Week 14b: Friday, 12 December 2014

(1) Tara's News here: https://edition.englishclub.com/category/listening-news/

(2) Famous personalities: Select 3 names from the attached list of 30 names of famous personalities that you would like to give a talk to your class. Not more than one Chinese person from the list! Motivate the reasons for your choice. Discussion in small groups or pairs. Comments: you can write about your choices (one, or two, or all three) and give shortly at least one reason why you admire them.

(3) Role plays: You are a famous personality and your partner will interview you on various aspects of life.

"I am famous!"

Famous people list.rtf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• If I must choose three people from the list,I'll choose Charlie Chaplin,Martin Luther King Jnr and Jackie Chan.First,the reason I choose the was different.The reason why I choose Charlie Chaplin is that once someboby said,if a comedy actor can bring audience one time laugh that means he has bear ten times as much as the sadness himself. Then the reason why I choose Martin Luther King Jnr is he has the courage to seek his dream for freedom and lead his follower engrave the trace on the history.At last,I admire Jackie Chan because he can not only bring himself to the world,but also can model polit image on the stage of world.Just because him,foreigners has changed parts of the attitude to our Chinese.By the way,if I were interviewer ,faced with one of the famous personality,I most want to ask him "what can support you when you faced with the most terrible situation" and "if there's no achievements, how long can you insist on,will it be all your life?"and so on.
    history.at - This website is for sale! - history Resources and Information.
    This website is for sale! history.at is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what…
    • I agree with you, Katrina, that Charlie Chaplin's movies were all so funny and he brought laughter to many of the world's stressed out people despite not talking in his movies! Maybe you can do you role play on him tomorrow and mimic him ...! Yes, and Martin Luther King Jr showed the world what man can do when he has a dream ...! I am glad to see you already have some questions for the famous personality you would interview tomorrow - I hope she would give you good answers to inspire you! ;-)

• I like Celine Dion because of her voice and songs,she do singing in an excellent way .I can sing My Heart Will Go On ,I love this song ,and it's the first song I'd like to sing as I go to KTV .By the way ,I love the TITANIC,the moving movie and Leonardo Dicaprio is chaming when he was a green(I mean he was immature) boy.
    And I like Helen Keller, she is so strong in mind .Although she is deaf and blind,still keep on writing ,even hade written the well-known prose Three Days To See, it's a text when I was in primery school ,telling me be strong ,don't be defeated by the reality which you can't change ,sometimes it makes you more outstanding.
    The last one ,and most important one ,Jackie Chan ,he is almost as old as my grandpa,but he looks mach younger than his real age.He never uese subsititute(people who help movie star act some dangerous part) when act movies.He is charitarian as well .earthquake happened ,compare with some other star ,the money he donated noce even more than others did couple times.But I really feel sorry about his son was arrested because of taking drugs.
    • I love Celine Dion's music too, Katherine; especially the theme song for Titanic she did brilliantly! Yeah, I guess you are right about Dicaprio ... he's not a nice guy any longer (he changed too much)! Many of you chose Helen Keller; I guess she must be popular in China too! She had such incredible inspirational quotes; like this one (so profound):

2393216975?profile=originalShe had no sight, but she had vision in life ..!

Of course Jackie Chan is every Chinese person's favourite movie star, I think! Yes, pity about his son. I guess that's the price some famous personalities pay as their lives are too busy for deeper family lives.

• I know about half of the 30 people. If I select from the attached list to give a talk in my class. I would choose Jackie Chan, Charlie Chaplin and Nick Vujicic. As is known to all, Jackie Chan is Chinese movie master. He must do every action in the film personally. And Charlie Chaplin, a master of comedy, is from london. In those days,Chaplin has made great contribution to the art of film. Finally, the person my favorite is Nick Vujicic who is Melburnian. Born without limbs, he only has "a little chicken drumstick". However, Nick just use the little chicken drumstick to live and learn, and become a master of speech, inspired countless lives. I have read his speech on the Internet, it really can encourage and move me from the bottom of my heart. I adore Nick Vujicic a lot.
    • Wow Xu Heyun, you know many of those personalities; I am impressed with you! Good choices you made; but I am also excited about your third choice, Nick Vujicic! Last year I used him as inspiration for all my classes and they had to do speeches about success in their final orals. He is probably one of the most outstanding examples of making a success of one's life against all odds. Who would have ever thought a man without limbs can make such a difference in people's lives! And then he even got such a beautiful wife too (and I believe they have a child too now)!

2393217008?profile=originalNick & Kanae

• Helen kelller says "the greatest disaster, not the wounds of the past, but in the future to give up. "Although she lost light, lost to listen to the voice of the world, but she didn't give up,.because of her strong stamina, not only let her overcome physical barriers, and find the direction of life, Tell the people with their lives: the will is strong prop difficulties, as long as perseverance, indomitable, would have to change their own destiny, I really like David Beckham, he is a famous football player has a high profile ,when he was playing is so handsome
    • Fang Xue, Helen Keller also said: "Many persons have the wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness. It is not attained through self-gratification, but through fidelity to a worthy purpose"! So, according to her, it is not happiness when people promote themselves and praise themselves, but faithfulness when we do worthy tasks. Good choice! Yes, she was such an incredible inspiration to many. Oh, and you also like that handsome football star from England?! :)

• Helen was an American author, activist and lecturer. She was the first deafblind person to graduate from college.
    David Beckham In the world of professional soccer, no star shines brighter than David Beckham. He is one of the best players in the sport, admired by fans around the world. Not only is Beckham an excellent player, but he also happens to have supermodel looks! Girls adore his handsome face and friendly smile.
    As a celebrity, Beckham attracts more attention than most rock stars, including his wife, former Spice Girl Victoria Adams. Fashion magazines have a field day every time he wears a new outfit or gets a new hairstyle.
    Yao, who was born in Shanghai, started playing for the Shanghai Sharks as a teenager, and played on their senior team for five years in the CBA, winning a championship in his final year.
    • Lyn, if this is all your own work, then you are a very good writer! I noticed it last time too. What a pity you haven't given more comments before, as I would have enjoyed your other comments too, I am sure! Helen Keller is one of my all-time favourites too. And of course, I think anyone who loves football, knows Beckham and he is probably one of the most loved and respected football players of all time. And as you say, the girls break their legs over him! It also appears that he is a great family-man. Looks like you only referred to the young Yao, because after CBA he made China more famous in NBA! But it doesn't matter; I don't like basketball anyway! ;-)

This reply was deleted.