What Is the Secret Behind the Good Smell After the Rain?

What is the secret behind the good smell after it rains? What makes rain smell so good? when we were children we used to play outside during and after the rain. We noticed that the soil gives a good smelling scent. It is a very pleasant nice aroma. The whole world is happy and optimistic when it rains. Is there any scientific background about it? Superstition may play a role here. I heard that our ancestors used to expect a profitable season after it rains.   

Views: 740

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Rain is symbol of joy, pleasure.We can even feel the rhythm of rain even with close eyes.Rain wipe out the dirt of our hearts and then we starts to see everything with clean heart.:) 

Main samajgiya aap sota manta, Anum. I thought that you were going to sleep and that you would comment in the morning, I mean today. Anyway, it was early hours of the morning and you managed to write those sweet words about the rain. 

The rain symbolizes joy, pleasure, I will add also, new hopes. Morally, it removes the dirt of our heart. I like that sentence a lot. (The rain wipes out the dirt of our hearts ..) We need clean hearts these days, don't we Anum? Thanks, Anum for your nice words.

When the rain comes, the spores are reactivated and begin growing again. As spores resume growth, they produce a chemical called geosmin, which is the chemical known as the smell of rain. The geosmin becomes airborne as the rains pass by and the geosmin is carried away by the wind in front of the weather pattern. We can then smell the geosmin coming ahead of the rain and mistakenly think it is the smell of the coming rain. What we actually smell is the secreted product from the soil microbes

Shookrun ya Ahmed2015! Educational and I am going to add that to my library. So, the sweet pleasant aroma comes from that organic compound which it is called geosmin. I am just a layman in this field. I thought that it comes from the rain itself.

That was really helpful and it gives us more details about the strong nice aroma that comes after it rains. Thank you Ahmed2015 for you useful explanation about that smell.

When the rain comes, the spores are reactivated and begin growing again. As spores resume growth, they produce a chemical called geosmin, which is the chemical known as the smell of rain. The geosmin becomes airborne as the rains pass by and the geosmin is carried away by the wind in front of the weather pattern. We can then smell the geosmin coming ahead of the rain and mistakenly think it is the smell of the coming rain. What we actually smell is the secreted product from the soil microbes

Tamam ya Ahmed2015! Science always has to say its word. I forgot to ask, the rain hits the soil and from there that geosmin goes up and the wind brings it to our nostrils, is that it, Ahmed? Thanks again.

When the rain comes, the spores are reactivated and begin growing again. As spores resume growth, they produce a chemical called geosmin, which is the chemical known as the smell of rain. The geosmin becomes airborne as the rains pass by and the geosmin is carried away by the wind in front of the weather pattern. We can then smell the geosmin coming ahead of the rain and mistakenly think it is the smell of the coming rain. What we actually smell is the secreted product from the soil microbesWhen the rain comes, the spores are reactivated and begin growing again. As spores resume growth, they produce a chemical called geosmin, which is the chemical known as the smell of rain. The geosmin becomes airborne as the rains pass by and the geosmin is carried away by the wind in front of the weather pattern. We can then smell the geosmin coming ahead of the rain and mistakenly think it is the smell of the coming rain. What we actually smell is the secreted product from the soil microbes

Subhana Allah, ya Ahmed! Some bacteria are useful for our health, and some bacteria plays a great role in giving us that sweet odor. 

When the rain comes, the spores are reactivated and begin growing again. As spores resume growth, they produce a chemical called geosmin, which is the chemical known as the smell of rain. The geosmin becomes airborne as the rains pass by and the geosmin is carried away by the wind in front of the weather pattern. We can then smell the geosmin coming ahead of the rain and mistakenly think it is the smell of the coming rain. What we actually smell is the secreted product from the soil microbesWhen the rain comes, the spores are reactivated and begin growing again. As spores resume growth, they produce a chemical called geosmin, which is the chemical known as the smell of rain. The geosmin becomes airborne as the rains pass by and the geosmin is carried away by the wind in front of the weather pattern. We can then smell the geosmin coming ahead of the rain and mistakenly think it is the smell of the coming rain. What we actually smell is the secreted product from the soil microbes

Oops, Ahmed, I guess this is the same comment as before.

A repetition of the comment. 

RSS

How to Report a Member
1: Go to member's page. 2: Click "Report Member" at bottom of page. 3: Fill in form and send.

MyEC Terms of Service

Technical HELP

Please DON'T Plagiarize!

Test your level

MyEC Moderators
Robbie
Expector
Nadira
Paula
Onee
Nadiyah
Ma No

Josef Essberger

Official MyEC Page

Official MyEC Welcoming Committee

Forum

Do you love fashion?

Started by Glosky in General Discussion. Last reply by Zivi 13 hours ago. 7 Replies

ANTIVIRUS ALAMR

Started by WinnieThePooh in Technical HELP. Last reply by O. M. yesterday. 2 Replies

Listen, think, then speak

Started by Zarkasy in General Discussion. Last reply by Onee-chan on Friday. 1 Reply

Woman's Day

Started by dara gino in General Discussion. Last reply by Glosky on Tuesday. 36 Replies

Hello

Started by Glosky in Introduce Yourself :)). Last reply by Glosky Mar 18. 6 Replies

Hi everone

Started by Júlio Rodrigues in Introduce Yourself :)). Last reply by Onee-chan Mar 17. 1 Reply

O.M.G

Started by _SERA in General Discussion. Last reply by _SERA Aug 4, 2013. 467 Replies

About

© 2019   Created by Joe Essberger.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report Member  |  Terms of Service