Which one is correct and why?

Hello Experts!

I want  to know which sentence, from given below list, is more grammatically correct and why? Please provide your comments along with explanations? Thanks in advance.

Sentence#1 There is a big, dark and scary jungle behind the hill.

Sentence#2 There is dark, big and scary jungle behind the hill.

Sentence#3 There is a scary, big and dark jungle behind the hill.

Sentence#4 There is a scary, dark and big jungle behind the hill.

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• i think that 3 is good . reason due to adjective order

• Look man , look ...The first  one is grammatically  correct as Essberger and rysperski said.,The other three  sentences  are acceptable in daily  English spoken countries...2) Open your eyes, re-read your writings before published ! (  Master of Experts A.M.)

• 1 & 4 are okay from my standpoint. There are some errors remaining two. But If I were to choose one among the four sentences, I would choose 4 because it sounds good to me. Sometimes times I study grammar rules and I struggle a lot to remember those rules when I am in need of them. So this is hard for me explaining the rules. Rys has done a great job by bringing the rules googling here. And I am amazed to see that there is a rule for ordering adjectives in a sentence. 

• >>>
    There is a big, dark, scary jungle behind the hill.
    This sounds right to my English ears. Interestingly it contradicts the normal rule (à la Rysperski) that fact adjectives are placed closer to the noun than opinion adjectives:
    https://www.englishclub.com/grammar/adjectives-order.htm
    I think it's because in this case "scary" is the most important adjective for the speaker and the one the speaker wants to emphasize as if it were fact.

• Rysperski has explained it all. :)) 

• Oi there,

To my liking, the following sentense seems to sound grammatically correct: "There is a scary, big and dark junglet behind the hill."

Here is what uncle googles says on this particular grammar issue:

Order of adjectives

When more than one adjective comes before a noun, the adjectives are normally in a particular order. Adjectives which describe opinions or attitudes (e.g. amazing) usually come first, before more neutral, factual ones (e.g. red):

She was wearing an amazing red coat.

Not: … red amazing coat

If we don’t want to emphasise any one of the adjectives, the most usual sequence of adjectives is:

order

relating to

examples

opinion

unusual, lovely, beautiful

size

big, small, tall

physical quality

thin, rough, untidy

shape

round, square, rectangular

young, old, youthful

colour

blue, red, pink

origin

Dutch, Japanese, Turkish

material

metal, wood, plastic

type

general-purpose, four-sided, U-shaped

purpose

cleaning, hammering, cooking

It was made of a 1strange, 6green, 8metallic material.

It’s a 2long, 4narrow, 8plastic brush.

Panettone is a 4round, 7Italian, 9bread-like Christmas cake.

Here are some invented examples of longer adjective phrases. A noun phrase which included all these types would be extremely rare.

She was a 1beautiful, 2tall, 3thin, 5young, 6black-haired, 7Scottish woman.

What an 1amazing, 2little, 5old, 7Chinese cup and saucer!

Adjectives joined by and

When more than one adjective occurs after a verb such as be (a linking verb), the second last adjective is normally connected to the last adjective by and:

Home was always a warm, welcoming place. Now it is sad, dark and cold.

And is less common when more than one adjective comes before the noun (e.g. a warm, welcoming place). However, we can use and when there are two or more adjectives of the same type, or when the adjectives refer to different parts of the same thing:

It was a blue and green cotton shirt.

This reply was deleted.