accident sence,I supposed he will according to all kinds of signs to judge the killer.
    In recent years,Traffic accidents became the high rates of death.Drivers did not be careful any more.To help the old mam has become a sentisive topic.I hope every one will strenghen a little love.
    • Wu Ting, nobody died in this accident; so, how can there be a killer?! Anyhow, a killer only exist when somebody killed another person on purpose, and not in a car accident (accept where government agents deliberately drive into another vehicles to kill that person). But also, it appears to me that you are not completely in touch with society today (maybe because you're a student), because it is mostly the rich and the powerful who drive as if they own the roads and cause accidents! The fact that the driver of the smart car is rich, doesn't mean he is innocent! Poor old mom; hope you would have some sympathy with her in your role play today!

• According to recent survey,there are more and more car accident happened in the road.So it is a hot topic for us to discuss.In the story,I think the Rolls Royce's owner should be responsible for this accident.In the road,drive so fast is wrong,and driver should pay more attention on it so that he can deal with any situation that happen around him.But the old lady also should repair her car often,because her car is old,that is easy to cause an accident.
    http://road.So/
    See related links to what you are looking for.
    • You are correct about the rate of road accidents increasing, Zhang Tianjiao. I read that China has more than 100 000 deaths every year from road accidents. And too many accidents happen from speeding and driving under the influence of alcohol. So sad, but a reality today. And if you bear in mind that China has the world's largest car sales market (selling a new car every 2.3 seconds), then this carnage on the roads would continue for some time to come ...

This reply was deleted.