Week 13a: Monday, 1 December 2014

(1) Video lesson continue: Encounters in the UK

We'll complete Activities 3, 4 and 5 of this lesson. In Activity 5, three questions will be discussed. Students can answer questions 2 and 3 in their comment to this lesson. I repeat the questions here:

1. What is "complete immersion"?

2. Why is it seen as such a good way to learn a language?

3. Is it possible to get some of the benefits of "complete immersion" without going to an English-speaking country? If so, how? If not, why not?

(2) Activity 6: Role plays:Role plays in pairs: Student A is planning to study abroad in the UK and stay with a host family. Student B works for the company that organizes homestays. B will interview A in order to get all the information needed to place the applicant with a suitable host family. A answers the questions and explains what their requirements for their ideal host family would be like.

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The methods of learning English in the video is living in a local family .i think it is very helpful.Living in a local family ,we have to communicate with family mumber in english .wwe can learn a lot of Oral English. and we can learn a lot of english words .In the process of chat.there may be some words that we don't know,he can show you .or he can do the verb to you.In this way, you will remember more clearly.In China.just like us .we just speak english in the class.We do not have have a English speaking environment,we have not practice the knowledge and skills of english we learned,i think when learning a language,we have to ensured there is enough time to practice this language,living in a local family can do this.

• Thank you, Li Xinlan.

• Complete immersion means you are focus on something seriously,you must make a great progress whatever you are doing if you are in complete immersion.When you were in that state,communiting with native speakers of English can improve your English without doubt.We can regard ourselves as native speakers of English which can be helpful for spoken English while we are in complete immersion.

• Your understanding may be correct, Zhu Qianfeng, but only if you understand that it can only take place in the country whose language you'd like to learn! If that is not what you understand, then pse read my reply to Zheng Chunyu above as I can then actually write you the identical reply! :)

• In my opinion,complete immersion is the best way to learn a foreign language as possible as you can.You can wholely lose yourself in a invironment that you must speak English all the time.So you can improve the level of english speedly.As to the requirements for the host family,I think the most important is the host parents is kind to student.they can give much warm to the student who study abroad.And in daily life ,the student can learn English when communicate with them.
    http://time.So/
    See related links to what you are looking for.
    • I agree, Men Yaqiong, that the host parents play a crucial role in the success of a homestay (which is another format of "complete immersion", maybe even the most effective way). If they are kind and always let you feel at home, language learning, and life in general would become a pleasure. So, they are probably playing the most important role, as you mentioned.

•  1、It refers to someone is absorbed in doing something.
    2、In that kind of environment, you can contact with English in the daily life.For example,when you are communicating with people, watching movies, watching TV, reading newspapers, shopping and in various of other entertainment projects,you have to communicate in English.So it is suitable for learning English.
    3、Yes,it,is.In the bedroom, we can learn to use English to communicate between the roommates.We can use the Internet to watch TV and listen to English songs, in order to make the bedroom have a kind of atmosphere of learning english. 
    英语网|english.so|英语网.cn
    欢迎访问英语网,英语网.cn,网址:http://www.english.so
    • Aha, you have overcome the problems, Zheng Chunyu! Good to see you back! Your reference to "complete immersion" may be correct, but when we talk about language learning, it is quite far from the correct meaning! If you want to learn a language through the method of "complete immersion", it can only work when you live in the country whose language you want to learn where you are completely surrounded by the culture and the target language. However, I can see from your explanation in your second paragraph that your understanding of "complete immersion" is correct, BUT, from your third point, I am not so sure anymore! If I jump into a deep lake, while under the water, I am completely immersed. So, only water around me, and I will become like the water, completely wet! Maybe your artificial atmosphere in the bedroom would work for a few minutes, but you can't live in the bedroom for the whole duration of your studies! What happens the moment you stick your head out by the door (to start living!)? Yes, every Chinese person you meet will talk Chinese to you! It can only work as it is designed to be when in an English-speaking country. ;-)

• Complete immersion that stay in a environment without any influence by the outside like going to an English-speaking country in such a great way that foreigners who don't speak English, can better and faster to speak English fluently.The most special place is, in any case you have to speak English!That's the main reason that it seen as such a good way to learn a language like English.For all the nice advantages,there is a limiting conditions that the pay for complete immersion is so high. BTW, it's possible to get some of the benefits of "complete immersion" without going to an English-speaking country.Such as living in a place that has a lot of foreigners, and communicate with them actively.
    To the role play,if I were student A,I want to ask for an odd that I can't live with a hostboy or hostgirl who is Japanese!
    • Liu Weifang, it looks like you understand the meaning of "complete immersion", but then I can't understand how you can say it can work in a non-English speaking country?! Yes, there may be many foreigners around you, but what language would you speak when addressing your own countrymen? Of course, your mother tongue! So, then it is not "complete immersion" any longer. About the role play, I guess a Japanese student would not have the same requirement as a Chinese student as they are not so full of hatred as the Chinese, right? A wise attorney once said this to a friend: "If you hate somebody, you will become just like him" ...  ;-)

This reply was deleted.