Week 11b: Friday, 21 November 2014

(1) Music lesson: The Rose by Westlife/Bette Midler

Students, pse look at the worksheet before you comment.

P.S. Long Yuan, can I ask you to bring your computer to class, please?!

(2) Discussing the wear of school uniforms. Pse look at the worksheet first before your comments.

The Rose - S.pdf

The Rose(1979).mp3

M - W11b - Discussion - School uniforms.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Very interesting, Katherine! I didn't know that some Primary and Middle schools allow their students to wear private clothing (with a few exceptions like the scarfs and the Monday tradition). It appears that the senior high schools make no exceptions. But my question is: If students are allowed to wear private clothes (and accessories), would the girls not become too attractive to the boys ...?! Really; that's something to think about! ;-)

• The song words are beautiful,gentle tone.Among the lyrics,i like the sentence 'love is a razor that leaves your soul to bleed' the best. It is vivid! If we were hurt or  experienced anythings bad  ,no matter which kind of love,we would feel sad and leave soul to bleed.

I agree students in primary school wear uniforms because the students in primary school are too yong to judge things. They may be more easier to judge others based on colothes and not care for othes' feelings.

• Well Zhang Min, it is not necessary for love to let the soul bleed; it can also bring healing to the soul! About the school uniforms, maybe that's a good solution - to have uniforms in Primary schools, but not in High schools. But I'm not sure that the education authorities would agree to that!

• I will love it is a river, drowns the tender reed to define love. Love can tolerate together, also can do anything, it can put all the painful things warm, as long as there is love is not afraid of all the difficulties and setbacks in heart, believe love can resolve all the disappointments.
    For the students, I think that school uniforms is a habit for their small culture, personality, and sometimes is also a kind of protection to their own, although he has a lot of personality to play, but more uniform or a symbol and belief.
    • I agree, Zhang Yingying, love is an amazing thing! As you mentioned, with love one can face difficulties and setbacks and overcome disappointments. An ancient writer wrote, amongst others, the following about love: "Love is longsuffering and is kind; love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, and endures all things".

• I am sorry I was absent last lesson.
    I really enjoy the song--The Rose.And I love westLife so much.
    Schools students all have to wear school uniforms,though there may be no one do love uniforms,we have to cause we are students.Some consider it is not fashionable,the most unbearable is school unniforms always do not fit everybody.Even we are in hip hop while we are on school uniforms.I hope someday we will never wear school unniforms while we are students.

• Yes, the class missed you too (and I think Sarah missed her head assistant), Zhu Qianfeng! Westlife makes good music, I agree. Their version of "The Rose" is very good, but I think Bette Midler's version is the best! I'll let you listen to both versions tomorrow and you can judge for yourself. Yeah, school uniforms are a big issue. Would be interesting what your class will say about it tomorrow!

• In china ,there are most students do not like uniforms. They think that the uniforms are every ugly , and most of the schools force the students to put on the uniforms all the time .And i think that we are new students .we can were fashion clothes ,showing our vigour.If we can devise our own uniforms it must the best.
    • I guess the uniforms they have in China may not always look good, Lily, but don't you think it is still a good thing for some kind of unity among the students (or uniformity)? In my home country most schools also have uniforms for their students, except some private schools and home schools. But of course, I think those uniforms are mostly much prettier. Here in Xingcheng I noticed that they would often wear tracksuits and that doesn't look so good (though it may be comfortable during summer). If you wear your own clothes, there may be too much wear on those clothes, don't you think?!

This reply was deleted.