Week 14b: Friday, 12 December 2014

(1) Tara's News here: https://edition.englishclub.com/category/listening-news/

(2) Famous personalities: Select 3 names from the attached list of 30 names of famous personalities that you would like to give a talk to your class. Not more than one Chinese person from the list! Motivate the reasons for your choice. Discussion in small groups or pairs. Comments: you can write about your choices (one, or two, or all three) and give shortly at least one reason why you admire them.

(3) Role plays: You are a famous personality and your partner will interview you on various aspects of life.

"I am famous!"

Famous people list.rtf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Tiffany, did you know that it wasn't Jackie Chan who made kungfu movies popular, but indeed his predecessor from China, Bruce Lee (his stage name; his real name was Li Junfan)? He was also from HongKong, but he sadly died in 1973 at the age of 32. But you are right that Jackie Chan is extremely popular (though my favourite kungfu movie is still, "Kungfu Panda" - I don't think Jackie featured in that movie as I haven't seen him there!)! ;-)

Yeah, I have great admiration for Beckham too; one of football's greatest ever stars! But don't forget to prepare a second foreign personality also for today's class (or maybe you are keeping that a secret till later)!

• Jackie chan is my frist admire people in the list,because we watched his news including the movies ,the sings,the news and so on at the begin our childhood,then he have a deep impresion in my life,and he develop chinese kongfu ,let more and more people understand china by the konghu.Then princess Diana of wales who is a grateful woman in the world,she become very well known for her support of several charity projects,and she was expected to engage in hospital visits where she comfortable the sick ,Inaddition, she was a supporter of the International Campagin to Ban Landmines,a campagin that went on to win the Nobel Peace Prize in 1997.Lastly,Jeremy Lin is my admire basketball star,there is only two basketball star of china jion to the NBA,he is one.and I think he is very headsome and when he paly the basketball more than headsome ,
    • Yes, maybe Jackie Chan has developed Chinese kungfu, Song Guangxia, but did you know that another Chinese man, Bruce Lee, has introduced Chinese kungfu to the world long before Jackie Chan has even started making movies?! Anyway, to be honest, I still like this movie about Chinese kungfu best: "Kungfu Panda"! ;-)

Lady Diana is another good choice, but would you only remember her for her role in charity projects and campaigning for the banning of landmines? What about the rest of her life?! Did you know that she married into royalty and was married to a Prince?! But I guess her work and involvement in the campaigns for the banning of those anti-personnel landmines contributed hugely to them getting awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. Sadly, she never knew about the awarding of the Nobel Prize in October 1997, as she tragically died in August that year.

• Song Guangxia, there are 30 names on that list of famous personalities, and only 5 are Chinese (Vanessa Mae is half-Chinese as her mother is Chinese) and although Jeremy Lin has American citizenship, he is still Chinese! So, pse choose another foreigner on that list as there are 24 more names (apart from Princess Diana) you can choose from. Thank you.

• I admire most of people among the list.They deserve us learning and thinking conscientiously. Here are 3 persons of my favorites,Albert Einstein, Helen Keller and Charlie Chaplin.

Albert Einstein was considered the greatest scientist of the 20th century and one of the greatest of all time. His discoveries and theories have greatly influenced science in many fields.Among the several important discoveries Einstein made in his life, the greatest is the creation of his famous Theory of Relativity which won for him universal esteem.

Helen Kellera wrote a book called If light give me three daysit described how the heroine—Helen Keller come out of the darkness and loneliness, even if she lost her sight and listening. When faced with the difficulties, she can still maintain. Compared with her, I think I am a so fortune girl.My father gave me the book which isn't translated into Chinese to improving my English.More important,he hopes me learn her spirit directly.

Charlie Chaplin is British-born comedian, director, and producer who gained fame for his role as a tramp in baggy trousers and a bowler hat. My childhood was more happy for his movies which set me thinking too.From these films, I can see the living situation of common people at that time. They use all kinds of humourous and even ridiculous way to struggle with their destiny, but behind their action, the social conflict, exists in the daily life. I used to laugh loudly when I saw its but cry now.I like The Kid best.
    • Thank you for your comment, Shelly, which is more in the format of an essay! So, thank you for taking the trouble to take so much care about what you write. I can see you are a girl of destiny with dreams to accomplish. I like your choices of personalities. Albert Einstein and Helen Keller, though so diverse in styles and circumstances, were of the same caliber as people who had understanding of the meaning of life. Just looking at their many quotes (quotations) regarding the issues of life, is proof of that. It still inspires people today, many decades after their departure from this earth. These are the kinds of people I admire and regard as worthy role models as with them, it was never about themselves or their countries, it was about what gives meaning to life apart from the discoveries and the campaigns. I'm going to upload two of their quotes here (hope you will be able to see them):

Helen Keller:

2393217646?profile=originalAlbert Einstein:

2393217790?profile=originalAnd of course, Charlie Chaplin is another humorous inspiration, though I have the suspicion he didn't possess the same inner peace as the other two. However it may be, his quotes (together with his movies) also inspire us today. Here is one for you (maybe you'll recognize it):

2393217850?profile=original

• I see there are a lot of famous person in this list,and there are three person I really admire,they are Li Na,, .At first,Li na, the famous tennis player,she has creat a lot of wonderful records in all kinds of international champions,we are all proud of it,what's more,I admire her determination in the tennis more.Secondly,Ron Clark,he is a teacher who taught in his hometown when he was 23,and come to NewYork to teach,he had their own teaching way and gain "the most outstanding teacher in America",His story has been a movie,I like it very much,his teaching way impressed me deeply,he know how to respect his students and never give up everyone.At last,Helen Keller,she is bind and deaf,but she never give up her own life,She told us by her motivation that whatever you have experienced ,keep to be optimism all the time!
    • Li Yaze, all those personalities on that list were (or are still today) famous! It's just that in China, sadly, students aren't taught about them all, for some reason. I specifically didn't choose many Chinese people, and I specifically instructed that on;y one Chinese person may be included in your list of three! Through that I am hoping that some students would take the time and initiative to get to know about other famous world personalities too. I agree absolutely with your choice of a Chinese star! Li Na is one of the greatest sport stars this country has ever produced. And what is also special about her, is that most of her fame came after she'd broken away from the system they have here to 'make' sport stars. She basically 'made' herself through hard work and determination (as you also mentioned). I admire her for that!

I'm glad you chose the world's greatest teacher (okay, Ms Erin Gruwell from the movie, "The Freedom Writers Diaries" is another great one, I agree) as your one foreign personality! I have a very deep admiration for him too and he is a real role model to me. He changed the way a teacher should think about teaching. Oh, and Helen Keller is another good choice! I noticed that many students have chosen her. Yes, she truly was a great inspiration to many (and still is today, long after her death). But, were you ever told why she was so different? What made her so special that she could be an inspiration to others? Think about it!

• Oh btw Shelly, I forgot to mention that your father must have incredible foresight to have given you Helen Keller's book with the wish that you get to learn her spirit too ... What a father! And it was in English ... Hope I can meet you father one day and shake his hand. He sounds like a Chinese man I can have respect for .. ;-)

• Albert Einstein,Jackie Chan and Helen Keller,they are some of my favorite people.Albert Einstein is so smart.he had invented so many things that they are helpful for us,especially the light.Then to the Helen Keller i enjoy her kindness and her courage.Her behavour give me huge inspiration.When i meet some hard things i will think her that she is even tough than me.Then i must insist it and never give up.So i  will get a lot of help .Then today i found by accident that her name is also have Helen which my roommate also named Helen.(Just theacher you have known about her),it's so great.

This reply was deleted.