Week 14b: Friday, 12 December 2014

(1) Tara's News here: https://edition.englishclub.com/category/listening-news/

(2) Famous personalities: Select 3 names from the attached list of 30 names of famous personalities that you would like to give a talk to your class. Not more than one Chinese person from the list! Motivate the reasons for your choice. Discussion in small groups or pairs. Comments: you can write about your choices (one, or two, or all three) and give shortly at least one reason why you admire them.

(3) Role plays: You are a famous personality and your partner will interview you on various aspects of life.

"I am famous!"

Famous people list.rtf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• If I choose three from these a few famous people, I would choose Yao Ming and Martin Ruud Kim and the three Chaplin. First of all for Yao Ming,as a basketball player, true to the world, but also let Chinese basketball gradually known, promoted the development of the cause of the Asian basketball; secondly, for Martin Ruud Kim, is American black civil rights leader, his accomplishments make more blacks gained relatively equal rights, at the same time he is also Nobel award winner; Chaplin as the representative of the last comedy, gave great contribution to the world's film career, but his life is so rough, but he is still strong and restless, optimistic life.
    • I first heard about Yao Ming when I came to China! But I quickly learn that he was a kind of idol in China! I don't like basketball (we don't play it in my country), but what I like most of Yao Ming, is that he got involved in Nature Conservation, and in particular in campaigns to save the African Rhinos from extinction. Why do you write a Chinese name here, Zhang Yingying? This is an English class and an English website. How would you learn English if you don't use people's English names when engaged in the English language? So, try to talk about Martin Luther King Jr next time, pse. You mentioned that Charlie Chaplin is still strong and restless ... Is he still alive? I thought he was born in 1889! Maybe I made a mistake!

• I really like these people, everyone is so outstanding. But let me choise three people, I would choose Helen Keller, Einstein and Li Na. Three of them have a common characteristic is that they are hard working. Helen Keller is a great woman who I admire very much. Although there are incomplete in the body, but she do well than many normal people. I also really like her teacher, she can meet the teacher so lucky, Einstein provides a lot of convenience in our life, because of he, we know gravity. Li Na is the pride of our nation, she is also Asian pride, she was the only one who won the Grand Slam Tennis in Asian , she has been worked hard for her dreams and eventually succeeded.
    • You are absolutely correct in that Helen Keller had a great teacher, Hui Ying. I think much of her success in life could be attributed to her teacher's care and love for her. I don't know Einstein well as Physics was never my favourite subject at school! And of course, Li Na is one of my all-time heroines! Yes, she won the French and then the Australian Grandslams and then she ended her career as no 2 in the world which was the highest position ever for an Asian woman. It's a pity she had to retired!

• The people who l admired is Jackie chen and Charlie Chaplin.As most people know, Jackie Chan has always been considered one of the most popular and respected stars in the world. l like his Kungfu movies very much. And he also is a philanthropist.he always donations to poor areas and help lots of people get out of the troubles.It is enough to show that Jackie Chan is a great person.I love Charlie Chaplin silet films when I was young.They are so funny. In his films,he is always dressed with the stiff black moustache, wide-open eyes, round black hat and shoes too large for his feet.It's so lovely.For his comedies,although people can't hear the voices they were always amused by his funny behaviors.And Charlie Chaplin let me konw that life is simpie,we shoud face life with positive attitudes.
    • I agree, Luo Yuanyuan, Jackie Chan is very popular in China (maybe the most popular actor!) and in the world today. With the Kungfu movies he took over where Bruce Lee stopped, I think. But of all Kungfu movies, I like Kungfu Panda most! I don't think Jackie Chan played in that movie; if he did, I didn't see him! ;-)

Haha, I noticed that Charlie Chaplin is popular in China too! Despite his movies being in black and white, it remains popular probably due to the humor, I guess. Remember your second foreign personality for tomorrow's class! :)

• The famous people that I admired is Helen Keller,Mother Teresa and Jackie Chan.Helen Keller tells life needs brave and relif.No matter what happened,we shouldn't give up ourselves.She also shows the world the female's sprits.Mother Teresa didn't care about money or anything that benit her,she shows the world what does selfless truly mean.She not only warms the people she helped,but also warms the world.Jackie Chan is Chinese.He shows Chinese martial arts to the other countries.He also shows the Chinese sprits and belif.
    • Thank you Caroline for the first comment. You chose two great women among your list of foreigners. If there were more Helen Keller's and Mother Teresa's in today's world, it would have been a better place for all of us. Strange that China doesn't really have women having such an influence on society and the world than these two you mentioned. Only one I know about, that may fall into that category, was Lin Zhao (not her original name) who tragically died in the 60's, but her name is never mentioned (except in some books) because of politics. Yes, Jackie Chan is a great actor and world renowned. I guess he would be the choice of most students!

This reply was deleted.