Week 13b: Friday, 5 December 2014

(1) Students, pse remember to LISTEN and prepare Tara's News! You don't have to comment on the news.

(2) Mini-debate: Cheating and plagiarism in schools

We'll read an article about this phenomenon, learn some vocab, discuss some questions in pairs, and then enter into different debates about the question of cheating. Student have to read the worksheet before commenting.

M - W13b - Mini debates - Cheating.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I think it is true that cheating and plagiarism are becoming more common and more accepted among students. And in my view, cheating is wrong because it is a kind of dishonest behavior I think. To be an honest person is more important than to get a good grade. If we often cheat , we may have many credibility problems in our future life that will affect our future work. So I think we students should not cheat in the school, try to be an real honest man.
    • You are correct in that it is better to be known as an honest person than a cheater, Zheng Chunyu; but the reality is sadly, that not all people think like that. Dishonesty would therefore always be part of our societies. I don't think people that are dishonest would easily change as the punishments for dishonesty is not that severe, and is this not also the example that they get from many of their superiors and from society?!

• I think it is because now dys we almost chose to not to talke to some one we do not meet on the cell phone .And not to listen to what other people said to us .
  • I do not like cheating,too.I thnk it is unfair to other people.If you want to improve your grades.please try your best to study.But since I enter into the campus,I found it is a common phenomenon here.Because its' standard is low,only to pass the exam.Suppose you do not want to take part in the exam for postgraduate schools,Studying may be not important.Now I am thinking that whether cheating is bad or not.
    • I am not surprised that you said that, Wu Ting. I heard (and even noticed it myself) that our campus isn't immune against cheating. I am embarrassed about that. But on the other hand, show me ONE university or school where they don't cheat ... I think it is that bad. Whether cheating is good or bad ... you don't know?! Well, let me tell you, if there is one person that says that cheating is not bad, then something had gone terribly wrong in society if people start saying bad behaviour is now acceptable. Is that where we are now?! No, not yet (I hope), as too many students said here that cheating is still wrong!

• I think cheating and plagiarism is unfair to the students who study hard. And the students who succeed in cheating won’t hard work ang more .If the students always cheating in the school, they will try to cheat in their work in the future. And this isn’t good for the development of students.
    • You are absolutely correct, Xu Yang, that the cheaters would continue that habit after school and university. Isn't that the reason why there are so many corrupt officials who abuse their power and earn money in illegal ways? Can we then really blame the cheaters if that is the example they get from society? So, cheating will never stop as long as the leaders and superiors are engaged in similar actions; don't you think so?!

• Firstly,to be honest,the phenomenon of cheating and plagiarism is not only appears in North American school,but also appears in most Chinese schools.Whether the size of the things, such as homework and exams, even the university entrance exam, or elementary school or university, this common phenomenon as the root of the existence of the strong.Nowaday,the item that help you cheating is very hot on the market. However, as mentioned in the airtle, many students who use this shortcut didn't feel any sorry about it,to them,how sad we are!Therefore, through education and severe punishment to control the climate is very necessary,isn't it?
    • Yes Liu Weifang, cheating and plagiarism happen in all countries where people live, I guess; but probably more so in America and China as America wants to stay ahead and China wants to get ahead and in the process both do not care how they do it; as long as they succeed! Actually a very sad tale, if you ask me. And as you mentioned, the market even helps the students with gadgets to do cheating without being found out! Maybe severe punishment would help a little; but I don't think that would solve this phenomenon.

• Yeah ,as we know, Cheating has become a common phenomenon in schools.Due to the increasing pressure of achieveing high marks.
    as far as I am concerned,it's wrong to cheat in exams.No pain,no gain,you can't get good results without hard working,it's no use to cut coners.Because you can't cheat people forever.So what should we do not cheating and plagiarism but to get to an destination step by step!

This reply was deleted.