Week 13b: Friday, 5 December 2014

(1) Students, pse remember to LISTEN and prepare Tara's News! You don't have to comment on the news.

(2) Mini-debate: Cheating and plagiarism in schools

We'll read an article about this phenomenon, learn some vocab, discuss some questions in pairs, and then enter into different debates about the question of cheating. Student have to read the worksheet before commenting.

M - W13b - Mini debates - Cheating.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Zhao Ziwei, I like those words very much ... "being honest is more important than getting good marks". That is so true. But sadly, the reality is that not many people believe that! Cheating has for so long been allowed that I am not sure it would ever be eradicated. Yes, creating a good attitude may help, but I believe the real change must come from within.

• As we can know,cheating and plabiarism in schools is become more and more common .I hold the opinion that cheating in schools is awful .
    On the one hand,if someone cheats in an exam,it will be unfair to the other students.We should make the world more fair so that we can have happy life.On the other hand,cheating and plabiarism mean that we are not so understand of knowledge.We study not very good.
    In my opinion,if we want to make good marks in exams,we have an only way that hard working in our study.If you try your best to study,you will make some progress.
    • That is correct, Lu Wenjun, if students believe in hard work, they don't need to cheat! The reality is, however, that many students don't want to work hard, but still want the high marks! But, I have sympathy with the Chinese students. I personally believe that it's the education system and the bad example from their leaders that encourage them to engage in that kind of behaviour. Can we really blame them? ;-)

• Hi,to my surprise,I have done this project before when we were in the English-speaking class and had talked about the plagiarism.In the worksheet that said a national survey found that 75% of the 4500 students questioned had participated in serious cheating.Yeah,I think it's usual for students to cheat in the exams as they are still kids who can't tell the right or wrong correctly.When we are joining exams we always want to get high marks and don't want to be critisized,and the  plagiarism is a cut corner on the way to our destinations.However as we gragually grow up,we start to realize it's a terribly wrong thing to cheat no matter in doing what.In fact I can't stand the students who cheat in the exam because it's very unfair to the students who want to prove themselves by serious study,and it should be given punishment when being found cheating.

http://plagiarism.In/
    • Haha, if you know this lesson, Katrina, then it should be easy for you in class tomorrow! If you had my class previously, then I guess we could have done this lesson as I like to do it once a semester with my new classes! Hope you would not be too bored tomorrow! ;-) Yes, all students always want to get high marks (it is a natural thing!), but not all students want to work toward that! So, then they take the short cuts and ... cheat. Especially in Gaokao I think it is terrible to cheat as you keep another student below yourself when you get higher marks because of your cheating. How can one live with such a conscience? But they still do that. I agree; the punishment for cheating should be severe, but it should be consistently applied (some teachers allow cheating ...).

• Nowadays,plagiarism becomes more and more common in students. Just like what is said in the worksheet, many students believe that getting good grades is more important than being honest. In my opinion, I hate cheating in the exam. On the one hand, for students who study hard and seriously, that is very unfair. In my high school, plagiarism is not allowed. While the school's punishment is, the confiscation of papers and the course grade is zero.However, there are still many students cheating in the exam. On the other hand, even though the cheating students get good grades in the entrance examination of university. However,in the near future, when they are applying for a job, they will let the person of the company feel incompetent and ignorant. Therefore, as students, we should be responsible for others,even be responsible for ourselves. It is necessary to be a moral person.
    • Good comment, Xu Heyun; thank you. Quite interesting phenomenon that students would continue cheating despite knowing that the punishment in some cases would be severe. Are they so desperate? I agree we should be responsible and accountable for our actions. And you are right about morals; maybe that's the biggest problem of all as people don't care much whether actions are morally wrong, or not - as long as they themselves (and their families) benefit through their actions. The change must come from the inside...

• Yes, it is a normorly comon that the students who in the school always copy others in exams.This thing may happend for long ago because of the thought of many students want a nice grade,but don't have other plan .This thing may can be resolved by the range of the ting .And I will nerver copy other in every exams .I hope can give everyone's fair.
    • Yes Wang Xiaoxu, they copy other's work to get better grades, but if they have studied well from the beginning, they wouldn't have to cheat as they would know all the answers! You sound like an honest student (I believe you)! ;-)

• I always hate cheating ,that's unfair to the students who work hard.Some teacher are lenient when they saw some student cheating while other teachers would tell the student who was cheating go out ,and gave a zero mark.I saw the debate in worksheet ,I prefer to support the punishment in Topic#2 .Gave a 0 mark , required do the course again ,students still may cheat again if they want to .Although the way in Topic#2 is hurting their self-pride ,it,s effectual ,people were hurt then realize what to do and what is wrong .If I saw someone cheating I wouldn't tell teachers ,but I may have a bad impresion on him or her.By the way ,I've heard the news ,I'm able to tell the news if my stick is drew out.
This reply was deleted.