Week 11: Wednesday, 30 April 2014

(1) News by Tara

(2) Music lesson: "If I were a boy" by Beyonce

The grammar focus of this lesson will be on Second Conditional sentences (If I were ... I would ...) and we'll discuss gender issues and what it would be like to be a boy. Unfortunately the MP3 music file is too big (only 7MB allowed here) and we can only listen to the song in class.

(3) Reduce, Recycle, Reuse:

Short discussion on a few more environmental issues. We have already discussed the banning of plastic bags. But would that be sufficient to protect our environment? What about reducing the use of some items, or recycling some used items, or reusing some used items?! This discussion includes a short rap song and it is included here.

12 - W11 - ReduceRecycleReuse.pdf

12 - W11 - Environment Rap - Audio - ReduceRecycleReuse.mp3

Listening Lesson - If I were a boy.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• If i were a boy,i really like to listen it.i used this song as my cell phone rings before.the story of this song is that the girl wanted to replace the role with her boyfriend.let him confess his mistakes:self-righteousness,authoritarian,infidelity.i really hate the people that always cheating on their wife,and use domestic violence to their wife.as a boy,they must be loyal and must be broad-minded,unconditional good to their wife.maybe someone ask me why.i will say,there are one reason,it is you are a man.

• Yes Yunping, men are men and that's why they (us) are like that. But that is no excuse! Too many men have too many excuses for mistreating and disrespecting women. Men have no right to be violent with their wives (or even toward other women), neither authoritarian, nor cheating on them, etc. But unfortunately I don't think it'll change in this world. The only hope we have is that there may be some exceptions where men would treat women more decently and with more respect. I hope so ... for the sake of the many precious females who are walking the earth today. They deserve better.

• This reply was deleted.
    • 2393088242?profile=original2393088300?profile=originalWell, that too sound romantic, Annabel - to plant a love tree! Candy may agree with you too ..! Hiding the souvenirs may not be too environmentally friendly, I suspect!

Here are more pictures of the love lock bridge!

• Yeah, Di Xin is a wise girl, I agree! But there were better comments than Di Xin's here, Huang Guodong! Why did you not quote a few others' too?! Yes, true, boys pursue the girls and it must be exciting, but who says being the pursuer is more exciting than being pursued? Maybe Di Xin can tell us tomorrow how it feels to be pursued ..!

• Yes, maybe it will be very advantageous to be a boy, Shirley, because you are guaranteed to get a job, and many other things only men can get and do. But, I think it is still better to be a girl. We men should let our heads hang in shame about what we have done (and are still doing) to the girls. Men need a change of heart about the treatment and appreciation of women, is my believe. 

• Yes Yang Yujia, boys have the habit of hurting their gf's ...! I hope for your sake that there are exceptions! Biggest problem is they are taking you (the girls) for granted and want you to do what they want otherwise you risk being accused of not loving them. Will boys ever change ..?!

• Yi Xizhuoma, I am a boy, and I have tears! And I am not even ashamed of it! It doesn't make me less male; I promise you I am still a boy! It's only in China where there is that (surely incorrect) perception that boys may not show emotions and tears. So, do you then prefer a heart of stone from your bf (and husband one day)? Think again my girl! ;-)

• Zhang Fang, and I thought all girls would think the love lock bridge to be something very romantic - like Candy! But I was wrong ...!

It looks like you too haven't read the attachments about tomorrow's lesson ... Okay, can't blame you as you are not attending class. At least you have listened to the news! Enjoy your holiday.

• I agree Fan Yixin, boys hurt girls too easily. And they can do many bad things to her (like making her pregnant because of their selfish desires - sorry to be so frank ..), and then just walk away from her, unscathed. I'm glad I'm not a girl in this life. Just to be born female put you already in a disadvantaged position and then you haven't grown up yet. It would be good if boys could be girls for just one day to see what girls are like, feel their needs, hurts, etc, and realize how they should treat them better and give them more respect. Oh, but you just want to be a boy to drink a lot with your friends ..! Let me tell you, that (disgusting) habit is not really so noble! So, be glad you're a girl that don't have to drink with your friends (while your gf or wife must stay home)!

• 2393088304?profile=original2393088377?profile=originalCandy, here are some pics about that romantic bridge, specially for you (the romantic girl from Class 1)!

This reply was deleted.