(1) Listen to the News by Tara

We'll start the Wednesday classes with the news by Tara.

(2) Mini debate: English Globalization

We'll follow the same format as with our mini debate series: Reading the passage, vocabulary, discussing relevant questions, and finally mini debates in groups of 4.

12 - W10b - Mini-debate English Globalization.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Are you always be a teacher when you got 14 countries?To be a teacher and stop in China maybe not a bad thing.And your dream will come true,I believe you!
    • No, I have only qualified myself as teacher during 2007 and 2008. The other countries I visited as a tourist mostly and in Russia I did some relief work in a rehab center (rehabilitation for ex-drug addicts, ex-alcoholics and ex-convicts) for three months. Well, about the Europe dream, I'm not sure, though I have a friend in Germany who'd been at school with me and he's invited me to visit. I'm thinking of doing that next year during the summer holiday if I can afford it. Maybe he can assist me in traveling a few more European countries. I don't know if that would be possible as I heard that they are very strict with tourists from outside the European Union regarding access and visa's. But time will tell. ;-)

• Oh, the teacher. First of all, sinking in South Korea this time, I said very sad , of course, this is not just for the ships in several Chinese, I also felt sorry for those children, I will pray for them. However, I still very much looking forward to tomorrow's class, as we all know, English is very important for us, if we want more and understand the world, we are going to learn English well. I will learn English well, I promise.

• Glad to read about your good intention to learn English well, Zhang Cong! If you were serious that you believe English to be important for us, then I think you are right. Not many Chinese believe that, but that doesn't make it wrong. It is right because it is true.

By the way, I have a question: More than 650 million Chinese people are atheist. That means they don't believe in God. You mentioned praying for those children ... My question: Who do you then pray to if you are one of the 650 million atheist Chinese? Or are you not one of them? I am curious as I see quite a number of students saying that. ;-)

• This reply was deleted.
    • English is not my mother tongue, Di Xin. English is my second language after my native language, Afrikaans. But I understand the importance of English as global language and that's why I will defend it. It is just so logic and it just makes so much sense that the world speaks English as the lingua franca. And by the way, you haven't been rude; you just spoke what was on your heart. That is your belief. But I think you should consider to adapt your thinking. There is much more than what you believe in. ;-)

• This reply was deleted.
    • Di Xin, don't look through the nationalistic glasses when you want to evaluate world affairs - like the issue about the global language here. That is one of the major fault lines in Chinese society - they want to bring nationalism into everything and then they mess it up and just make enemies. It is so simple to speak a global language so that the peoples of this world can communicate with one another. Had China not isolated themselves from the world for so long, it could have been Chinese. But now it is English as most countries already have a command of the English language. It is just more practical.

By speaking English as second language, it is not required from nobody to give up their mother tongue! Where did you hear that? You must have been having a bad dream, I think ..! And a person speaking another language is in no way betraying his country; as a matter of fact, he's helping his country to become more competitive in a very competitive world as he can then understand the language of the world. The Chinese people who can't see that are like ostriches who stick their heads into the ground and don't want to face reality around them. Come on! You are a university student and should have more vision than what I see here!

• The reading comprehension is always can let us get to know new words,and I'm not good in reading I think I need to learn more new words.And about the "Hinglish" and "Spanglish",did you have heard "Chinglish" before?they has the same specialties.I think English is a global language indeed.And to be a teacher to teach the native language abroad is good,I think.But I just don't have so big courage to face the difficulties in the work of a foreign country till now.But you are brave,See you tomorrow!

• RZH, I don't think I am brave. I would rather believe that I have a calling on my life to help people of other countries to make up in life what they've lost through past events. I was heading for Russia just over 5 years ago, but ended up in China! There is a purpose with everything in one's life, I believe. I am just another common foreigner, but one with a heart (and too many shortcomings) ... ;-)

• Yeah,I can understand.The choice of one person must form the bottom of her/his heart.I said you are brave,because I maybe leave Liaoning to work or continue my study,that means I need to adapt the whole things in my life,especially in a big city,I'll have more stress.So when I look you,you go another country to follow your heart,It's brave.Well,I wonder how many countries have you gone,and why decide to stop in China.Everyone isn't perfect,right?

• Yeah, I guess it's because I am so imperfect that I stopped over in China ..! ;-)

Not many; only 5 outside Africa, and 7 in Africa (apart from my own country). There are about 225 countries in the world! My dream is still to travel Europe before I get too old ..!

This reply was deleted.