Be a Newscaster (2011)

[Note: With almost 10,000 comments here we have decided to start a NEW thread for 2012.  Please join us at Be a Newscaster 2012!]

Every Tuesday English Club publishes a weekly news report. There is a self study exercise to go with the story.

You can practise your speaking by recording your voice as you read the transcript. Upload your report in the comments below by using a program like Audioboo, or by recording it on your computer and using the paperclip above to upload the MP3 file. You can share your recording each week.

You can also record yourself answering the discussion question. Have fun!

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Well, Tara...I tried to record with my computer, uploaded it on MyEC several times, but failed. Uploded with Audiboo, but failed. Then, recorded it with Cinchcast and Audiboo. It seems something wrong is happening with my connection.

Thank for the correction. I'll remember it.

• Hello Ranu,  

What i could hear from your recording was good to my hear, unfortunately, the recording was cut before the end of it. 

• Yes, Manuela. It was cut because the Internet problem. I'll try to submit new one that isn't cut. Thank for hearing my record.
  • I've listened to all of your recordings and have left comments for you. Thanks so much for participating in the weekly news everyone! 

Here is this week's report: Apple Fans Mourn the Loss of Steve Jobs

• Hi Tara! thank you very much for your compliment! I'm really flattered. Well, I've never thought to take journalism as a profession, but I'm thinking of becoming an instant interpreter, hopefully. Thanks again, dear Tara.
  • Hello everybody! here is my recording:

• Hello Lama Amar, you recording is excellent, you have such a great pronunciation ! Where did you learn english ? Have you lived in the States ? Brilliant !!!!
    • Hi Manuella, thank you very much for your nice comment. I'm really flattered. Well... I've never been to the States, but would love to. Let me tell you the secret behind my somehow good pronunciation (keep it between us:-P, ok) alright...I try to keep listening to English all the time, when studying, cleaning, jogging...etc, You may be wondering what I listen to...well, everything in English music and podcasts(VOA Special English), for example. I'm also keen on watching movies and programs all in English. You know,dear I've been studying English for 3 years and feel like this way of practising English is pretty effective. Thanks again, dear. Wish you all the best.
    •  

Hi Lama,

I agreed with Manuela who left me nothing to say :)

I respect for your pronunciation, I have to say that, I have been listening english all the time like you and your way for two and a half year but only there is one exception of watching movie as much as you can, I love tv series but movies are harder than TV, I like very much listening CNN or BBC news, sometimes (regularly) I tag along with CNN Student News, nowadays I've been studying pronunciation because I belive that's necessary for a good speaking as like learning grammar for good writing.

Anyway, all besides, you are gifted really, congratulations ! Bravo :))) (as mentioned from Manuela before )

with my sincerity,

-Selma-

• Hi Selma, it's really so nice of you; thanks a lot, my friend. I agree with you about the importance of learning phonetics 'cuz it helps me a lot in improving my pronunciation. By the way, you're doing a great job by listening to news; it really helps. I feel like the most significant thing is to listen to English, the ways may vary- songs, movies, news, scientific programs...ets, but the aim is one- training our listening skills.

Wish you all the best,

Lama

This reply was deleted.