Week 15: Wednesday, 28 May 2014

(1) News by Tara

Please LISTEN to the latest news of the week by Tara.

(2) Feedback on the orals (and voting for best performances, and best actress and actor)

(3) The Customer is always right: Discussions about a conversation with a customer. Some of you would still do other English exams later this semester and this would be your last opportunity to practice your oral English in class.

(4) Vocabulary exercise

The vocab paper would have the same format as before with mostly multiple choice questions and also a few words to be written. If you revise the vocab we learned through the semester, you don't need to stress. Please try to prepare as some of you need a good score here as not all of you performed that well during our orals this week. Good wishes to you.

12 - W14a - The customer's always right.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I agree that some performances were excellent. I am glad I don't have to choose the best performance! I am only submitting the five best ones from each class which I think would have a good combination with language and performance. Some students who had performed well, but whose language was not sufficiently fluent, did not make the list of five .. Oh, and you have also noticed Li Fengxian's performance ...?! Yes, now that we are finishing our course, she is getting better! I could see that she was even enjoying to speak (or try to at least!) English in front of the class; and in the end it looked like she didn't want to climb off that chair!

About the customers being always right ... I think there is a big difference between China and the west around customers and service. In the west we are used to get good service and products. So, we usually know that we can trust the dealers. And they know the customers would mostly behave themselves. So, because of this mutual trust, the idea with the customers work better. It keeps the businesses 'on their toes' to give better service and deliver good products. Of course it doesn't always work like that as there are also dishonest, corrupt and rude people in the west; but I think the customer/dealer relationship works better there as it was established over many years (decades).

• This reply was deleted.
    • Haha, there were many good performances; also in Class 2. I was really impressed with so much talent I witnessed before my very eyes! Yes, some of the performances even touched our hearts as it was performed with so much conviction. I am so proud of my two classes. :)

And yes, if you want to maintain your good level, you have to perform reasonably well in the vocab paper too. But you have always given attention; so, I don't see why you wouldn't have success. Btw, we have some other lessons tomorrow too. Did you miss that?!

• I read the latest news I am dismayed by it .It is about pizza delivered by Drone.It's freight is very high,and the method of deliver is very high-technical.

About the last week role play,at least,as far as i am concerned,every group performed very well.There are interesting performance,and also educational performance directly  touched our heart.

I believe that every seller know that customers are always right,but there is few sellers can do it ,follow it .

About the vocabulary test,I will take it seriously .And i have prepared for it in advance.i hope i can do my best in it.Thank you ,teacher

• Yes, the performances last week were outstanding. Class 2 has done well too (I was of course fortunate to view both performances!). And you have outperformed yourself too, but I guess you realized that, not so?! ;-)

About the customers' role, I don't think it can work in China. Pse read my comment to Liu Yi above (the second paragraph) where I explained to her why I think so. You may not agree with me as you are Chinese; but that may not make my opinion invalid! ;-)

• The news"pizza delivered by drone",it is very interesting.i ever never think a machine can do it without people.i really want to see it with my eyes.it is so amazing.

About the role play,i think everyone's performance is perfect.everyone was try their best.i like lusia's performance.it's so good.it impressed me most.the performance of others also is very good.

The costumer is always right.yes,maybe it is right.but some costumers always use this embarrass businessman.so i think we should reasonable use our right.

EYES.IT
    • The performances from your class (and even class 1) were outstanding, I agree. But I am not sure whether the customer is always right in China! Pse read my comment to Liu Yi (second paragraph) where I explain why I think it can't work in China. I don't know whether you would agree with it (just my own observations). :)

• I agree with you, in China the customers are seldom right! Seriously, I have witnessed various situations where customers can be so rude, ungrateful, irrational and disrespectful, that I feel we can't blame the dealers and businesses not to put the customers first. yes, they want the customers to return, but in China there are so many consumers that the businesses don't really have to worry too much about that as there would always be another one buying the products. So, I guess this term about the customer being always right doesn't apply much in China. :)

Btw, I heard John is so proud of your partner in last week's role plays ... I wonder why (and of course, you can feel good about that too ..)?! ;-)

• Well, you and Yang Jiandan would get your chance tomorrow to show us your acting skills. Have you already decided whose going to be the slow tortoise and who'll be the quicker hare?! And yes, Bai Ma surprised me too; I'm proud of her.

Thank you; but John has many shortcomings (as you should know yourself as you've observed him in class). He is very well aware of the fact that he is not the perfect teacher and has himself still so much to learn. But I'll convey your message to him. ;-)

• Yes, the performances were quite outstanding from both classes. I am glad that I could attend both classes' performances. It was a privilege. Well, I believe the students who studies the vocab we've done in our classes, do not have to fear. I know the questions are sometimes tricky, but if one just remains calm and think deeply about what is asked, I'm sure it would go well. Btw Candy, do you know we are going to do another lesson tomorrow besides the news and vocab paper? Maybe you've missed it. ;-)

• I agree, there were outstanding performances in both classes (I had the privilege to attend both!). I can see our students have incredible talent.

You must bear in mind, this question about the customer being always right, is actually a western concept. I would not be surprised that it may never work in China. Firstly there are too many consumers to 'force' dealers and businesses to give good customer service as others would always line up to buy the next product. So, they don't have to worry about getting a customer to return. And then secondly, there are those issues of respect and trust which is lacking here, as far as I can determine. So, I think it is a matter of education, and education takes time .. So, maybe one day when Rock becomes a grandfather ..! ;-)

And then you are so right that one needs good vocabulary to be able to speak good English (or any language for that matter). I don't concentrate on teaching grammar (not my mandate), but I believe that when the student can start making sentences by practicing what she/he has, AND the student can be motivated to learn additional vocab (what I am trying with my classes!), the progress would come. Of course there are other helpful practices too, like reading the target language, and writing (in particular what we are doing here), because by reading, one's brain picks up how sentences are used and written in English, and our brains have been so brilliantly designed, that we would then soon start writing and speaking in the way we are reading books and articles. So, nothing that the student does in connection with English, is really wasted! I really believe that! ;-)

This reply was deleted.