Week 13b: Friday, 5 December 2014

(1) Students, pse remember to LISTEN and prepare Tara's News! You don't have to comment on the news.

(2) Mini-debate: Cheating and plagiarism in schools

We'll read an article about this phenomenon, learn some vocab, discuss some questions in pairs, and then enter into different debates about the question of cheating. Student have to read the worksheet before commenting.

M - W13b - Mini debates - Cheating.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Jiang Dan, you have laid your finger on the real issue, I believe ... Cheating is about dishonesty; but where does it come from? Are we honest in our daily living? How honest are we in our lives? Where does honesty start? I think it starts deep within us, in our hearts. So, that's where dishonesty (and eventually cheating) is born. To eradicate cheating and plagiarism (and other dishonest behaviour), the change must come from within. If we live honest lives ... ;-)

• It is not uncommon that students doing paper plagiarism on college or university campus .
    But I think plagiarism will definitely hurt the originality-makers. This kind of activity will lead to the decline of the creativity of this society .
    I agree with you on which you told me.When you quote something which is not your own thoughts, you always have to quote the source too!
    I disagree with the student's opinion in the passage.
    The other issue is cheating in examination.It will not only result in an unfair competition but also destroy the creativity of those bright students.(By the way,this happens quite a lot here)
    The student who cheats in examination will be given a severe punishment in my high school.The school put their name on notice and all the students will know their saga.
    examination.it
    This domain may be for sale!
    • It came to my attention too, Shelly, that students doing their Masters and Phd degrees (including teachers ...) cheat through plagiarism. Sadly, China has become so infamous for this, that the world is not regarding Chinese papers with respect as there is often a shadow of doubt over it. It would be very difficult to change that perception now. You are correct that the students in the article have a warped idea about why cheating can be justified. But that is how they see it today! Haha, I am shocked that cheating is happening here too, but I must admit that I am not surprised as I have myself noticed and heard about some dishonesty here that doesn't do the name of our institution very good. Yes, to curb cheating, introducing severe punishments would be a good start. But as long as it doesn't get applied equally and consistently at all education institutions, it would never be an effective deterrent. However, would that really be the answer? Where does cheating and plagiarism originate from? Are the students not merely following the example being set for them by their superiors (you can decide yourself who hey are...)? And then we blame them? ;-) 

• I think the effects of cheating is bad, it will affect students' exam fair, in addition, over time, gradually formed and disrupt the order. Cheating in school must be punished severely, therefore, when necessary, dismissing student as a disciplinary measure. Every student should by studying hard, and get good grades, rather than by cheating.

• Yes Sarah, they must study hard to get good grades, but what is the reality?! Would severe punishment really be effective to stop cheating? Leaders cheat, people in society cheat, etc; so, why can students not cheat also ...? Are we not unfair to the students if that is their example?

• In our campus,many students would talk wherther cheat the answer after the test.If you said no ,your students may be say you are kiding ,Do you sure the problem you could answer yourself.As the workssheet say cheating is becoming more common,this is just students in order to gain good scores or come into unviersiety.but the phenonmenon would influence school's study culture ,it cause school's reputation below.So school's administrator should pay more attention to contolling this phenonmenon.In addition,the students also think of thmselves dupty that is study ,So they should make use of the chance of study.
    • My experience is, Song Guangxia, that most students say cheating is wrong, but when they get their exam papers, they forget about their views on cheating and cheat anyway! I saw that in my own classes before. I like to do this lesson on cheating, but I've discovered in some of my vocab tests that there was cheating in some classes. Then I wonder by myself why the lesson on cheating couldn't change the students' behaviour? I think it is because the change must come from within - if the heart doesn't change, the person remains the same!

• I remember there was once that I’ve been asked to help a stranger for his ‘cheating thing’, To be frank, I really hate to be cheated, it’s just break the justice of an exam, though it’s a shortcut to get a high score. I’ve got some reason why some of my friends cheating in exams, one said that the subject is not the one he interest in, one said he thinks it’s useless. Everyone holds their own opinion.
    • I have heard about that, Long Yuan, that some students would only cheat when they have to pass a boring subject which is actually being forced on them. They don't need the subject, but have to pass it. So, they don't give much attention to it and neither do the attend many of those lessons. Maybe it is understandable, but I don't think it is excusable! In the west we also have that phenomenon, but we would seldom revert to cheating because we feel it is an unnecessary subject; we'll still try to pass it legitimately'. Yes, maybe a matter of opinion; but can a different opinion make it right?!

• First of all, I would like to say that cheating is for their own do not certainly, or want to achieve a certain expectations but can't so that make this measures to take . Secondly, in my opinion,cheating is a dishonest behavior, will cause some harm to others, others to work hard to achieve success, you only need to copy what you can, unfair to others will.So I don't approve the behavior of cheating , I think we should face up to ourselives , and each time the test is all about our assessment, others will not care about you a lot, and cheating in the past are not the real you have,I think.
This reply was deleted.