(1) Listen to the News by Tara

We'll start the Wednesday classes with the news by Tara.

(2) Mini debate: English Globalization

We'll follow the same format as with our mini debate series: Reading the passage, vocabulary, discussing relevant questions, and finally mini debates in groups of 4.

12 - W10b - Mini-debate English Globalization.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks for the comment, Xiao Hao. What you are saying is correct, but also disturbing. When one looks at what they have decided about reducing English in Gaokao and eventually removing it completely from the curriculum by 2016, it is clear what their intentions are. And don't think for one moment their intentions are for the good of the Chinese students. I believe those decisions have been taken with nationalistic spectacles on which is only about how they can promote Chinese culture more and more. The real interest of China's children is not at stake here, let me tell you. And believe me, it is not about preserving culture (although that is what they may pretend). If a country's culture is so weak that by speaking another language the country's culture would be harmed, then that culture is an embarrassment anyway. Do the leaders think China's culture is so weak that it can be negatively influenced by the English language ...? Oh, come on!

But there's another thing you mentioned which is also quite disturbing, if you are correct in your summation. And that is, because China is getting more powerful they want to push Chinese culture to the world ... If you are correct, then it is becoming clear that China has hidden agendas in respect of its participation in world affairs. Rock have also today referred to the reason for the globalization of English as being one of 'power' that those stronger countries speaking English have determined what language would be the global language. And he reasoned that China should change that as soon as China becomes the world's superpower. That is really unrealistic. I can understand that Rock believes that as he's been told that by his educators (and you know Chinese students mostly believe what they are told!). If that is the Chinese thinking, then I feel sorry for the world when China becomes the next superpower. If China wants to force itself and its culture on the world, the world will unite against China, mark my words. The world would only respect China if China shows respect to the world. But of course, respect starts within a country itself. The country has to respect its citizens first.

As you know, the Chinese government has already (about 5 years ago) started working on this idea of promoting the Chinese language as global language. That's why they are establishing the Chinese language centers (called Confusius centers) all over the world in the major cities at great expense (but they have the money) where they get Chinese nationals to teach Chinese to the world. Of course such a strategy would be effective one day; it would just take some time. It is being estimated that in about 30 years time the world would speak Chinese and English as the Chinese government would by then have achieved their goal of making Chinese another global language. If one listens to guys like Rock, there would surely be many Chinese leaders who have similar views, i.e. to make Chinese the only global language. But, as I told Rock, I can't believe that would ever happen as the rest of world would not allow that. Let's wait and see. I will not be here, but you may be a witness ... ;-)

• This reply was deleted.
    • Su Xu, what is the meaning of "hounting" in your third sentence? Do you realize that there is a spell checker on this website (as on all good websites) checking your spelling for you, then underlining your wrong words in red so that you can correct it ...? Why do Chinese students not care about presentation (you are obviously not the only one)?

I agree about the significance of English in the world today. It definitely helps us to live better lives and more informed lives. People who can't speak English are so much poorer than us (and most don't even realize that). And yes, the younger a child is when starting to learn English, the better are the chances of speaking the language fluently as an adult. That has been proven many times.

• Globalization of English is really a good motion, we in the life more and more feel English brings a lot of convenience, and English is everywhere, really it as an international language, all countries in the world are learning English, we will be on the job after dealing with others in English. Therefore, English for each individual, has the very vital significance. So we all want to learn English well.And very much looking forward to tomorrow's debate.

• Thank you for saying that, Shan Tianqi: "we don't understand the meaning of learning English,we just learn and learn...and we lost the interest of it". That is so true. I can see that every day, not only in the classroom, but also from the attitude of students on our campus in general (and surely all over China as our campus can't be the exception). I solemnly believe the problem lies with the system and the people keeping the system in place. They pretend that English is important and therefore insist that it be taught from a young age, but they do absolutely nothing (is my observation) to instil the importance of the language with the students. The very fact that English as subject is not on an equal footing with other Chinese subjects, is proof of that. But they went further and have last year reduced the importance of English at Gaokao with the further plan to take it out of the Curriculum from 2016. This is to the detriment of China's students. A sad day, if you ask me. But why would they believe a foreigner ..? :( 

• Camille, English IS the lingua franca of the world! [Oh, btw, congrats for using that term - you are my first student ever to do that!] And it has been so for probably more than a century, if not longer. It was a practical arrangement, as I understand it, as English is spoken in many countries of the world as mother tongue, and it was therefore obvious that they would use that language as the lingua franca of the world. The Chinese government is in the process of changing that, but they would probably only succeed in about 30 years time. Then the world would probably speak two major languages, English and Chinese. Your grand children would be happy with that! ;-)

• Amy, where did you get your stats from ..?! I agree that only about 377 million people has English as their mother tongue, but English is definitely not the world's second most widely used language! After which language? Chinese?! Come on! Only 1.4 billion people speak Chinese (the world's most mother tongue speakers of one language), but there are more then 1.4 billion people in the world today that can also speak English! India has the world's most English speakers (about 400 million), followed by China (around 300 million they say), then the US (around 350 million), etc. Nevertheless, it's not worth it to argue about; I'm just telling you what I know! ;-)

• Recently, what hit us is a news “Divers search sunken South Korea ferry”. I know that only 174 of the passengers on board were rescued. I fell so sorry about those people who were dead. And most of them were high school students, they were in the best years of the life, but they died in the ferry. It is very unbelievable and I think to their families it is more unbelievable.
    Now, English is the most important language in the world. It is used in many fields. According to statistics, about 15 billion people use English in the world, and over 70 countries use English as their official language. And there will be more and more people use English in the world. English globalization is going on.

• Wu Qiong, where do you get your statistics from ...? According to the latest figures by the WHO, there are 7 billion people in the world as at the end of 2013. Even if all the people who died through the ages are still speaking English today, it would still not bring us to your figures ...! ???

• About the accident happened on the Korea i said i'm very sad.if it was really a murder said to the news the captain and crew really too hateful.but i can't believe it is true.in the word,hope that the deceased rest in peace,their family members as soon as possible walk from the pain.

Mini debate,i think it is very interesting.we can freely express our views in English with classmates.we are not afraid of our English is not good,say what we want to say.so i really like this debate class.it not only can really practice our oral English but also there are a lot of fun.so i will do prepare for it .

• I agree with you, Yunping, it can't be true. Educated and civilized people should never use that kind of language (accusing the captain and his crew of a hateful and murderous deed). Yes, I also feel the captain and some of his crew were grossly negligent and even incompetent, but one doesn't plan these kind of disasters (and murder is the planned killing of another human being). It happened a few months ago in North Korea too when the leader has executed his uncle and he said the most cruel and lowly things about his uncle that one never expects a mature and civilized person to utter. Unfortunately not all leaders have the moral character and dignity one expects from leaders.

This reply was deleted.