Week 15b: Friday, 19 December 2014

(1) Tara's News

This is the last time we'll do the news. Students who haven't done the comments during the past week, will tell us the news first. So, if you are serious about improving your listening skills, please listen to the news; this is probably also the last time you would ever do it as students just don't visit this website any longer to practice their language skills by themselves.

(2) Class activity: Describing a car accident.

We'll divide into 7 or 8 small groups and follow the script in the attachment. At the end of the role plays, each group will report back to the class about the outcome of the accident report.

M - W15b - Role play - car accident.rtf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

•  I think the situation may be like this .On sunday morning, an old lady whit ther little granddaughter gone  to church, she was so  in hurry because of much house work need to do. when she drove on the way,she met traffic jam,and wasted  her much time, so she accelebrated. when she got a crossroad,unfortunately, it was the time the trafficlight change into red,and in this moment the old lady was passing the sidewalk with high speed。"no,no,stop!"But,it is too late ,they ran into together, fortunately, nobody got injury.but the expensive car got a long and big scratch, no doubt that, it will take lots money for repairing...   Then the officials came to the spot  made the wreckers and  all witnesses  records done。the case is still under investigation. the end will be known tomorrow‘class.~~~ 
    • Well Sarah, if the class decides on the outcome of the accident, I hope they would have some compassion for the old people ...! Does the rich man really need the old lady's money to get his car repaired?! Is it really about money?! It is time that the rich and powerful should be stopped exploiting the poor and defenseless!

• It reminds me of an accident I had 3 years old.
    I rode an electric bike to take my sister to railway.
    The accident happened to me on my way home.A taxi unexpectedly fishtailed around, skidding to a stop for driving a passenger just next to me.I have no time to stop my electric bike.The driver only saw the passenger but ignored me.I was just able to fit my bike between the taxi and sidewalk brick. The paint of his taxi was rubbed by my bike.So he asked me compensate his loss with money.But I didn't have money and bring my cellphone with me that day.Then he was going to move my battery of my bike and make it his own.I borrowed his mobile phone call my mother and policeman to ask for help.Traffic police and my mother came a few minutes later.The police judged that the accident was caused by negligence on the part of the driver according to the scene of the accident.The accident has a happy ending for me.
    So I would like to play the role of police to help others.They really help me a lot.
    • What?! You rode an electric bike when you were 3 years old, Shelly?! Your parents were irresponsible to have allowed you at such an age to ride any bike (let alone an e-bike)! You could have been seriously injured! I can't believe this! And a 3-year old with a cell phone too ...?! Come on, Shelly; it can't be!

Well, in your case it helped to get the police out to the "accident" scene. That was a real unscrupulous taxi driver and he would have exploited the situation as he knew you were young and couldn't really defend yourself. Most men are like that (yes, some hard-hearted women too, of course!); they are not "man" enough to admit mistake and take the blame for their actions. I'm glad your situation ("accident") had a happy ending! :)

• I like role play.If I am the bystander,I am a shortsighted (just like my real situation),so I can't see the accident clearly.But I will tell the plice the truth I can see and try my best to renew the accident.If the plice ask me something I don't clear,I would tell him.
    • Guo Hongtai, and what would you do if the rich man in the Rolls Royce was guilty and he offers you money (a lot of money!) to lie to the police that the old lady was responsible? Would you still tell the truth?! ;-)

• On a morning,people are going to work,time is very tight.so the man who are driving was so anxious.we can see a blue car was crashing into a red sports car.The drivers must be angry and feel unfortunate.The sexy lady was helpless,and the man driver have got out of the car,having no ideas about what to do,I guess he must be speecless with bad mood especially while the other car driver was a beautiful lady.and an old lady was stading by the road have truly seen it all.another person who was also on the way to the company.Traffic jam was terrible.I cannot understand why traffic police havn’t come.I’d like to say people are supposed to leave as soon as possible because damage to the vehicle may explode.

We must be careful though there are something urgent we have to do. 

• Haha, Zhu Qianfeng, you either didn't understand the script, or you didn't read it properly, or you have decided to apply your own interpretation! If the script that was supplied, was correct, the driver of the car colliding with the Rolls Royce, was a sweet old lady - but your sweet old lady was beautiful too! Does one still get beautiful old ladies?! Oh, now I see, your old lady in your script was actually the short-sighted bystander ...! Oh boy, she's old and she couldn't see clearly .. what a terrible combination for a witness! But, I guess, in your story, the rich man would let the lady in the other car go scot-free as she was beautiful ...! Haha, this can only happen in China! ;-)

But, at least I agree with you that people and the cars involved in an accident should leave the accident scene as quickly as possible so as not to block the traffic any longer (as soon as they have exchanged their personal details). This is what they do in the West if there are no injuries. In China, I noticed, people would block the traffic even for minor accidents involving only small scratches on their vehicles. China still has so much to learn from the developed world! :)

• As the information we have got is limited and one-sided,there are two possibilities who should be responsible for the accident.Now I want to image one side.The old lady is wrong and she did it on purpose.Even though we don't want to see that and her grandkid is also involved in danger.But it may really happen.The old lady has done this kind of things many times and she can get more money with her
    six-year-old grandkid.And thus she has the skills to prevent her and her kid from not being injured.She usually cheat those rich peaple and they will pay for it to avoid trouble.But in this time,the Rolls Royce owner has installed the camera in front of the car.So it recorded all.
    And I have went through this thing once and it was happen between a car and a bus I took and they had a collision in a crossing.I was frigtened by it.But the bus driver was really detached and let us get out peacefully and then I realized that there was a camera in front of it.
    Time flies fast,but it will always give us influece,and I think we all have already get improved by it,maybe we just don't realized it.Thanks for this time,It's really nice!
    • Haha Gina, I can see you are living in China ...! No one in his right mind ever causes an accident deliberately ... except in China, I guess, as some people can make money from it! I heard it also often happens when some old people would fake injury while walking in the street, and when a "good Samaritan" helps them, they accuse her/him and extort money from her/him. And in China, people pay, as you mentioned, to avoid further trouble. But I guess your second scenario may help the police to decide who was responsible for the accident (as it happened on your bus)!

Yes YXY, there is a time to teach and learn, and then the time comes to stop teaching and learning ... and our time to stop, is approaching fast. Thank you to the class too; the core of the class (those who were always present) made teaching really pleasant. I think the teacher would miss many of those dear students!

This reply was deleted.