Some words doesn't exist in a different language in one only word and need to be explained somehow. Can you share any?

In Spanish (from Spain) I know these ones, some of them really curious that doesn't exist in English...

-'Tutear' (verb):  addressing someone in an informal way. This makes sense in my language since there's a variant in the second person (you) used formally when addressing old (or older) people, higher rank, or simply when we meet someone we don't know even with similar age.  (To be honest I hate it when childs address me like that)

-'Empalagar' (verb):   when you eat something which is extremely sweet for your taste that makes you sick. Used also as an adjective.

-'Sujetavelas' (noun): it's like an unwanted extra person who goes out with a couple (yeah.. annoying)

-'Estadounidense':   Native from the USA. This is actually the most shocking to me and I guess that's why they call themselves Americans or North Americans but can be controversial for other citizens from the American continent. In this way I'd say this confusion is caused by the lack of this simple word.

-'Entrecejo' (noun):  the space between the eyebrows (awful word btw)

-'Estrenar' (verb):   Use / wear / perform something for the first time (I believe this words exists in your language, no?

-'Friolero' (adj):  someone who is sensitive to the cold weather or dislike it.

I might be wrong and some of these words do exists in English, in such case let me know.  

Inversely there're English words that doesn't exist in my language like the last one I learned; 'jaywalking'. I'd have never believe this word could exist in any language  :D

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• there is so much words.. my mother language is Turkish. I'll write in Turkish.

"İmrenmek" (verb): "imrenmek" mean "ı love this,too. I am happy for her/his, I wish I were in the same situation."

ıt's like "be jealous" but it isn't. it's mean in Turkish " he/she does not deserve this, I should have been in that situation. not he/she."

• Thank you Irem, I learned some Turkish words in your country, well I forgot half already haha... anyway I got surprised lot of shopkeepers talked to me in my language. Really skilled for languages!

•       It is a nice topic, but it needs deep research in my language. God bless you.

• Hi Swear, if your mother language is Arabic I believe it's even more rich than English.  Actually many of spanish words come from Arabic.

•      Yes my friend, I agree with you. Thanks a lot. God bless you. 

• Yeah, it is actually more accurate to say 'Estadounidense' or people from USA than saying 'Norteamericano' - 'North American' when we are referring only to ppl who is from the USA... We shouldn't forget there are other nations in the North of America :P    ** Not to mention when we refer to ppl from USA only as 'Americans' ¬¬  **

• That's it. Although I expected you to enlarge my list  :/

• By the way, I remember a blog of mine related this topic: https://www.myenglishclub.com/blogs/writing-challenge-invent-a-word...

Thank you for posting this discussion, Estanis.

Have a good day! 

Writing Challenge: Invent a Word (failaughy, kitchild, lovennoyed, windin)
    failaughy | adjective | / feilɒːfɪ / describes someone who has a joke so poorly told and so unfunny that one cannot help but laugh. Someone who seeks…
  • I think of one word: WEDANGEN

This is Javanese. It means feeling poignant after touching chile.

• Wow Onee... really!?   I don't  know such feeling for chile :o

This reply was deleted.