Week 14b: Friday, 12 December 2014

(1) Tara's News here: https://edition.englishclub.com/category/listening-news/

(2) Famous personalities: Select 3 names from the attached list of 30 names of famous personalities that you would like to give a talk to your class. Not more than one Chinese person from the list! Motivate the reasons for your choice. Discussion in small groups or pairs. Comments: you can write about your choices (one, or two, or all three) and give shortly at least one reason why you admire them.

(3) Role plays: You are a famous personality and your partner will interview you on various aspects of life.

"I am famous!"

Famous people list.rtf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I remember an article called “I have a dream” in my English learning book when I was in middle school, especially this sentence “I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. “It gives a sight of our daily life that every single one may easily have at present, but that, on the contrary, shows the darkness of America during that time. And because of those words, the Negro get faith in their heart and have the courage to change the whole unfair world. Martin Luther King ,he’s words inspired all the Negro,and the same ,inspired me to have a faith to fight for my batter future , that’s why Martin Luther King has become my soul hero.  

• Yes, I agree he became an inspiration to many, in particular the African-Americans. That quotation of him that you quoted became world-famous. Eventually it happened like that; just a pity he could never witness it as he was tragically killed. But much of the heart of the white American people hasn't changed as today there are still racism in the US. And as the whites are by far in the majority, it is still difficult to be black in America (despite Obama being president). Oh,and btw, never call an African-American a Negro in America ... they'll kill you for that!

• This was the last comment (by Long Yuan) and Xu Yang's comment isn't here as he told us in class today. Where is it then?

• People in the list are famous in the world in different aspects.I really admire them for thire great character and superior ability.Among them,I select my favorite three,Yao Ming,Neil Amstrong and Mother Teresa,to give a comment.As for Yao Ming,I believe every Chinese are familiar with him for his good job for Houston Rockets in NBA.I am really proud of him.About Amstrong,I have learn about his achievement in Senior High School in my memory.He was the first man to step on the moon,leaving his footprint on it."That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind." is known for us because of it's great meaning.Mother Teresa devote herself to help Indian out of poverty,including the poor and sick.She looked after them all her life,in spite of many difficulties.I am deeply moved for her kindness and insistence.
    • Good choices, Men Yaqiong. Of all those I think Mother Teresa inspired me most! Her selfless service to the poor and the destitute would forever remain engraved on my mind. Has this world ever seen a greater woman than that, I wonder? Did you know that her feet were deformed (disfigured) because she was often wearing smaller shoes as some of her patients needed the bigger ones? Yes, other's lives were more important than her own. Our world today need such people again ... And yes, that is a world-famous quote from the first man on the moon: "That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"!

• In my heart,LI Na is my favorite star.As we allknow,Tennis has been the European world for a long time.There is not an Asian person summitted in the three events.But only Li Na won the first in French Open in 2011.I suppose it is the highest honour for a athlete.After I heard the news,I really shocked.She is my idol!Besides she also won the first in Austria open tennis in 2013.Although she has been retired from the game,we will remember her forever.
    • Wu Ting, I am happy to see that you have chosen Li Na as your Chinese personality, but did you do sufficient research on her achievements?! Her second Grand Slam trophy wasn't in Austria (they don't have a Grand Slam tournament there); it was in Australia and it was in January 2014! And you didn't mention that she's retired with the highest ranking of an Asian woman of all times, i.e. no 2 in the world! Okay, maybe you missed some detail. I also love Li Na and I have enjoyed her victories with her and Jiang Shan! ;-)

• Nick Vujicic、Albert Einstein and Charlie Chaplin are the three people I will choose. I I adore Nick Vujicic very much . He born without limbs, but everything he all can. He uses his vivid speech to insprie more people. Albert Einstein is a genius,his merit let all people to worship. Charlie Chaplin used his own act as well as his vivid expression to bring people happiness, and let the world is full of laughter.
    • Quite a number of your classmates chose Albert Einstein and Charlie Chaplin as their personalities, and they were good choices too, but only two other have chosen Nick Vujicic. Glad to read that you know about him, Zhao Ziwei, as he is such an incredible inspiration to any person. But do you know why he is the way he is and why he has such joy in life without even having limbs? Maybe you should do some more research, as I think that is what is sadly lacking from the Chinese nation. ;-)

• Here,I'd like to talk on two foreigners named Martin Luther King Jnr and Florence Nightingale in the list of famous people.John must be familiar with them;a lot of friends such as my roommates do have no impression to the latter.Firstly,just like the words said,Martin Luther King which was evaluated as the voice for black liberation in the US is a real fighter in my mind.I like his exciting and historic speech:I have a dream. Regardless of country and skin color,he is so widely known that was appeared in both Chinese and English textbooks.Many person can't help to express the admiration and thoughts to him,especially the recent events on a young black Americans.To Florence Nightingale,she is the founder of modern nursing.We turned memory of her into a international festival, called Nurses Day on May 12th .Besides,not only does he have a sculpture which is located in the streets of London, and also his head is still on a bill of UK.The reason why I admire her is that although she is a rich man, but she abandoned all, status and love, do her best to made a great contribution to society and history.Today, however, how many people seek status desperately and how many people like them in all?Too many and too few,isn't it?
This reply was deleted.