Replies

• What you said about Emily may be true, Xu Heyun, but that decision may cost her, her other friends as they would surely reject her for choosing Joan as her friend. But maybe she will make a better friend as the others are probably only "fair-weather friends"!

I'm not sure what "pen spinning" is; maybe you can show me in class! But what can really be annoying, is when somebody clicks the pen continually (you know, letting the nib - the point of the pen - going in and out all the time); that clicking sound can drive some of us crazy! So, one should rather not form bad habits as it takes much longer than three months to unlearn! ;-)

• If I was Emily ,and had no plans on Saturday,I will come to Joan's house and join the Christmas parrty.I don't care what other classmates think.I want to be Joan's friend and make she feel happy,because nobady want to be alone ,the human is a kind of animals who are afraid of loneliness.Everyone need others'help and love.And Everybody needs a helping hand.
    About bad habits ,it's really a big obstacle to our life ,if we can't overcome them ,we will waste more time ,money and energy .And it's hard to do something successful.
    • I agree with you, Huo Meng, that I wouldn't care what the classmates say if I have chosen to be friends with a lonely girl. I wouldn't easily be friends with the popular students, but I would prefer to befriend those ones whom others don't regard worthy of being friends with. Those ones would be the ones with the beautiful hearts! :)

• Sadly,in real life,people are influnced easily by others .On the one hand, they lose the chances to see things or others  by themselves;on the other hand, they may judge others or things unfairly.As for me,i don't like following others' steps and i am fond of seeing the world by myself.Thus,if i were Emily,i would receive joan's invitaion.I can't judge joan anything before i know her very well.If i want to know joan, i must get along with her.Then i can judge how joan is .

The biggest bad habit of mine may be that i speak too straightforward.Sometimes i would hurt others in the case i don't know.So i hope that i can  think twice before i talk to others.

• You are so right, Zhang Min, about other people getting influenced so easily. I have noticed it here in China where people get told what to do with their lives and many people don't have personal dreams and goals. As you said, it is sad. A man from South Africa once said (his name is Heyneke Meyer - you wouldn't know about him!): "If you don't have a plan for your life, somebody else will make a plan with your life". So, maybe that's why people get easily influenced? It is good to read that you wouldn't just blindly follow others, but working out your own path. I like that!

Haha, so you are also a very direct person who speaks what is on your heart?! Yes, we have to be careful and guard what we say before hurting others unnecessarily, or alienating friends from us. ;-)

• But we all should have the perseverance to adhere to. we can believe ourselves.
    • Zhao Ziwei, after posting a comment (when you click on "add reply", below the comment), you have 15 minutes to edit the comment (it tells you that!). So, you made this second "comment" only 3 minutes from the first one - why did you not click on "edit" and added the sentence?! I don't understand?!

About your advice to Emily ... do you really think her (snobbish) friends would listen to her if she tells them to be friends with Joan and play with her?

I see you know much about how easy it is to form habits and how difficult to give it up! So, the best is not to start a bad habit, right?! ;-)

• If I were Emily ,I will take part in the party,and I will make good fridents with Joan. because in my oppion, we make fridents that can't follow others, we should have our views. we also have the right to choose own friends. And I think Emily can tell other fridents to play with Joan.
    Every has bad habits. But giving up a habit is hard than form habits. It may be takes three mouths to form a habit,but give up it may be takes more than three mouths. most of people may be lazy ,ang it is so difficult to give up. But we all should have
  • If I were Emily I wil attend this party.I think there is no limit to the true friendship.If I think this person own the characteristics and behaviors that I admired or even I just want to make friends with her .I will do it no matter what others say.In fact this article also present a common phenomenon that many peopel choose their friends just because this one is rich or very pretty.They didn't consider about what kind of person he/she is?he/she is worth making?For me I think friend is no other factors,no interests relationship.It just a pure relationship.
    It's important to break our bad habits.But to tell the truth I think it's difficult to cold turky a bad habit.If you want to get rid of a bad habit it must be a bitter and long process but you can benefit from it.
    • Yes Kay, but what when your classmates find out that you had gone to Joan's party while they all had excuses (lies) for not going?! Then you will lose face to them! Okay, it looks like you may be a little different as you said you will do it no matter what others say ..! I agree, one can't look at the external appearance when deciding on friends (except maybe boyfriends, I guess ...!); the inside (the heart) is the most important.

Yes, breaking or correcting bad habits would surely beneficial to anyone, but how many people have the will to do that?! ;-)

This reply was deleted.