Week 13a: Monday, 1 December 2014

(1) Video lesson continue: Encounters in the UK

We'll complete Activities 3, 4 and 5 of this lesson. In Activity 5, three questions will be discussed. Students can answer questions 2 and 3 in their comment to this lesson. I repeat the questions here:

1. What is "complete immersion"?

2. Why is it seen as such a good way to learn a language?

3. Is it possible to get some of the benefits of "complete immersion" without going to an English-speaking country? If so, how? If not, why not?

(2) Activity 6: Role plays:Role plays in pairs: Student A is planning to study abroad in the UK and stay with a host family. Student B works for the company that organizes homestays. B will interview A in order to get all the information needed to place the applicant with a suitable host family. A answers the questions and explains what their requirements for their ideal host family would be like.

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Actually ,I came from south China, the weather there is more warm .After stay here for more than one year I get used to ,the food ,the weather ,the people and the cultual .I can quickly deal with the situation when my life environment changed ,I just expect that there is something which I love ,and I can enjoy it.
    • It sounds like you are very adaptable, Katherine; so, I think you would be able to do a homestay one day! There is the saying, "where there is a will, there is a way", and that's why you and me can fit in anywhere because we make that choice! But the English weather is quite different from here (and much different from that of Liu Panshui!) ... Here we still see the son regularly, but I understand that London, for example, only have a total of four months sunshine! ;-)

• Complete immersion must mean put oneself into the enviroument with what you need.Like if you want to improve your english level,you can go to the country which first language is english. In china,everyone speak chinese and you communicate with others in chinese.So there is only a little time for us to listen and speak english.From this terms,"complete immersion" help us to extend the english pratise time effectively.However,not everyone have a chance to go abroad.If we really want to improve our english,we can use what we have to do it without go to another country.
    • Tiffany! You surprised me again! Thank you.

• "complete immersion" is someone completely aborded in the english environment ,In thire life ,they always use the english communication with others. and they think study english is a hobby, not just to improve the skill.If we have a environment of speake english everywhere and everytime ,it is helpful of our's feel,and correct our mistake and accent ,when we study grammar,vocarbury and so on ,it must practice communication with others in our life ,so the homestay can give us a chance to practice the english ,Beside it can teach us to live with each other.yes ,it is important us to get some benefit ,even if we haven't the chance to go to an english speaking country,We could study the methord them,we always speak the english with our classmates in our free time ,and we could watch some english TV,movie.it'is also improve our english skills.
    • Thank you, Song Guangxia.

• As I had said,when we are learning a kind of language,we learning a kind of culture.complete immersion supports us a environment full of this kind of Eng-culture,making us get easier to get English under our control.
    I think it's possible to get benefits to this called "complete immersion" without goto English -speaking countries,we can take part in some kind of English club and then make some foreign friends,they will take thier things to our world,then we can get touch to them influence.
    That‘s all my opinion,I hope get to you my teacher!

• Thank you, Luo Yuanyuan.

• Ok,I will indicate "according to a dictionary "next time.
    I means a movie have both Chinese and English subtitles.Mybe I should call it “bilingual subtitles movie"?I don't know which is correct.
    Thanks for point out my fault.
    • I understand now what the meaning is (as you mentioned in the class). Just refer to movies with binary subtitles, or dual subtitles, or double subtitles; or movies with both Chinese and English subtitles - as easy as that! Btw, the clever people say one can use those kind of movies in the beginning, but a time will come that you have to move on and start watching the movies without subtitles ..! But don't despair; some actors don't speak good English, or don't have good pronunciation (and Hollywood doesn't care), or just don't speak clearly, and even I can't always follow every word!

This reply was deleted.