Week 15a: Monday, 15 December 2014

(1) Discussion on bad habits to continue.

Students don't have to comment on this as you have done it already.

(2) Compelling conversations: Talking about books and reading pleasures.

Please see the attachments. There are two lists of 18 questions each. We'll work in pairs and each partner will get a different list. On list 1, we'll answer only the following questions: 1 ("Did your mother read to you as a child?"), 5, 7, 8, 10, 17 and 18. On list 2, only the following questions: 5 ("What are some books you've read and enjoyed?"), 6, 12, 13, 14, 17 and 18.

For your comment, students can answer any of those questions, or tell me about a book you read and why you enjoyed it. You decide.

Compelling Conversations x1.pdf

Compelling Conversations x2.pdf

Compelling Conversations x3.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Wow Xu Heyun, you read that great work of Ernest Hemingway! Thanks for telling about that! You know that he received the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1954 (one year before I was born!) for that ultimate work of him! But I guess you probably read it in Chinese, right?! Well, then it was still a good reading! Oh, so you would have liked Santiago as he was a very tough man ...! ;-)

• It‘s so pity that I have never been told a story when I was a child by my parents because they are so busy.In my memory,what accompany with me in my childhood is picture-story books which has been difficult to be found in the market,and the story that impressed me very much is called "ShiCheng learn skills".It tells a story about a young man who's named Shi Cheng  learned skill from an old man and was told to find a treasure,he has experienced so much tough and at last he find the real treasure is to stick to his destination and never say give up as well as being kind.Till now,maybe I can't remember most of the details but it give me a various childhood.The first time I read about foriengn fairy tales is already in my primary school.Because of my Chinese picture-story books reading, I love Chinese words and Chinese claasical culture very much now.When I gradually group up,the books that imprssed me so much are so many that I can't count,such as A Dream in Red Mansions、Jane Eyre and Childhood and so on.In my extra time now,I still try to read different kind of books to further myself more because I enjoy the feeling of reading in a quient environment.

BUSY Accounting Software with Inventory, Billing, VAT, Excise, Service Tax & TDS
    BUSY - Business Accounting Software with invoicing software including excise accounting software, financial accounting software, VAT accounting softw…
    • I'm sorry to read that you've never been read to in your early childhood (or being told some childhood stories), Katrina. That is something children should all experience, I think. Luckily, you made up for that later with Shi Cheng's stories! Oh, and you have also read "A Dream in Red Mansions" like Amy! That was a great Chinese literary work (they even say it was the greatest) by Cao Zhan (he had another name too)! I am glad to read that you are continuously trying to read some books. Never give up on that! :)

• In fact I can't remember the first book I had read clearly but I can remember the first poetry I have got by accident(when my mother finishing bookshelf and find this book).It's a poetry anthology named <<Michelia floribunda>> written by XiMuRong.She is a poet from Taiwan and good at written poem about love life and nostalgia.At that time I was just six years old. I even don't understand the meanning of some words.But I am addicted to the cover so I like it very much.Once my high school teacher let us read some poems.Thus I read this poetry anthology again.I was deeply intoxicated by the beautiful words and emotion. It's about a girl's confusion of love and desires.
    I think the feeling on a poem or a book is varies from person to person.Even just at different stage and age of the same person.Maybe I will feel different from that time if I read it now.
    In my opion.The impact of a book is far larger than we expected.Some magzines is also helpful.When I was in my high school I bought a magzine named <<Touch Soul>> every month.I didn't miss every issue.I think that magazine is my meat and drink under the heavy study pressure.
    • Sounds like a good poem from Xi MuRong, Kay! Maybe you must read it in class to us! Okay, on second thought, it is obviously a Chinese poem, and we have an English class ... So, maybe not! But what a blessing that your mother cleaned the bookshelf  and you discovered that great poetry book! Oh, and your high school classmates must have been carried away too when you shared the poem with the class!

I agree with your opinion about the impact of books on the readers! As I am an avid reader myself, most of my knowledge came from books I read. I started reading as a hobby from a young age, and I have never stopped (and don't intend to stop!). I hope I would die reading one day! As Thomas MaCaulay said (one of the quotes in the attachment to the lesson): "I would rather be poor in a cottage full of books, than a king without the desire to read"!

• I like reading novels or reasoning class books, favorite book is "Sherlock Holmes", I like the calm in the world of reasoning, but what impresses me most is a book, Jane eyre, I very like this book, watched twice on junior high school of time, Jane eyre's personality left a deep influence for me, although she was born lowly, appearance is ordinary, but she didn't so inferiority, strong, optimistic, have to happy life yearning. Won the happiness.
    • Oh, you read Sherlock Holmes, Fang Xue?! Wasn't that too difficult to understand? Oh, you read it in Chinese! Okay, then I can understand! Yes, Jane Eyre is a good book to read (specially if you read the Chinese/English publication!). I agree, Charlotte Bronte created an outstanding protagonist in the person of Jane. She had some outstanding characteristics one could learn from. And of course, to love and marry a man who was left blind and crippled from a disaster, took a very special woman to do that. But you're right, she still lived a happy life with her beloved Rochester! ;-)

• In fact, I seldom read some extracurricular books, but I prefer fiction books and some philosophy books .I remember the first book that I read is a Muslim's funeral .After reading this book,I always recall some of the scenes in the book . I feel particularly sad .The book impressed me. When I grow up , I learned that the law is very important, so I read some legal regulations. In fact, the book is very boring, it is very difficult to understand regulations.It also requires the teacher's explanation .
    http://regulations.It/
    • Hong Jingjing, that is quite a strange book to read - about a Muslim funeral! Why did you read it?! Was it a prescribed book by the school? The only time I read a book about the Muslim religion (Islam), was only to get some knowledge about their strange religion. Oh, I nearly lied to you ..! I also read a book called, "I dared to call Him Father", by an ex-Muslim woman, called Bilquis Sheikh, who converted from Islam to Christianity. It was an incredible book of courage and faith. Oh, reading about law and regulations is too boring! Leave that for the lawyers and judges! :)

• I like reading books very much.I started reading when I was a little child,and I read every book that I could find .In my house ,the storage of books are limited,and my parents always have no money to buy books for me,so I went to my neighbor‘s house to find books to read.I have read a book named A Dream in Red Mansions several times .I like this book very much,because the heroine"s personality is just like mine,and the sentences in the book are really beautiful.I think I will read it again in the future.
    Two months ago ,I borrow two English books named Gone With The Wind and Pride and prejudice from library.But I was very busy and have no time to read them.Finally I return them to the library.It is really sad,I am really busy at university ,busy with my subjects ,my club activity and so on.I really hope that I can have more spare time to read books and learn English ,but I cant ,I have so many other subjects"homeworks to do.But in the future ,I will read more books ,I think I will do that .
    http://library.It/
This reply was deleted.