Whenever I read profiles of members, I ask myself these questions many times1) How do we come to know our English level?2) Why do we set it on our profile?I will let you know later on how I got to know my English level.I know we all have done it on EC. So, share your experience of setting your profileThank in advance :)

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Sir, T Mal,
      That's true! There are four macro skills in a language, all of them are significant for a learner. But as a learner, these questions crossed my mind, may I know these questions?

1) Can listening and speaking, without acquiring formal or informal education, enable a person to read and write?

2) Can we improve spellings by listening?

3) Can an illiterate person, who listens and speaks his native language very well, achieve his professional goals ?

4) Can the deafs and dumbs learn how to read and write?

Sir, all of my questions don't imply I deny the importance of rest two skills (listening and speaking), but my point is that we can enhance them ( listening and speaking) by getting familiarity with its syntactic rules which is only possible by reading and writing here on EC.

Thank you so much for sharing your viewpoints, which enhance our knowledge.
    • 1 I answered this in my first post

2 Not with English because English is not a phonetic language.  You need a very good understanding of English phonics

3 No because the are no professions that do not require literacy

4 Of course Deaf and Mute people can read and right.  Reading and righting are visual skills, even blind people can touch read. (braille)

• Sir Josef,

"development in any one skill is enhanced by development in the other skills"

If it is so, do listening and speaking, without acquiring formal or informal education, enable a person to read and write?

The deafs and dumbs are another example I may refer here. They, despite having inability to listen and speak, learn how to read and write. Besides this, spelling always does matter while writing, can we improve it by listening?

In the light of these examples, it has been quite difficult for me to say to how much extent, listening and speaking feed off reading and writing. Whereas, there isn't any hesitation in saying that reading and writing enhance development in listening and speaking skills to the greater extent.

In a nutshell, the more we read the better we write. Similarly, the more we listen, the better we speak. They both falls into two different categories and requir two different environment.

So far as specific GOALS is concerned, an illiterate person can listen and speak his native language very well, but unable to achieve his professional goals nor may he be considered literate. Hence, the greatest command over writing can bring about success in academic as well as professional career. This is my humble observation. Pls correct if there is anything wrong?

Sir, thank you so much for giving me a chance to express my understanding about a language.
    • Arif you seem to have got most of Josef's point.  If we look at children, they learn to speak by listening to their parents and siblings then repeating what they hear through trial and error.

Then traditionally later, we learn the alphabet and sounds of a language that we can make and hear.  This progresses to words and the sight of these 'symbols' our brain converts to the sounds of words. This demonstrates how closely links all 4 language skills are linked.

The teaching process continues until the learners are independent and can read and write independently.  The learner can now access lots of new vocabulary and a whole new world of learning, entertainment and enlightenment is opened up to them.

• Sir Josef and Competent Authority,

I did note it and also did agree with whole of his context, but responded to this part of his comments.
      "There are plenty of websites where you can get an assessment of some of your skills in English"

As most of us improve our diction and syntactic rules/structures of English through bloging or commenting on EC. Hence, we are more concerned about our level in relevant skill. In short, For online learning, online assessment is sufficient, isn't it? Pls correct me if I m wrong.

Finally, I am so much glad to know that test level is also available on EC, though it isn't genuine assessment. Before this, I had no idea that the search box at the top of every page on EnglishClub could help us find such a useful link. :)

Thank you so much for sharing it with us and creating such a lovely site.

Have a pleasant day ahead!
    • > As most of us improve our diction and syntactic rules/structures of English through bloging or commenting on EC. Hence, we are more concerned about our level in relevant skill. In short, For online learning, online assessment is sufficient, isn't it? Pls correct me if I m wrong.

The whole question is a bit more complicated than that, but for SOME people, depending on what their specific GOALS are, what you say may be true. But in general, progress in language learning does depend on all 4 macro-skills (listening, speaking, reading, writing). They feed off each other. Development in any one skill is enhanced by development in the other skills.

• Dear Competent Authority,
      I am so glad that you 've appreciated my idea by featuring "test your level" on right side of our page.

Thank you so much!

I wish MYEC all the best!
    • Sir T Mal,
      I totally agree with you, but when this site makes all possible efforts to help us improve all skills of English, why should we go out or look for other sites to ascertain our level ? So,keeping in view of its importance we, as members of this lovely site, like its competent authority to feature such assessment test on each members' page.

Thank you so much for adding very useful comments
    • If you enter "test your level" (or similar) in the search box at the top of every page on EnglishClub you will find:
      http://www.englishclub.com/esl-exams/levels-test-wc.htm

But note that as T Mal suggests you're unlikely to get a genuine assessment online.

• Agree with the test. Maybe, we asked to set it on the profile, so the others can choose who will be their partner...

Maybe, higher ability will atract more people here... Hehe...
This reply was deleted.