2014b: Week 12b: Thursday, 27 November

(1) Short awards ceremony to show appreciation to the class for their commitment and dedication through the semester. Awards will go to the 3 best dialogue-pairs, the best individual oral contribution, the best vocab test results, the best EC comments, and to the most persistent student.

Movie. We can watch one of 3 movies (if Liu Yufan could get us a media classroom...!). You have to tell me which one you want to see! 1. "The Freedom Writers Diaries" about a female teacher who was a model teacher; 2. "The Ron Clark Story" about a model male teacher in New York; or 3. "Walk to Remember" which also takes place at a campus, but it is a love story. So, most votes for one of these movies and we'll watch that movie!

Comments: This is then the last opportunity if you want to make a last comment (students don't return to this website afterwards ... so, it would certainly be your last comment here!). If you don't want to comment, it is okay. But to those of you who'd like to write something, tell me about your progress in English and what this year (two semesters) meant to you. I will reply to any comment (even if it is after our last class!).

P.S. Vocab Results: I attach the results of today's vocab test here. The correct answers are in bold. If you can't open it, I can send it to Liu Yufan on qq if required. Just let me know, pse. I noticed that at least one student achieved 100% ... and I know of one teacher who is very proud of you! I'll publish the individual results later.

Class 13 - Vocab paper Nov 2014 - ANSWERS.odt

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Good evening, John. This may be our last comments, I cherish this opportunity. We see a movie tomorrow, I feel very happy, I want to see the last movie. I feel very sorry about our vocabulary test didn't get a perfect result. Tomorrow will be our last class, I am looking forward to the next semester courses.Next semestr I will study harder.and I have a great progress in this year.Look forward to next class.Goodbye teacher.
    • Yes Zhou Yuqi, this would probably our last communication with each other. Thank you for your contributions to make our classes successful; without the those contributions from you and your classmates, it would not have been possible. I agree that you and most of your classmates have made good progress in improving your English skills. Don't stop learning now! Oh, and I'll miss you and Ann much, Zhou Yuqi!

• Hello John!Time flies, we have known each other for almost one year.It's the last time to make a comment this semester.But I don't feel sad,I know we will meet again next semester and I can make comments in the webites if I miss you.I have known the content of the next class.The next class we'll do some awards before the movie.In my opinion ,I prefer the third movie "Walk to Remember", because we are youth and college students,we like love story at a campus.Although you are a strict teacher ,I still love you and respect you.I can see my great progess in this year.Now I can communite with others without nervous,and my speaking and listening improve.When communicating with others I can organize my own language to express my thoughts in a short time.But I also have many weaknesses to study and I will work hard in next year.Looking forward to the next lesson.See you teacher!
    • Thank you for your comment, Pauline. And thank you for those kind words (which I'm not sure that I really deserve, by the way); I didn't realize that you appreciated me so much. I also noticed that today. You are also like Crystal, a little different from many other students, as Chinese people don't easily say they love other people (let alone a foreigner!). So, thank you for those words, anyway. In the West, I have discovered that those words, "I love you", have become too 'cheap' and people would sometimes use that without really meaning it. But when I hear those words in China being said to me, I know it comes from the heart. You know now that I love you dearly, and I will miss you and Tina and your class extremely much. Maybe it's because there were so many girls in your class (and girls mostly have such beautiful personalities), but for some reason your class climbed very deep into my heart (though I didn't show it that much, until today ...). I am happy to read you are also of the opinion that your English skills have improved; I agree with you, as I have witnessed your (and most of your classmates) progress and I am excited about that. Lastly, you mentioned making comments on the website should you miss this old teacher, but you can also write an email to me if you have problems going on the website! Use my qq mail, or my other address is j3bester@yahoo.com. ;-)

• I have't wacthed any of three movies and I want to choose "The Freedom Writers Diaries".
    I really have no way to be interested in oral English class.Why do I don't like oral English class? I think I can't make a clear explanation in the short comment.However, I must give teacher a preliminary reason.I don't know what to say about the topic we discuss in oral English class.In other words,enve if,in chinese,I also strongly feel that I don't know what to say about the topics in oral English class.I don't know why my classmates to express their views fluently in class.Maybe I didn't learn Chinese well or I am not good at expression. why on earth?Could you tell me why?
    • Thank you for your last comment too, Li Zimu. Haha, you have a delicate dilemma about learning English ...! But at least you attended some lessons (and you owe me two for 2014 - don't forget!). No, I can really not give you an answer about the problem with English. I think half of it is in the mind, as you were probably never told that it would be good for any student to learn an additional language (for various reasons) as I still see to much of a negativity in China toward the English language (lack of vision, I believe). And the other half is probably because you don't have a dream or goal about English for your life.

Li Keqiang (for whom I have great admiration, by the way) set himself a goal to become a great leader of China, but he knew, to be able to stand out from among his peers and competition, he had to master the English language. The rest is history - today he speaks the best English of all in the Chinese government, AND he is self-taught (no TV, computers, and English teachers when he grew up - he is my age)! But, it started with a dream, which became a goal. His dream and goals for himself didn't limit him to the borders of China! So, Li Zimu, don't limit yourself!

I already told you on qq that you gave a good contribution in your dialogue last week with Wang Shuaitian (and I mentioned that you even impressed me more than him!). I would hate to fail you, because you missed too many classes. So, that's why I arranged with you to give me two more, because I think you deserve to pass based on your oral. So, in my final analysis, I think you have excellent potential, Li Zimu, and you don't realize that! Again, don't put limitations on your potential, and don't get influenced by others. You owe it to yourself to do your best in life. Good luck! ;-)

• Hello,teacher!I'm glad that I can give the reply the last time this semester.The next class,before the movie,we'll do some award.Congratulations to these students!For me,I prefer the movie named "The Freedom Writers Diaries" ,because I want know something about the model teacher.During the two semesters,I learned a lot.To begin with,I have more chances to speak English,you know,after the class,we have few chances to speak English.Additionally,when people speak English to me,I can react to them immediately.Sometimes,I even can't help speaking English with my roomates.To speak the truth,I didn't do very well,there're many aspects I need to compensate.I'll work harder next semester!Best wishes to you,my dear teacher!
    • Congratulations to you too for your award with Han Qing, Maxine! I think you deserved that because the vocab both of you used to talk about your science project, really impressed me! I had the feeling that you have worked hard on your dialogue and it showed on the day. Sorry that we didn't watch your movie choice, but I guess you could have enjoyed today's movie with us, right?! However, pse do yourself the favour and watch that movie, The Freedom Writers Diaries, as it too is a great movie and it would surely inspire you. If you can't find a copy, pse let me know and I can bring you a copy on my USB disc (or give it to one of your classmates). But you must watch it! I think you and most of your classmates have improved their English skills, Maxine. Thank you for the effort you put into it. One of the things that really gives me great joy in class, is when I hear my Chinese students talk with one another in English; and I noticed how you and Han Qing have done it with excitement, and it gave me great joy! Thank you! May you too have a great time ahead of you. I will miss you so much, Maxine.

• Hellow,John.The time is so fast,I have learnt in your class for a year.I am very glad to meet you.I have to say you are a great teacher for me.Because of you, l know there is another way to learn English.You tought us with speaking and listening,instea of the boring grammer.l have pass the CET4 in this June.I can not blieve I can pass it when l do not go.to college.It is very useful for me.About the movie.l watched any of them.So anyone is ok for me.See you tomorrow,sir.
    • Thank you for the comment, Wang Shuaitian. I am happy to read that you learned a few different things in our classes which could equip you for your future. Thank you for your good attitude in class throughout our time together. You set a good example how a boy should behave in class (though I guess you didn't have much of a choice with such wonderful classmates around you)! I will miss this boy! Thank you for helping me out today with the chocolate! As I said, it was my fault as I made a calculation error as Liu Yufan got two awards, meaning that there were seventeen students to get chocs and not only sixteen! I'll give you a bigger choc soon (I'll tell Liu Yufan when I'm ready and she can give you a msg)!

Oh, and congratulations on passing the CET4! Now CET6 is waiting on you ... but I am convinced you would be successful again as I have much confidence in you!

This reply was deleted.