Week 15a: Monday, 15 December 2014

(1) Discussion on bad habits to continue.

Students don't have to comment on this as you have done it already.

(2) Compelling conversations: Talking about books and reading pleasures.

Please see the attachments. There are two lists of 18 questions each. We'll work in pairs and each partner will get a different list. On list 1, we'll answer only the following questions: 1 ("Did your mother read to you as a child?"), 5, 7, 8, 10, 17 and 18. On list 2, only the following questions: 5 ("What are some books you've read and enjoyed?"), 6, 12, 13, 14, 17 and 18.

For your comment, students can answer any of those questions, or tell me about a book you read and why you enjoyed it. You decide.

Compelling Conversations x1.pdf

Compelling Conversations x2.pdf

Compelling Conversations x3.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I was very happy you like to know some thing about SanMao .I want to have a tirp as i like ,just go where i want like her .And i want do a outstanding girl like her.Thinks teacher and i was sohappy for your reply.
  • Bella and Edwaed have a baby girl in the end ,and at last ,Jacob and thier daughter are are dramatic fal in love ,so I said he didn't get the mother(Bella )but get the dauhgter .One of vampires who is vagetarian doesn't drink human boold ,just keep on living with animals',they have to contral the desire of blood so that they are more like human beings.
  • I like reading,and i love to read fiction best.Reading do a lot of benefit to us.It can not only make our after-school life more meaningful and corlourful,at the same time expand our horizons. Reading more can make us to grow into a better person.
    • Thank you, Tiffany. Though you probably rushed to write this comment, at least it makes good sense what you said! I hope you believe that too!

• My favorite book is The story of the sahara (desert).It was write by San Mao. It is about the real thing happed to her and her husband .I love the love btween them,and t want a amour like that .And i also love sanmao's character,if she love she will do it .Ihope every one can read it .
    • I missed you in class yesterday, Lily! I mentioned something about San Mao in class, as I remembered what you said about her (I read your comment not long before going to class). I read about her online as you made me curious about her. It appears that she was an outstanding writer. But she had so much tragedy in her life. First relationship didn't work out, and she left Taiwan for Europe. Then her Spanish husband drowned in a diving accident when she was only 35 (she married him in 1973 when I was in Grade 12 in High school), and years later, her German fiancé also died before they got married. And then she didn't get that award at the HongKong Film Festival (for her script of the movie "Red Dust"). Oh, and then she herself tragically died in 1991 at the age of 47 ... So sad; she was such a wonderful personality. That book you referred to, she wrote in 1976 when she and her Spanish husband lived in the Western Sahara (a small country bordering on to Morocco). She published more than 20 books. Yes, she was a great author. Thank you for telling about her.

• The most popular among the Austen's volumes is Pride and Prejudice that takes the theme of love and marriage in a mildly humorous way of expression. As a female writer, she shows different attitudes toward marriage by depicting several young women of different descent, economic position and horizon of knowledge. A simple theme introduces a great deal of what is about life. The whole book teems with authoress' wit and insight.And this inclination and intention cannot escape from the reach of her living circle and reveal some of her points about worldly life.
    • Thank you, Lyn. But you haven't read that book yourself, right?! At least not in English as it is too difficult, I know!

• I can remember clearly that my first book was send by my mother named"Grimm's Fairy Tales".At that time,I was so young that I can't understand the story very well with the characters and ikons.As we know,the book was write by The Brothers Grimm and world famous.When I was a bit older,I can read it by myself,finding it's intersting very much.This book accompanied me through the childhood.When I was at senior high school,my favorite wirter is Guo Jingming who is a young Chinese writer and devoted for campus literature.I think I like different writers and books in different stages of life.
    • I've heard of the Grimm's Fairy Tales, but have never read it myself; though I remember that their, "Hanzel and Gretel" was translated and we read that story about the brother and sister. I read about Guo Jingming who is still in his early thirties. Though he became famous for winning a writing competition and writing some books, I also read that he was found guilty of plagiarism when using another Chinese author's work is one of his books. But I think you are right that many of us go through stages in our lives and we get attached to different writing styles and genres and even writers; and that can change again later (like you not still hanging on to Grimm's Fairy Tales as you have outgrown it!). :)

This reply was deleted.