What Is the Secret Behind the Good Smell After the Rain?

What is the secret behind the good smell after it rains? What makes rain smell so good? when we were children we used to play outside during and after the rain. We noticed that the soil gives a good smelling scent. It is a very pleasant nice aroma. The whole world is happy and optimistic when it rains. Is there any scientific background about it? Superstition may play a role here. I heard that our ancestors used to expect a profitable season after it rains.   

Views: 740

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When the rain comes, the spores are reactivated and begin growing again. As spores resume growth, they produce a chemical called geosmin, which is the chemical known as the smell of rain. The geosmin becomes airborne as the rains pass by and the geosmin is carried away by the wind in front of the weather pattern. We can then smell the geosmin coming ahead of the rain and mistakenly think it is the smell of the coming rain. What we actually smell is the secreted product from the soil microbes

Same comment!

When the rain comes, the spores are reactivated and begin growing again. As spores resume growth, they produce a chemical called geosmin, which is the chemical known as the smell of rain. The geosmin becomes airborne as the rains pass by and the geosmin is carried away by the wind in front of the weather pattern. We can then smell the geosmin coming ahead of the rain and mistakenly think it is the smell of the coming rain. What we actually smell is the secreted product from the soil microbes

Salam ya Ahmed2015! I do not know how that comment of yours was repeated several times. How did it happen? Thanks for your repeated comment.   

Without  rain  there is no life  water  to survive . Survival  for plants  animals  and  mankind ITs  a blessing  in disguise  to feel the  fresh air after a good shower ...

Vanakkam moderator Nadira! You used the term 'survival' and it is the proper word for this discussion. Without the rain, we cannot survive. It is indeed a blessing from our Creator. Lol! I like that expression, (to feel the fresh air after a good shower. Thanks, mod. Nadira for your nice comment. 

Oh  ! Do you think all the people sense such smell? and Do you think they consider it as a good smell? Hmmmm I am not sure. 

Anyway, it reminds of me Pavlov's experiment.Ivan Petrovich Pavlov was a great biologist and his fame is because of his interesting experiment. In his experiment, Pavlov used a bell as his neutral stimulus. Whenever he gave food to his dogs, he also rang a bell. After a number of repeats of this procedure, he tried the bell on its own. As you might expect, the bell on its own now caused an increase in salivation.

I believe that in arid zones where people are suffering from lack of the fresh water this smell is really sensible. Because it's a sign for reviving the nature. So it can be the smell of safety. 

What's your feeling when you see a very thirsty one who finding water?

What's your feeling when you see someone is giving generously?

These are what I feel when I smell the rain, the generosity of sky and clouds and subside the thirst of dry land.

Khaili mumnoon doste khobame! Darius, I am beginning to suspect myself. Is it true that we are different in smelling that odor? In other words, people who live in cold or hot areas smell differently. I have not yet read the other part of Svitlana's comment. I think that explains why the lady said so. I would go back and read the other part of her comment. Thanks, genius Darius for your nice comment. 

There are so many forms of love the Nature shows to its creation in the same way it shows its rage.  Rain is a form of love.    The fragrance comes out of the sand on the earth is the message that crops for the farmers is going to be ripe now because the mother earth is quenching its thirst. Thanks Dara for motivating me.  Please See this:

https://my.englishclub.com/profiles/blogs/the-first-drop-of-rain

Main pahili deka, acha blog, Mishaikh sahib. It is not me who motivated you, but it is your wide and rich imagination. It is true that the rain is the kind of love for us. The mother earth is always kind and ready to give us crops of different kinds. Thanks, Mishaikh for that comment. 

firstly Thanks Mr. Dara for inviting me to have discussion here
rain is a blessing from God, if we pray while raining, our prayers will be answered by God. do you believe it?
to be frankly i dont know the secret behind the good smell of after raining but I do like the smell after it, and when I was a kid i liked to play outside while raining.

kembali! Saya juga tidak tahu. Thanks to Mr. Ahmed2015.he explained the scientific way for that smell that comes after the rain. If you have time, see it. He said that the smell is coming from an organic compound which is called geosmin. It goes up from the soil once the rain hits the ground and the wind takes it up and thus we smell the pleasant aroma. Of course, it is a blessing from God. We pray and pray so that it rains. Thanks, Siti for your nice comment.    

RSS

How to Report a Member
1: Go to member's page. 2: Click "Report Member" at bottom of page. 3: Fill in form and send.

MyEC Terms of Service

Technical HELP

Please DON'T Plagiarize!

Test your level

MyEC Moderators
Robbie
Expector
Nadira
Paula
Onee
Nadiyah
Ma No