(1) News by Tara for Class 2 on Monday, 19 May. We won't have time for the news at the second class this week as we will be engaged in the role plays and time is of the essence. There won't be a new news item out on Monday (only from Tuesday); so, you can choose your own news item from the list which we haven't done this semester.

(2) Learning English in Brazil: We'll continue Acitivities 6 and 7 about questions and discussions regarding the video we watched during the last class. In particular am I interested about your answer to question 11 from Activity 6.

(3) Discussion: Deforestation

We'll read a passage about the topic, learn some vocab, and enter into discussion through answering questions in small groups. What is deforestation about? Why should we be concerned about it?

"To be without trees would, in the most literal way, to be without our roots". - Richard Mabey

brazil-class-worksheet.pdf

12 - W14a - Deforestation.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This reply was deleted.
    • Yang Jiandan, problem is, I understand, that the relevant state departments have corresponding policies and legislation in place to prevent deforestation and pollution in whatever forms. So, why does it not work? Because they do not apply it! China has laws for about everything under the sun, I was told, but only few of those laws are applied (the police do other jobs). For example, public smoking is prohibited in China, but the 350 million male smokers still smoke in public places! People are supposed to stop at red traffic lights, but cars, scooters and pedestrians still ignore it! And so one can go on! Yes, there may be ignorance involved as not all people are educated, but no country's government has an excuse as those politicians know what is wrong and what is right. The initiative and guidance should come from the governments as individual citizens can't force rules and regulations onto other citizens. But I agree that if everyone of us try our little bit where we live, it may make a difference. So, let's not give up trying! ;-)

• The part most interested me is communication tools,like Facebook、YouTube、Orkut,etc.Because it seems we can't use these in mainland of China.But I wanna use these if it allowed.As for the deforestation,I think cause the increase of population,we still have so many demands of forests.We use convenient chopsticks every day,and it's a kind of waste of forest,so if we have a system of recycling these chopsticks,there will be a large amount wood can be reused.And efficient use of soil is also important.Forests are very important for resisting  Greenhouse.See you,teacher.

• What a coincidence, RZH, that what Amanda said in the video (about the Internet and social websites) was also what made the best impression on me! But I am not convinced that Facebook would really improve one's language skills! If you and your friends have similar objectives (using the website to improve language skills), maybe there is a slight chance that Facebook can work for you. But, knowing a little about the Facebook users in the western world (I used it myself more than 5 years ago when I was still in RSA), I don't think they would be interested to help students improving their language skills. There may be FB groups for that purpose, and that may work. But in general, forget about it! People are too busy with their own little virtual worlds that they don't care anymore about others outside of that world. That's the reality of social sites like FB, I believe.

BUT, I firmly believe a website as this one we use here, is perfectly geared for effectively learning the language IF one is prepared to spend time weekly on the website, get involved in different groups, join the discussions, make a few friends in the process (not even so important, but as we are social 'animals', we need friends!), and maintain one's profile as the departure point of one's participation. It's like an English qq, but more! And then there is the 'Learn English for Learners' page which should be saturated from A to Z as one finds the time! After that one can say the Internet is a handy tool to help one improving one's language skills! ;-)

• Yes,I agree with you,maybe FB just a tool of communication,but it also can be a tool to know  foreign life.I admit,learning English is a long way,need me pay more attention.

• Haha Shirley, good question ... but are we really responsible stewards of our planet?! Humans are probably best known for their lust after destruction - they destroy people's lives in wars, and outside wars (like in peace times, as we are supposed to have now); everything that can break, they try to destroy in some way or the other. So, no wonder humans are the most dangerous 'animal' species on the earth! Will we wake up in time ..?

• Well, that saying is very literal, but very much applicable too (and being said half "tongue in the cheek"). Trees have roots (real ones!), and people have roots ... (not so real ones, but meaning where we originate from - for example, my roots are from the Dutch). There is a strong link between us and trees, as you yourself mentioned that trees ("the lungs of the earth") breath for us (CO2 in and O2 out). So, as a figure of speech (a metaphor), one can say that we lose our roots when we lose our trees! It's like saying, "he is a lion in battle", meaning he is strong and fighting as viciously as a lion (a metaphor). I'm not sure whether this helps ...? ;-)

• I am shocked to hear overcutting of trees. Of course, in China, there is also this kind of phenomenon. I think this kind of behavior is immoral, it is the lack of rational thinking, and not based on the plan. At the same time, overcutting behavior also exists in the whole world, as a part of the people of the world, we have responsibility, obligation to protect our forests. We should unite and strive for the beauty of the world.

I'm sorry that  I written  comment on Wednesday to Friday, and this is my mistake,   I'm sorry.

• Well, I guess the problem of deforestation is an issue in most countries of the world where they have natural forests, not only in China. What however makes it a bigger problem regarding China, is the size of the population as that makes the demand for timber so much bigger. China can't satisfy the demand from within the country itself. So, China depends on import of timber. But, if China is not going to change its consumer requirements soon, I understand, China may be the country that indirectly causes most of the destruction of the world's rainforests ... Did you know that?! I believe the Chinese people (in particular the rich and upcoming middle class) should be educated (and thereafter be penalized or even punished if they still refuse to adhere to the requests) about demanding fewer timber products (like wooden floors in homes and offices) for their own conveniences. And then they should find solutions for the use of disposable chopsticks very quickly ...!

• I am impressed that you mention today that you are also of the opinion that communication on the Internet (websites) is a good way to practice one's language skills. BUT, the question remains, how many students do that?! What about yourself?! You said today that you sometimes use it and that you even have an online American friend. I don't know how frequently you communicate with that guy, but I want to challenge you to start getting active on our own social website - this one I'm chatting with you on now! But, of course, you may only take up my challenge IF you want to improve your language skills. Maybe you are also just one of those students that were 'forced' by the university to take oral English and it wasn't really your wish .. How sad, if true! You however mentioned on your Needs Analysis form you have completed at the beginning of our classes that you are of the opinion that English is important and that you would need it in your job one day ... I hope you still have that opinion ... ;-)

• Yang Lingling, you didn't mention the age of the fossils they have discovered ... But I guess it's because you also don't believe that our earth can be that old?! If I have to believe everything the scientists say, I think I don't need brains anymore! If that fossil is older than 50 000 years, then it is fake as our earth can't be older than that! By the way, did you read your friend's comment ...?! I am puzzled that she complained about the degree of difficulty of this week's news item! Did you also find it a little difficult? Did you learn some new words from this news item? ;-)

This reply was deleted.