Replies

• If I am Emily,I will help Joan. Beacase loneness would make fewer friends.It also make her personality badly.Students should like a family,So I think I will help her invite other students.
    I have a lot of habits.uppermost is lazy .The bad habit lead me to dislike study.I even do not want to exercise outside.It make my body poor.I suppose I shoult correct the bad habbit.
    friends.it
    This domain may be for sale!
    • Wu Ting, why waiting till this time to make your comment?! Now it is a "rushed job" and you don't do it as well as you would have earlier when you had more time. Okay, I know I said you can do it any time as long as it is before the class, but I think you would have given a much better comment had you done it earlier! Okay, you decide what is in your best interest. What, are you really a lazy girl?! You look such a sweet girl; I can nearly not believe that! But okay, if it is true, maybe you need to do some corrections ... like forcing yourself to study (maybe as long as your roommates study every time; and do it with them!), and get out and do some walking, at least, for good exercise. Yes, I guess your supposition may indeed be correct! :)

• Thank you too,John.You always give me a very long reply.I'm very grateful for what you did for me.I can feel your support,patience and encouragement to me between the lines you replied.
    I very much admire you for quitting smoking successfully.I know it so hard that too many people try to quit but failed again and again.
    My English is so poor that I couldn't chat with you fluently face to face.I said that I always spend one to two hours on commenting.I always think a long time to express what I want to say correctly and try my best to make fewer mistakes.I had no courage to chat with you when I met you on your way to dinner after last class because of my poor English.But I really want to be friends with you.Please writ for me until I can speak fluent English.
    • Shelly, you are so precious to me (okay, like most of your classmates too!), but that's not the reason for giving you long replies! You get long replies because your good comments call for long replies! I can understand that it can take students some hours to make their comments. And I appreciate it so much that they (and you) take the time to do that (not all do that, of course; some comments are made in a haste and are actually bad reflections on a student - but okay, that's their choice). That's why I also take some hours to try to reply to every comment as I just feel that if a student takes the time to comment, the least I can do is to read and reply! I didn't do this in the past, however (and sadly)!

But I discovered after some time that the students give better comments when they know I read all the comments. So, I started to read every comment and I don't skip any comments any longer! Then I discovered that when I reply to the comments, it serves as an additional encouragement to some students (not all, though!) and I noticed an improvement in the quality of their comments! But best of all, today, after having this system of comments in place for about 3 years, I also noticed that there is a correlation between a student's general improvement of her/his language skills and the commitment to making proper and frequent comments on the website. I didn't realize at first that it can work like this, but I am now convinced about it as I noticed the improvement with my own eyes!

So, don't be too much concerned about the hours it takes you to do a comment; you are investing in the general improvement of your English skills! And then speaking to a person face to face would also become easier! Oh, and of course we can correspond as long as we want to, but remember, correspondence depends on two people! I often get it that a few students (not many though!) would continue our relationship after having class with me and from time to time would write me emails (which I will always reply to, of course!), or we'll keep in touch through QQ. So, you have a life-long "penpal" in this teacher! ;-)

• I have to go ,sorry John ,I'll finish the comment about the story about Emily and Joan ,I've read it ,I have many ideas about it .If I back my dorm early in the evening I'd like to tell you .I'm really sorry.
    • It doesn't matter that much, Katherine. You have given a comment already (and besides, some other students have also only commented on one issue). Only if you have the time and really want to comment on the second part, you are welcome to do it! But don't feel obliged (I am aware of the students studying till late in the classrooms and also starting preparations for the upcoming exams). ;-)

• When I was figuring out what kind of bad habit I have ,then I surprised find that there are two bad habits companied me many years .One is I always at the left side while I'm walking with whoever my partner .I'd feel distressed and badly uncomefortable.Now,I always force myself to stay at the right side ,I still feel intranquil .Another is I have to go to toilet before go to bed ,and the thing is ,if I can't go to bed and fall asleep immediatelly ,I'd leave the bed again ,.sometimes it's like Angle speak to my left ear while Evil Angle speak to my another ear.Angle says :Do not leave bed again ,you have to change it!But Evil Angle says : Leave now ,and you're going to have a good sleep.
    • Haha Katherine, that's so interesting! You always wanted a person on your right side ..?! I wonder why?! Now you force yourself to walk on the other side to break that habit! Well, good for you; I hope you will eventually succeed (as it doesn't really matter where a person walks next to us, does it?!). ;-) Oh, you are so funny (and cute too!) - now I read about your bedtime issues and those "angels" fighting over you! But I think that's a good habit (I'm on the side of your evil angel now!) as I also do that before going to bed! Because if I don't, I would often have to get up in the middle of the night to visit the bathroom! So, maybe you have confused your two angels ... the one saying you shouldn't go, is probably the bad one, and the other giving you the wise advice to go, can be the good one! ;-) Haha, you got me smiling a lot now!

• Hi,If I were Emily,I would tend to play with Joan,because she is so lonely that needs the warmness from others. It's said that the completely different charactors can make up each other,so as an outgoing girl,I need help Joan to  integrate into the big world.If I really busy at the day Joan invited me,I will promise to play with her next time,and apologize to her sincerely.

When it comes to bad habit,for me I think I am so stubborn, especially in the things I really like. Maybe you will say ,Oh,that's great,you can insist on your goals.But ,many people has told me that I should adapt to the society,and before seeking your dream,you should be reality first.And because of can't stand the complex relationships between social people,I always choose to run away,maybe I should try mt best to face the ugly things around me bravely and make me "out of mud without being sullied."

• Haha Katrina, maybe your intentions are good, but if you were Emily and have seen (or heard) all your other friends denied the invitation, you should be brave and stand up for what is right and not also use an excuse for "being busy". Not even a profuse apology can change that - it may still be a lie (if you were not really 'busy' because of the pressure from your other friends)!

About your comment on bad habits, I want to quote to you the following quotation by Bob Gass: "If your habits don't line up with your dream, then you need to either change your habits, or change your dream." and further: "If you want to hold on to your dream, then be prepared to change your habits, because a habit never goes away by itself" ...! ;-)

This reply was deleted.