2014b: Week 11a: Tuesday, 18 November

(1) Music lesson: The Rose by Westlife/Bette Midler

P.S. Liu Yufan, may I ask you to bring your sound system to class, please?!

(2) Enjoy English: The Adoption

Do yourselves the favour and check out this website as I'll refer to it during the lesson: www.halfthesky.org

P.S. Oh, and don't forget to listen to Tara's News bulletin!

The Rose - S.pdf

The Rose(1979).mp3

13 - W11a - The Adoption.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I agree, Tina, not only is a rose probably the most beautiful flower in the world, but this song is equally beautiful and even moving. But, of course it is not only about love between a woman and a man, the meaning is much deeper than that. If people respected and honoured that love, Tiffany wouldn't have had to decide about meeting her biological parents as she would have still been with them ... I would also choose the adoptive parents as I don't think the biological parents have the right anymore to see their child they'd abandoned before. I wonder what your classmates would say ...? :)

• Good evening,teacher.Next class,we will first do the news by Tara.It is something about an Irish teacher who was denied a job due to a saying of her nation's alcoholism.I think this is not fair for that teacher.The desent can't be a judgement for everybody.We should judge everyone an independent person.
    We will then listen to the song and discuss it.After listening to it,I think The Rose is a soft song with beautiful lyrics.The lyric writes about the belief and love.I like the lyric"And the soul afraid of dying that never learns to live."In my opinion,this means during our life,only doing some meaningful things and being brave to love and experience can we taste the meaning of life and enjoy it.Don't let everything be lifeless and unimpassioned.I listened many singer's version of this song.And I appreciate Bette Midler's most.
    After this,we will talk about the girl Tiffany.In China,there are many this kind of things happened.(It also exist in the TV plays,it can always make the story being more attractive.)I think Tiffany should meet her parents.It is her right to know everthing.We will talk it next class. I won't forget to take my muscic system.^_^See you then.
    TARA srl - Home
    CMS ohne Datenbank - CMSimple ist ein Content Management System, das keine Datenbank braucht.
    • Thank you for your all-inclusive comment, Liu Yufan. I know you'll bring your music system, but will you also bring both recordings of "The Rose" by Westlife and the one by Bette Midler, pse! I have both on my USB disc, but that doesn't work on your music system!

Yes, I think your interpretation of that beautiful lyric is about correct. One should give one's all in life despite the risks (of failure, rejection, embarrassment, and even dying), unconditionally give of oneself, and thereby live a meaningful life until the end. Yes, Bette's version of this song is moving one's heart. But about Tiffany's dilemma ... can you imagine what would happen if people would start caring, and can love others unconditionally, even if they are not part of their family and close friends? Then orphans would all find homes, and children may not be abandoned anymore ...

• Hello, teacher.I know the content of next class.First, we will repeat the English news in the websites, the news is about Irish Teacher Denied Job Due To "Alcoholism", then we will listen to a song: The rose,by westlife, I like their songs very much, their music is very popular with us, for example, home, you raise me up, seasons in the sun, and so on.But this song was originally sang by Bette Midler ,she won the music grammy awards .About the rose , it is beautiful, the most classic lyrics is "lies the seed that with the sun's love,in the spring becomes the rose".it make me feel so nice.We will learn some grammar through this song, and then we will learn a story about adoption, I think Tiffany 's parents is cruel, they should not abandon their children, if Tiffany met her real parents, she should ask the first question is "why you abandon me?"That is all.(ps:I have to say,my roommate houyan,Since last class, she likes to drink coffee.and she think the coffee is not bitter).See you.

• Thank you for the comment, Amy. Yes, I love the lyrics too and the song is one of my all-time favourite songs. If there was more of that kind of love in today's world, we wouldn't have so many abandoned children who need 'new' parents ... I have done this lesson many times and all students always have the same question for the biological parents, "Why have you abandoned me?". I guess that is only human to know that answer.

P.S. I think you have a very smart and intelligent roommate who also likes to drink coffee (the drink of the professionals)! ;-)

• Hello, teacher. I have listened the news---Irish Teacher Denied Job Due to “Alcoholism”. In the current society, discrimination exists generally. But some forms of discrimination are ridiculous. And I have listened the song---The Rose. It is a lyric and warm song. “Lies the seed that with the sun's love,In the spring becomes the rose”. It is my favorite lyric. As for me, the definition of love I best like is “Love is a river that drowns the tender reed.” Because I think love should be similar to water flowing out in a trickle takes a long time to exhaust. And love should be as inclusive as the sea. You should bring the sunshine and warmth to your lover.
    • Thank you, Ada. I agree with you that the lyrics make the song full of emotion and 'warm'. It is one of my all-time favourite songs (dated back to 1979 ..!). I have the video also of the movie, "The Rose", with Bette Midler in the main role (she was later nominated for an Oscar award for her performance). But it is a wild movie as it is about a successful rock star, Janis Joplin (also known as Pearl), who destroyed her career (and life) through drugs, booze and hard-living (she tragically died in 1970 at age 27 of a drug overdose). If one could bear with the hard scenes in the movie, the rock music would make up for the scenes (but I wouldn't recommend it for young people to watch!). Btw, Janis Joplin was such a successful rock star in her young life, that the US Postal Services put her on a postage stamp for being one of the greatest rock singers of all time.

You didn't comment on the second part of the lesson, Ada, about Tiffany's dilemma. I hope you didn't miss the lesson and that you would still be prepared for class. ;-)

• Hello,teacher.I had listened the music of next class.It is so slowly i feel.I hardly listen to those musics with slow melody.It is a classical music which was popular for many years even today.The music told us what the autor thought about the love-just like a rose.The lyrics said that many people think of love is a feeling with pain.Possessing the love means have pains at the same time.But in the autor's eyes,love is a flower.The lover is just a seed.With love,the seed will be bloom a beautiful rose in next spring.I think this music shows his deeply love to his lover.At the same time,he also told us:as long as we have hope and love in our hearts,love will be bring us happiness."Lies the seed that with the sun's love,in the spring becomes the rose." In my eyes,if you fall in love with a person,don't be worried about he\she is not love you.Just try your best to give him\her your love with truly heart.As time goes by,your stickness may make your dream come true.I had listened only one song of the Westlife called Cry on my shoulder.I enjoyed it a lot.I think that bank is active.I will try to listen more musics of theirs.
    The news talked about alcoholism.I think it is good to make a similar ban in our country.Drinking in front of the class is unforgivable i think.Especially for primary school students.It may be an reversed education to them.
    What Tiffany experienced maybe exist in many part of Chinese mainland sopa operas i think.Of course it is do exist this kind of people who are confusing about their life experiences.In my opinion,she has to face the reality of her life experience.She should come back to her biological parents anyway.Because there must be many unrejectful reasons for them caused they abandoned her.They give birth to her and her adopted parents bringed her up.So no matter for her biological parents or her adopted parents,she has duty to support them.
    • Thank you for a very comprehensive comment, Kelly. If the version of the song I have incuded here is too slow for you, listen to Westlife's version; their one is a little faster (for the younger generation, I suppose!). But don't you think the lyrics are incredibly beautiful ... for example, the flower and the lover, the seed, and with the sun's love, the beautiful rose ...! Yes, I also think Westlife makes good music.

About the news, I suspect you may have misunderstood a little! The drinking wasn't in the classrooms, or with students (well, hopefully not). It wasn't even the female teacher who applied for the job that was guilty of drinking. It happened before with other Irish teachers (probably men!) and now they discriminated against her.

And about Tiffany's choice ... do you really think she should go back to her biological parents while they abandoned her already once before? What about her adoptive parents that raised and loved her for 14 years already? Do you really think any reason in the world can be valid for abandoning one's own child, your own flesh and blood? We'll discuss further in class ... ;-)

• Good afternoon ,teacher!I have known the content of the next class.I have listened the song The Rose by Westlife.This song is very nice and beautiful.From this nice song I learn about many attitudes in our life.Love like a river that drowns the tender reed,like a razor that leaves ours soul to bleed,like a hunger that an endless aching need. Love is afraid of breaking and so fragile that we never pay sincerely to love others easily.But Love is heavenly.We are encouraged to full of love to family,friends,lover. Although sometimes we will be hurt by others,we should be adamancy and become strong to face it.From this song I began to like Westlife.I will find their songs to listen to.I also known the content of enjoying English.There are some words and phrases to learn in the next class.I have read the English story,I think our world is full of love,the abandoned children will have their family.Tiffany's adoptive parents are kind-hearted people.They raised Tiffany to grow up happily and give her a complete family.We should cherish love.Looking farward to the next class.See you!
This reply was deleted.