Week 13b: Friday, 5 December 2014

(1) Students, pse remember to LISTEN and prepare Tara's News! You don't have to comment on the news.

(2) Mini-debate: Cheating and plagiarism in schools

We'll read an article about this phenomenon, learn some vocab, discuss some questions in pairs, and then enter into different debates about the question of cheating. Student have to read the worksheet before commenting.

M - W13b - Mini debates - Cheating.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yes, the best way is the honest way, Zhang Ke, as any manner of cheating is dishonest. We should work hard and it would not be necessary to even think of cheating.

• I have to say,it's really a heated discussion about cheating in the exam,whatever I experience primary school,middle school,high school even university,cheating in the exam always exist.To be honest,I can't understand those who cheat in the exam,who on earth do they cheat for?I think it's themselves.In the high school,I was angry when I know someone cheated and plagiarism,I think it's so unfair for the students who spend plenty of time studying while there are someone that got high scores only for cheating in the exams.but in the college entrance exam,we can get a fair result,it's obvious who can go to good university.So I believe,no pains,no gains.there is no such thing as a free lunch,we must try our best to strive,we can make a good progress.
    • Wow Li Yaze, it means that students grow up with cheating as their ally from even Primary school?! That is an eye-opener to hear that! How can it be normal when even Primary school kids understand what cheating is, know that it is wrong, but still do it until they finish their university? It shocks me! Though I do not agree at all with the concept of the College Entrance exam, it appears that there is good control there and cheating is minimized. But you are right, only hard work can assure one of an honest grade (and you'll get the "gains for the pains"!). :)

• I never cheat in all tests since my primiry school.Beacause I am very timid.When I have the though to cheat in the test,I am always afraid of teachers catching me cheating.And I think it is unfair for those who donnot cheat.Although you got a good score in an exam,you cannot got it at the final exam.
    • I am happy to read that you have never cheated, Xi Rui! I can't say that of myself ...! :(  But I'll tell you tomorrow as I will share it with the class (hope you will understand!). But I only did it once and because of the painful punishment, I learned it doesn't pay to cheat!

• It is my blief that cheating is not all  wrong but plagiarism is.Plagiarism means that one copies others' fruit without his own efforts.To be honest,as students,there are lots of cheaters around us who plagiarize in tests . They don't think that plagiarism is shamful, and on the contrary, they are proud of the ability that they can copy successfully.As far as i am concerned , plagiarism is sheerly wrong.We attend university with the view to learn knowledge . If copying in tests, we can get nothing but good grades.Sadly, the good grades are fake and we cheat ourselves in the end.

• I am surprised about your view on Cheating, Zhang Min, as you are the first one from this class to view it like that. However, I know there are students with that view. But I don't completely understand why as both cheating and plagiarism involve dishonesty! So, what's the real difference then?! Maybe it is like the way some Chinese people regard lying ... They say that lying is okay as long as no one gets hurt; so, a 'white lie' is acceptable. However, a small lie paves the way for the big lies - if one can do a small lie, one can do a big one too. Would that not be the same with cheating and plagiarism - if one can cheat, one can do plagiarism too (as there is not much difference)?! Let's hear what the class says tomorrow!

• I think the cheating is a very bad behavior, I hate it very much. On the one hand, it is not responsible for their own, they can make great efforts to get good grades,but they select to copy. On the other hand,the cheating is unfair to those who study hard, I think the cheating is equal to steal other people's achivement. I hope the school can take some corresponding measures to stop copying
    • I think you have a good point there, Hui Ying, that cheating is equal to stealing other's achievements. How can one ever feel good about doing that? Where are our consciences? I don't think the schools or the universities should be held responsible for eradicating cheating and plagiarism. This is a deep-rooted problem in society and it should come from higher authority to stamp out this ugly phenomenon. :)

• To be honest.Cheating and plagiarism in schools is very general now.I had saw so many students cheating on exams.For me I think cheating and plagiarism in school means somebody put others things(including methods,ideas,answers etc.) as his own.Strictly speaking they are thieves.It's such a bad behavior that I can't stand it.But look at it from another angle .Why are there so many people cheating and plagiarism in school?I think the reason is not because the increasing pressure on students to achieve high marks and the difficulty to get accepted into good and famous universities. It's just because when we see someone is cheating on exams we choose ignored it rather than reporting this students to teachers.And on the other hand I think the penalties are not severe enough.For example.In my high school.If the teacher find someone was cheated on the exams .This students won't get any marks on his all subjects.So the students in my high school are dare not cheating and plagiarism.
    http://thieves.It/
This reply was deleted.