(1) News by Tara for Class 2 on Monday, 19 May. We won't have time for the news at the second class this week as we will be engaged in the role plays and time is of the essence. There won't be a new news item out on Monday (only from Tuesday); so, you can choose your own news item from the list which we haven't done this semester.

(2) Learning English in Brazil: We'll continue Acitivities 6 and 7 about questions and discussions regarding the video we watched during the last class. In particular am I interested about your answer to question 11 from Activity 6.

(3) Discussion: Deforestation

We'll read a passage about the topic, learn some vocab, and enter into discussion through answering questions in small groups. What is deforestation about? Why should we be concerned about it?

"To be without trees would, in the most literal way, to be without our roots". - Richard Mabey

brazil-class-worksheet.pdf

12 - W14a - Deforestation.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• It is true that the English training schools have much more freedom and they are therefore also more successful when it comes to language training. I was at a language training school during 2009 in Shijiazhuang and although I didn't teach children, I attended some of their classes and those kids just loved to learn English. But even in the adult classes we had more freedom and the students from Hebei Normal University would often pack out the evening classes to attend lessons in a more relaxed atmosphere. We are lucky that here at Liao Gongda they also give me as foreign teacher more freedom to present my classes in a way I feel comfortable with. I heard that some foreign teachers have to follow a set curriculum from the universities and that takes out much of the fun and freedom.

• You have such an experience.I didn't hear it from you.The students from Hebei Normal University often pack out the evening classes to attend lessons in a more relaxing atmosphere.Is it similar to our English corner where we can discuss something freely and communicate with each other?And I feel we are lucky that you can have more freedom than other teachers in your class.Your classes are always interesting,and I like it more than traditional class.

• This reply was deleted.
    • I agree that the education system they use here is outdated and kills all enthusiasm for studies. Unfortunately the authorities that decide about that have gone out of touch with reality long ago; or, maybe their priority is not to make studying easier and more pleasant for students as it may not fit in with their goals. The Juan Uribe system for teaching is very effective and they have many happy students.

• Yes, that news was shocking. I don't agree at all with these demonstrations when one country's actions are disputed by such large scale demonstrations often being inspired by those very same governments themselves who believe that they have been unfairly treated by the other. China has done the same when they were annoyed with Japan and though there were no casualties, the Chinese demonstrators have destroyed quite a number of Japanese cars. So, China has gotten some of its own medicine, so to speak. But one can never approve of such behavior as it would always be deplorable. How sad that Chinese people have been killed and injured in this latest series of demonstrations.

Yes, we seriously need to protect the "lungs of the earth", or our students' children and grandchildren would not have a planet any longer to support human life ... Somehow, we should seriously reduce the use of disposable chopsticks, and the popular trend among the rich and upcoming middle class to treat themselves with expensive wooden floors in their new homes, should also be stopped. Governments need to take a stand despite losing popularity ...

• Wow, you know much about the importance of our forests and trees! I can't imagine what the earth would be like without trees. When I read your comment, I suddenly have better understanding for Richard Mabey's quote, "To be without trees would, in the most literal way, to be without our roots". The earth, and us, for that matter, can't exist without trees! Have we ever thought before, that trees are so important ..?

• I see you and Xiao Wang have something in common, Li Ningning, and that's to be attracted to the same news item! I was hoping that his name would be drawn today to share the news with us, but luckily you had the same item to share. Thank you.

Yes, we must protect our trees (but in particular, our rain forests) as we can't really survive without them as 'who' would absorb our CO2 and give us O2 in return - for free (it only asks a little water and some love)!

• I agree, those who make too much profit from timber should be limited, but the biggest problem is those people (the rich and the corrupt governments) that buy the timber as they have the money and they also don't care whether they damage the environment, or not. It is therefore not only the businessmen, but the governments that allow the shipments of timber getting illegally past the customs into their countries. And of course, the daily use of disposable chopsticks should be discouraged as we have discussed in class today.

• Sorry that you had to do the news again today, Eva, but it is your classmates who like to draw your name every time. If I remember, I'll take your name out next time ..

Well, I don't think we should not be allowed to cut any trees as the timber can be put to good use. But I think the problem is the indiscriminate cutting of trees and in particular where they form rain forests which is where we get much of the earth's Oxygen from. The poor and uneducated people should be educated in the preservation of nature and the environment. I don't think many of them know why we should look after the environment. And if that is the only way for them to survive, how can we expect them to stop? Governments should supply more support and relief to those poor people having to live off the timber they can sell to make ends meet.

• About the video,what make me the deepest impression is that the method of learning English.their's one of the way is through RPG games.it may be a good way for some people.but i don't think so.when play a game many people always think how to win and don't care about the English verbs and others.i think the most efficient way is that learn english when play games with children.because at that time children can freely express their views in english and don't be restrain not like in the class.i really like this way.

For the problem of deforestation.this phenomenon become less than before in recent years.one reasons is that our government took a lot of measures like pay fine.another reason is that there are many bad phenomenon because of deforestation.such as acid rain,dust storms etc.in a word,we should protect our environment,let us don't disorderly cut down one tree.

• Problem with paying fines is that rich countries can afford doing that without changing their behavior. It is therefore easy for China to pay the fines, but what are they doing to curb (restrain) deforestation? As long as the rich and greedy politicians want to spend their money (and the country's money) on timber to live extravagant lives, deforestation would never stop (except when our natural forests have all been destroyed). So yes, we and our countries should do more to protect our environment for the children and the children's children ..

This reply was deleted.