Week 15b: Friday, 19 December 2014

(1) Tara's News

This is the last time we'll do the news. Students who haven't done the comments during the past week, will tell us the news first. So, if you are serious about improving your listening skills, please listen to the news; this is probably also the last time you would ever do it as students just don't visit this website any longer to practice their language skills by themselves.

(2) Class activity: Describing a car accident.

We'll divide into 7 or 8 small groups and follow the script in the attachment. At the end of the role plays, each group will report back to the class about the outcome of the accident report.

M - W15b - Role play - car accident.rtf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• the crash occurred when i was walking on the third street. Suddenly a car come to the edge and we were all psych out can not move.it failed to stop at a stop sign .run into with another black car,both of the car was breathe upon ,and the drive was injured.after ten minutes,the policemsn comes with the doctors,they takes the injured person to the hospital .it was very shocked,and i just do not want see this any more .I hope everyone of us try our best to stop that happen.
    MOVE DESIGN
    • Haha, I am not surprised that the cars involved in your accident are both black, Lily; because probably 70 to 80% of cars here are that horrible colour! In the West, black is the colour of death! Why do the Chinese fancy black so much? I have learned that when people associate with black, it is a sign of what their hearts are like inside - black! Further, you said that the doctors would also come to the scene of the accident as there was an injury ... Are you sure about that?! Doctors never come to accident scenes except if they are involved in the accident or drive past accidentally! They normally wait at the hospitals where they work for patients to arrive (even in China)!

• One day ,on the street ,an old car hit a Rolls Royce. Because the old car run the red light.The owner of the Rolls Royce is a young man ,he is so angry with the the old lady (she is the owner of the old car ,and the old lady's granddaughter of 6 years old in the passenger seat),his car was hit seriously.The young man argue with the old lady ,but she don’t want to acknowledge that she cause the accident .A shortsighted bystander see that ,he think the young man is so rude to the old lady,and he sympathy for the old lady and her granddaughter.So the
    bystander quarrel with the young man to help the old lady ,the young man feel crazy.
    • Huo Meng, you started off with a mistake ...! Old cars don't usually run the red lights! It's the rich and powerful who do that - I witnessed that with my own eyes, even here in Xingcheng! I guess you're right about the reaction of the driver of the smart car, but again, another error ... most men in China would get angry when their cars are scratched or damaged in an accident, whether they are young or old! Remember, this is a very patriarchal society where men mostly think they are right!

• This kind of condition often happens in our life,no matter where and when, although not always a Rolls-Royce.To be honest, I look forward to the role of the police. If I were the police officer, I’d let them calm down firstly, especially the old lady and her granddaughter that only six years old. Then,I’d ask them one by one. Of course, even if questions are same,the answers I got must be different somewhere.After all, the result is expected,isn’t it?Besides,the value of their answers also can have differences, for example, for the shortsighted bystander,I can not help doubting the whole truth of what he described because of reason himself. In contrast, I will pay more attention to the child's answer. Well,I can’t also get rid of the special case that she was reminded not to tell the truth by her grandmother.After a careful consideration, I find it’s really difficult to solve these common cases.By the way, the location where the accident happened doesn't have a camera there?It is the place that Rolls-Royce appeared!
    http://Rolls-Royce.To/
    • Good reasoning about the roles of each person, Liu Weifang; except for the driver of the Rolls Royce! You didn't speculate about he would be telling! Maybe you're right about the kid who might not be speaking the truth (kids often lie, but to protect their own family, they would lie even more easily!), but do you really think the rich man would speak the truth, especially if he was in the wrong?! I haven't heard of many rich and powerful people being honest (in fact, I don't know if they exist)! Haha, and do you really believe that the police officer would be honest and fair?! If the rich man offers him money to decided against the old lady, how honest would he still be ..?! But, you also mentioned that the result is expected. My feeling is, if their is a rich man involved (and the rich is usually powerful too as their money let them do what they want), the outcome would be in his favour! Is that what you meant by the result of this accident?! ;-)

• In this picture, I see two cars crashed into each other at the crossroads, and the owner of the red luxury car looked like a little panic. Many people standing there waiting for nothing. But I see a man who’s in blue jacket seemed calling the ambulance I think. If I were there I may just calling 112 as well, cause I do am lack of first aid skills, May someday I could learn some skills and save someone who’s in danger.

• Haha Long Yuan, the scene of the accident in the picture, is just coincidental! But, if you want to use that as your script for your group's role play, you are welcome! And if you want to make the driver of the Rolls Royce a rich woman in stead of a rich man, it's also okay as it doesn't really matter (as long as your group practice their language skills)!

• If I was the police, I will first try to collect evidence more and more, for the scene could photograph collection, first according to the field judge. Then, as much as possible to find witnesses. During interrogation, pay attention to their motions to see whether they say the turth. But first I want to guess, there are two versions, one is the old lady with her granddaughter, granddaughter of noisy so hit Routh las. Second Routh Las master rampage hit the old lady.Just guessing.
    • Zhang Ke, if I know what the meaning is of, "Routh Las", then maybe I can comment! Oh, and what does the police know about truth ...?! If the rich man offers them money to decide the case in his favour, truth wouldn't matter any longer (that's how I understand it works nowadays)!

This reply was deleted.