2014b: Week 8b: 30 October 2014

Compelling conversations:

During this lesson, we are going to talk about books. As I regard reading as very important for one's intellectual development, we'll spend the complete lesson on this topic. Tell me about the book you are reading at the moment. Why is reading important to you: Or is it not important? Why, or why not? We'll work in pairs and there are two lists of questions we'll be asking and answering to each other.

Compelling Conversations x1.pdf

Compelling Conversations x2.pdf

Compelling Conversations x3.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello,John.Because I can't reply with my computer,so I can only use my mobile phone to do it.
    I have read the text about the class tomorrow,that is reading.We will discuss about reading,including the books we are reading or those we have read,the writers of the books and what do we think about reading.
    I am not a person who likes reading very much,but I think that reading is very important,it can let us learn more things.In all,I am looking forward to the class tomorrow.See you tomorrow.
    things.in - This website is for sale! - things Resources and Information.
    This website is for sale! things.in is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what…
    • Sorry to hear about your computer, Jackie. Meng Guimiao told me that some students can't get on the website on their own computers. I don't understand that myself as other students do have access to the website. That confuses me. But Meng Guimiao came to my home to show me as his computer has the same problem. I am sorry for the inconvenience to the students. But I don't want to stop the work on the website as I feel it is an integral part of our classes. I hope the students would have understanding for this.

Pity that you don't like reading much, but at least you do recognize the importance of reading; and that's good! There are other ways of gaining knowledge (TV, computer, etc) and I guess you would utilize those as we all need knowledge.

• Good evening, teacher. In fact ,i am not an active reader.I just think reading a story on a book is not better than watching by imagine.So in my view,Watching the imagine is further better than reading. I had read only a foreign book called Greek mythology.In my childhood,I enjoy its characters as beautiful as described and its vivid plot.When I first received it from m y father,I was attracted by its colorful cover.And my father told me :you will love it I bet.I read it.And quickly I finished the reading.When I was in junior high school, in one English class,my teacher made us put out one of our favorite books to exhibition to the others.I put out it and showed to my partener.My teacher suggested me to read the foreign language of it.And then I read .One of its character named Sphinx told a riddle which was --what things walking in the morning by using 4 feet,2feet in the noon,3 feet in the evening?He asked every one of the passenger .If they can not answered it accurately,they maybe eat by him.The answer is the human being,from young to old.After reading it ,I felt there are many differences between about the English version and Chinese version.

• Kelly, you forgot to reply to my question to you! I'm still waiting that you explain to me why the answer to the riddle is the human beings?! I'm only a teacher and can't figure it out!

• Sorry to hear that you don't have a special affection toward reading, Kelly! You often write so well that I thought you must surely be a good reader! So, now this news came as a surprise! So, that book your father gave you was an English book, right? And you read it (and you were then only in Junior High)! Then you read about Sphinx in English to your classmates. Wow, that took much courage! But I still don't understand how the answer to the riddle of Sphinx can be people ... 4 feet in the morning, 2 feet in the afternoon, and 3 at night?! Okay, 4 feet I guess is the baby crawling; 2 feet represents an adult; but 3 feet ...?! Do you know?!

• Good evening,John.I have see the content about the next class.We will discuss some thinks that about books.And I am happy to it.Because I love book very much.For example,we learn knowledge with books.And after class I like to read books that witen by Carnegic.He give some good suggests to teeneagers.In my childhood,I love the Journey to the West.That is all.I am.looking forword to it.See you tomorrow,sir.
    • So, you like books by Dale Carnegie, Wang Shuaitian? Are they not too difficult to read? I guess they would be translations (otherwise it would be too difficult), right? But it would be good to read for potential businessmen like you!

• My mother has read mang story for me ,and i have mang stories' book. i read a story first time ,in my home ,my mother gave me, in chinese.In my high school ,i like the story about detective, it is very mythious,and the plot is very attractive.in china, the famous writer,such as moyan ,he has owned the noble price.I like libai ,he is the most famous poet in my country.his poem is very famous and almost all of us have read it,
    http://chinese.In/
    See related links to what you are looking for.
    • So, detective books are mysterious, Tina?! Maybe you'll appreciate next week's lesson if you like those kind of stories. Yes, I read about Mo Yan who won China's second Nobel prize (though his was for literature). Oh, and you like reading poems too? You sound like a romantic person! :)

• Good evening,John.The topic of tomorrow's class is reading.In fact,my hobby is reading.My favorite book is The Lady of the Camellias.And my first dual language book is Jane Eyre.It's very interesting.Though there are a little difficult.I think reading english book is good to our English. If we keep reading English books, our english will be greatly improved.

http://reading.In/
    See related links to what you are looking for.
This reply was deleted.