Week 13b: Friday, 5 December 2014

(1) Students, pse remember to LISTEN and prepare Tara's News! You don't have to comment on the news.

(2) Mini-debate: Cheating and plagiarism in schools

We'll read an article about this phenomenon, learn some vocab, discuss some questions in pairs, and then enter into different debates about the question of cheating. Student have to read the worksheet before commenting.

M - W13b - Mini debates - Cheating.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• What that called ? there is my name on which ,I forgot. I haven't watched the New Star War ,I want do it someday . I find you usually stay up late ,that's not a healthy babit,sometimes I saw the time when you reply our comments is small hours .
    • Well, if it is what I think you have referred to, then it is the memory stick with info on which one inserts into a USB port of a computer. You can call it a 'USB disc', or in my country we refer to it as a 'memory stick'. It is officially known as a 'removable flash memory card' (I think it was initially developed as a card, but with better technology it changed to a USB disc). Haha, you are concerned about your old foreign teacher! Well, I have always been a "night owl" and never an "early bird"! It is very difficult to change that habit when once used to it! I would rather work or stay up late and then sleep later; but don't ask me to go to bed earlier to get up earlier! I only rise early when I have the first class, but fortunately I didn't have any first classes this semester! I'm not so sure that it is not good for one's health - the only reason they say that, I believe, is that they don't think one gets enough sleep; but if you still get sufficient sleep (6 - 8 hours a night), I can't see why it is unhealthy! ;-)

• How to deal with cheating? Many students like to cheat in the examination. Some will copy the answer their books. Some people will start a conversation with someone to share the correct answer. In addition, some even written material, their skin. There are several reasons, cheating. Some students want to get good grades no effort. Secondly, some are under great pressure and they worry will fail in the exam. Once students found cheating, the teachers should punish severely harm of cheating and explained. At least two methods to eliminate cheating. On the one hand, we should explain cheating endangers our students. On the other hand, the strict and effective measures shall be taken against cheating. Results, fair competition in the exam paying attention to the students' study instead of cheating.
    • Thanks Lyn; quite a good effort! Keep up the good work!

• I think it's a wrong action,not only because it go against the meaning of education,but also unfair to the student who don't cheat and plagiarism.And,it also means you are a unhonest person.Maybe in other people's mind,high marks means you good,but in my opinion,do a person is more important than do a good mark.Some students may say that they have pressure,then who don't?So,don't find excuse for the wrong thing,just work hard about you study.

• You are right, Guo Hongtai, all students have pressure and they don't all use it as an excuse. some work hard because of the pressure. Cheating will always remain dishonest behaviour.

• It's a general phenomenon that students cheat and plagiarize in the exam.In the university now,more and more students think good grades is more important than their honest character.However,some students can not study very well on the class,so the presure of exam makes them cheat instead of being honest.It's so unfair for student who use their own strength in the exam.I think the school should take some measures to prohibit cheating.And I think the sentence pattern given in worksheet is useful for us.
    • That is probably one of the biggest problems with this ugly phenomenon, Men Yaqiong, that students don't regard dishonesty as a bad characteristic any longer. So, it doesn't matter to them whether a person lives a dishonest life, or not; it's the same to them. If they don't change from within (the hearts), this problem would remain forever.

• I really think it is a must to avoid this behavior for it is unfair for others.It is really universal in our schools.This reminds me of one thing before and I remember it clearly.There is a student in my senior high school who is in major work class and have a high mark in evry test.But it is not by his hard work but by cheating.He can always get the answers before the test.But it is meaningless.he was just deceive himself.And it crashed when he have the National College Entrance Examnation.This time he can't get the answer before the exam.Naturally,he got a low mark and went to a bad college.
    Cheating is just cheat themselves in my opinion.Of course it will be unequal to other competitors,but the most hurt person is himself.We can not cheat in both thing,and when we meet this thing,we will fail seriously for we put most of our life to cheating and hiding this behavior.Do you want this kind of life?My answer is "ABSOLUTELY NOT"
    • I agree with that view, Gina, that a cheater just cheats himself. That boy in the Gaokao exam discovered that, but too late. And as you also rightly mentioned, the cheaters would continue to live that kind of life and always hiding it. We see that example in daily life in our societies nowadays. Maybe you and me don't want this kind of life, but many don't care as they mostly get away with it. I guess we have to live with dishonesty around us; sadly, it won't go away!

This reply was deleted.