(1) Wednesday, 4 June:

Class 1: Visit to Shoushan

As Class 2 wouldn't have class on Monday, we won't have an official class on Wednesday (except if you insist), but we'll pay a visit to Shoushan again. It would be required from each student to chat with the teacher for at least one minute about her/his plans for the summer holiday. We can do this early morning at 8pm (start of first class), or even earlier if you want to watch the sunrise. Or we can go late afternoon after the heat of the day (and maybe watch the sunset). Li Xiupeng can tell me what the class has decided.

Some students (females, of course!) suggested rather going to the beach ... I will consider that only on one condition: That the boys of Class 1 give me an undertaking to accompany me to Shoushan on a weekend before the summer holiday as I need some help there for a little task ... You can tell me also on which weekend so that we can secure that date.

Class 2:

Pse take note that you won't have an oral English class on Wednesday as you would have this class on Friday together with Class1. All students from class 2 are being invited to join our little expedition if you are not too lazy that day (we know you don't have class that day!).

(2) Friday, 6 June

a. Goodbyes ...

So, we have reached the time of the year that one foreign teacher in China never looks forward to. And this time 'round it looks like it would indeed be our very last class together ... I therefore just want to thank each and everyone of you for a great time we had together. Yes, there were times that I might have failed you and that I got upset or angry and felt obliged to 'haul you over the coals'/reprimand some of you, but despite that, I know in my heart that I enjoyed every time I'd been with you two classes. Please accept my apologies for failing you at times (especially when I got upset or angry). But I still think this was our best semester together as we have grown closer. Thank you to each of you who had made a contribution to make our classes as pleasant as it was, however small it had been. I have taken note of many such efforts. I really appreciate all of you. And I will never forget you, never.

b. Awards of Appreciation

The categories for this semester would be as follows:

Best role plays: Class 1 and 2

Best actresses and actors: Class 1 and 2 (sorry, no prizes here, only recognition!)

Best result in vocab paper: one student (or shared, if scores are tied)

Best EC comments: Class 1 and 2

Best progress: Class 1 and 2

A few 'special thank you' awards to some students - they would know why ..

c. Movie: Erya 121:

We'll end our classes by watching a truly great movie (trust me for this pse!) with an inspirational message for your life journey. There would be something in for everyone's taste (I hope!) - some action for the boys, a love story for those who like to inspire their dreams, and even a western wedding for the girls! Hope you like it.

P.S.

Xiao Hao/Li Xiupeng, can I ask you guys to please ask Maintenance (does Liao Gongda have some unit like this ..?!) to fix the first entrance door to that classroom (room 121) so that we can properly close that door and watch our movie in peace? I will really appreciate that.

Oh, and while you talk with those guys, please ask them too (I'm being opportunistic now ..!) to replace the defective globe at the light in the passage above the ATM on the first floor of Erya. I often withdraw money there after my evening classes and one can't really see what you're doing without light there (it's been like that for more than ONE year now and no one is doing something about it!); and many students would appreciate that too! Thank you.

Then I end off with my high school motto in Latin:

SOL JUSTITAE ILLUSTRA NOS!

MAY THE SON OF RIGHTEOUSNESS SHINE UPON YOU!

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thank you for the comment. I am happy to read that you feel you learned something from our classes and had a positive experience overall (there were of course some days when the teacher wasn't so bright ... I know!). Btw, I disagree with you about being a good teacher (as I know the truth about myself!), but I guess one has the right to one's own opinion. However, I also believe that your language skills have improved over the last three semesters. I enjoyed having you in the class. I will miss you and your class too. And thank you for your positive attitude which had a good influence on those around you (like mr Yin and mr Wu!). All the best for your future too as you enter this road of life we all have to tread.

• This reply was deleted.
    • I am glad to read that you are determined to continue the practice of speaking (and improving!) your language skills in future. That is a very positive goal and something I know a student would never be sorry about. And of course, of you persist in learning the language by yourself, the reward would not only to be communicating more fluently with an English teacher, but much wider than that (English unlocks the world to you!). So, don't neglect this learning process (though the discipline would be much harder now that there would be no more oral classes). Well, if you have changed through our classes ... I hope it was to the better! ;-)

• Thank you for your comment, Zhou Huanyu. Hope you did indeed appreciate our last movie together! Glad to read that you feel you have all mostly learned something from our classes. You are welcome to join any of my classes in future when you have time. If I remember, I will forward my new timetable to the class monitors and students can get it from them if they are interested (or you can ask me yourself and I'll let you have it). Of course, there is also English Corner on Friday evenings on the 4th floor at Erya which you can attend! If your class ever visits Shoushan (or the beach) in future, ask Xiao Hao to send me an invitation, pse; I'd love to go with the class! ;-)

• Thank you for the comment, Eva. I am happy to read about your journey in the classroom and to see where you stand today. Yes, I agree that you have also showed progress. I know as I remember clearly how nervous and quiet you and some of your classmates were in the beginning! But there was indeed gradual progress. I am glad you feel you have benefited through our classes. I am going to miss saying your name in about every class as I got to like the new pronunciation of your English name after watching that movie about the Freedom Writers. I hope I'll get another Eva (pronounce "Eiva" or "Eyva")! Yes, and maybe she'd also be dressing as nice as you ..! ;-)

• Thank you for your comment, Wu Meng. It was nice having you in the class (though you and Kobie did too much chatting at times ... and annoyed the teacher!). I am happy to read that you had good experiences in our classes. I hope that you can take some of that in your road in this life and that you may benefit from that. Yes, I do think you have made some progress too. Don't throw that away now! Do yourself the favour and continue improving your language skills! Remember my words (whether you may believe it or not, it is still valid!): "English is the key that unlocks the world to the student"! Good wishes to you too. :)

• Thank you for the comment, Shan Tianqi. Hope you did enjoy the movie I have selected for the class ..! Ha, you still remember that day ...?! I have already long forgotten about it, but now I remember again! Yes, there was a good reason for that apology ... it hurt me probably as much as it hurt you. You and Cheng Xue might have lost face that day, but I felt so bad because of what I had done to you as punishment. My heart was sad about that. But I guess you have forgiven me long ago as you always had a very good attitude towards me.

As you know by now, popularity is not important to me. Likewise, I try to refrain from giving unnecessary acclaim or singing the praises of some students, though I do believe to encourage at times, but with appropriate praises that I believe to be true (not just saying some things to look good in others eyes - that is being false). So, forgive me (again!) for not praising you at times! I can however tell you now that there was something that I would remember about you ... and that was your positive attitude in class! I noticed that about every time from you and your two friends in the back of the class (Cheng Xue and Zhou Huanyu)! So, thank you for that! I will also never forget you and your classmates who all became so dear to me in this time we'd been together. Good wishes to you too on your road of life that is awaiting you. :)

• Thank you for your comment and kind words, Shirley. And thanks for sending me the qq invitation; I agree we must always keep in touch. I will not leave China (by my own will); so, I may be here for many years to come and there is no valid reason that me and my students should be permanently separated! And if my qq doesn't work for some reason, you can also use my email (j3b@myworldinbox.com). I am also glad to read that you had some good memories from our classes too. I know I failed at times, but I also know that I tried to give my best (though one's best isn't always good enough!). Oh, and I would always be grateful to you and the other three girls for your selfless behaviour to assist your classmates ... :)

• As you said, a crazy old man (don't let Su Xu hear you on this ..!), and that's why he's doing crazy things ..! But I know he loves you (like a father, of course!). ;-)

• Time passes so fast.we are study together in three semesters.during this period we are happy and also sad.our happiness is your class is very lively and interesting.from your class we learned a lot and my English is improved.our sad is sometimes I don’t understand what you said and you get angry.we all know you angry is anxious for us.and hope us improve quikly.so I want to say to you thank you teacher.

I am very regret that I failed in the exam.i never thought I’d have 55 points.maybe it means I have to continue work hard.

• Thank you for your comment, Yunping. Yes, I was also disappointed that you didn't do well in the vocab paper. I usually think students do not do well because they do not have an interest in English, didn't prepare, or didn't give sufficient attention in class. I'm not sure about you though, as I think you did give attention in class and you had a good attitude too. So, I don't know. Maybe, as you mentioned yourself, it may help if you work harder. I am glad you have experienced some happiness in our classes. Sorry however for the teacher's temper that he lost at times ... if you want to, you can read my comment above to Li Kaiyu where I said something about that. But don't give up, Yunping; you have much potential and you are a good student. I believe you will have more successes in future. ;-)

This reply was deleted.