Week 11b: Friday, 21 November 2014

(1) Music lesson: The Rose by Westlife/Bette Midler

Students, pse look at the worksheet before you comment.

P.S. Long Yuan, can I ask you to bring your computer to class, please?!

(2) Discussing the wear of school uniforms. Pse look at the worksheet first before your comments.

The Rose - S.pdf

The Rose(1979).mp3

M - W11b - Discussion - School uniforms.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yes ,in some way what you said also right.
  • Maybe you can't image what's the red scarfs like ,it's a triangle ,and flod the longest side,and wear it like konting a tie.About tradition ,I made some midtakes probably ,raising national flag is cinventional,school students do it almost every monday .
  • haha of course it is the time I spend with my friends and teachers~
  • I’ve never worn an uniform in my former school, but honestly, I wanna have a try(I mean just for one time).As far as I am concerned, Uniforms in school should wear in some special situation, such as raise the nation flag、School’s Opening ceremony, or other like sports meeting, but not necessary in our daily school life. I think match clothes by one’s own can develop he/she’s creativity, which is vital to our future. Somebody say that students will learn better, but for my part, if one cannot deal with this “wearing uniforms”thing,then how can they face this complex world in the future. At last, sorry about seeing the”P.S.”in such a late time, and again, my computer will be with me today afternoon.
    • Wow Long Yuan, you were so lucky never to have worn a school uniform! Were you at school in China?! If one listens to everyone (and with my own experience in South Africa where they also wear uniforms at school), I think the wearing of uniforms at schools are very important. I am surprised that you have a different experience! But I do not believe that the wearing of a uniform, or not, has any influence on a students personal character development. Comparing students from the west with those in China, their is about a 5 to 6 year difference in maturity and emotional development between the two groups. It can surely not be attributed to the wearing of uniforms. There are other reason(s) for that. Wearing uniforms just helps to concentrate more on the studies. ;-)

Yes, I noticed that the "P.S." in the lesson content would have gotten the message to you quite late as you were the last one of your class to comment (and of course just before the new cut-off time)! Fortunately we have already communicated about that earlier. But seeing you had to rush to your computer after this morning's class to get your comment in on time, I hope you enjoy your 'late' lunch now!

• We our had to wear uniforms in my primary school ,junior high school and senior high school.But we don't like to wear it.Bcause the uniforms is very big fat and we our wear the same clothes that we con't express our individuality.So in my views,elementary school students shouldn't wear uniform.Every year we must pay our uniform that we don't like,and it is more expensive than designer clothes.In China,almost school have that dress code.it make us looks more uglily.If we can wear our own clothes,we may feel that it must be better.
    • Zhang Tianjiao, why do you want to look more attractive (and probably even sexy) while at school?! School is for children growing up and they should concentrate on studies and not on attracting the opposite gender! Can you imagine the chaos at the schools when the girls can wear designer clothes and the boys start noticing them ... The boys would stop studying and keep the girls from studying too! So, maybe wearing school uniforms is actually a good thing! Yes, I can understand the sizes are sometimes too big, but that is just unfortunate (luckily it doesn't happen to everyone)! :)

• Uniforms make students equal on an economic level.uniforms can ruduce unequal treatment by teachers.uniforms encourage the inzidual students of a school to feel like part of a bigger group
    • Welcome to the EC group, Zheng Chunyu! See, it is not so difficult! Thank you. Yes, I agree that the wearing of school uniforms is a good thing and more advantageous to the students.

• I am very enjoy the song,including it's pretty lyric and graceful memody.
    we students in China always wear school uniform from young.Sometimes we are sick of wearing it,thinking of it's boring and ugly.I think my senior high school is very enlightened,for it just demand us to wear school uniform when having important activities such as sports meet and flag-raising ceremony.I think when we are in school uniform,our collective sense of honor become stronger.
This reply was deleted.